Super-Shuttle DIA Frequencies, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOXMAN

I have a question: Does anyone know what frequencies are used by the Super Shuttle from DIA? I have assumed they might've been in the 460-470 MHZ Range, on the business band sections of that slice of spectrum, but is there anyone here in Colorado that can confirm what I have just wrote? Or are their frequencies not listed at all here on RadioReference? I have traveled on the Super Shuttle Vans and know they operate Motorola radios and are on simplex from a base somewhere in Ft. Collins, but that's all I know. Furthermore are the frequencies they use analog, digital, or are they in encrypted mode? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
The majority of the SuperShuttle operations around the country (other than Colorado) are holding licenses in the company's own name out of Arizona. BUT ... You won't find a SuperShuttle licensee in Colorado. Their other operations use some combination of 452/457, 815/860, 811/856 kinds of frequencies.

Interesting story on that outfit, and could be why, if you've been searching the FCC database for your answer, you weren't able to find it. The company that owns them is a French multinational called Veolia. Of interest, there are no licenses in Colorado in that name, either (and in other states, they're in the waste management business). My guess is that the units are still licensed to the previous owner (Shamrock Airport Express) and didn't get switched under the new ownership a couple of years back. If you can figure out who the owner was or the LLC back then, it's probably listed that way.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
A few years ago I caught a Super Shuttle on an LTR system I was monitoring out of Boulder.
I knew it was SS because the driver was talking about a coupon for SS service or something.

They could be on several systems covering different areas of the state. SS acquired the services in Ft. Collins and may have taken over the prior outfit's radios.

FOXMAN

@ecanderson

I Tried searching the FCC Database, including archive licenses today, using Shamrock Airport Express and it's older name Shamrock Transportation Service, Inc (or it was something like that-it was found with an online search) and still came up empty.

FOXMAN

@ NW0U

Thanks for the information, but can you remember which bands were utilized by that trunking system? Were they closer to 800 MHz or 460 MHz? It might be hard to remember given it was a few years back, but any help on this would be appreciated.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
@ecanderson

I Tried searching the FCC Database, including archive licenses today, using Shamrock Airport Express and it's older name Shamrock Transportation Service, Inc (or it was something like that-it was found with an online search) and still came up empty.
Yes, I tried for you there as well (better part of an hour - I was determined to find SOMETHING!) and also came up blank. The problem is that the old Shamrock service may have had its license(s) held in the name of the individual that owned the company or in the name of an LLC or somesuch that didn't include the word "Shamrock". Unless we could sort out the name of the person or LLC under which the old service was operating, finding an license like that would be a total crap shoot.

I don't have any trips planned near term, but perhaps next time somebody rides, they can take a handheld with them <g>. The freqs they are using in their other service areas (per prior post) are all over the map, and of course, there's no assurance that the old company's vehicles used anything similar.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack the thread, but another I've never been able to find is USAirport Parking. Whatever they're using for a license name, it isn't to be found in that set of words. There's a license for "DIA AIRPORT PARKING, LLC", but that must be another of the local parking outfits. They show the transmitter location for that listing as "39-50-16.0 N, 104-41-22.0 W", and that's up by Pena and Jackson Gap out by the car rental outfits, not down at 81st and Tower were USAP is located.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
@N0WU - heck of a catch!

CARA is operating under a license as "COLORADO SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ASC. INC". They've got one site up on Eldo, and another up on Squaw.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
@N0WU - heck of a catch!

CARA is operating under a license as "COLORADO SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ASC. INC". They've got one site up on Eldo, and another up on Squaw.

I spent a lot of time listening and figuring out how to crack LTR systems. They can be quite the puzzle.
Spreadsheets and good note-taking were required.

The learning here is that there are radio system suppliers who get the licenses. License searches won't reveal who is using the service - only who owns and operates it.

I wrote up what I learned in cracking those systems and put it in the wiki here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/LTR_Mapping_with_RS_Pro-97

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
@NW0U

Thanks so much! I can't wait to program my scanner!

Don't be surprised if SS has changed talkgroups or if that's just one route among many they serve.
I wasn't pursuing them in particular, I just got lucky hearing an identifying transmission.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.