SVRCS Question Thread

jwpottberg

Premium Subscriber
Fallback Plan?

Anybody know the fallback plan/frequencies for SVRCS when the system is down? There have been issues today with bad reception in areas and I noticed big gaps in traffic, so I wondered if they went someplace else in the meantime. (Maybe some fixed conventional repeaters in the 700 MHz band?)

Jim

scannermike11

Banned
700 MHz will always be bad the work around is to put repeaters all over the place it take two time as many repeaters
as it will take on a vhf system that is why it is going to system take a long time to make this system work right
but the county is getting pressured from HLS TO PUT IN THIS SYSTEM when they already
have systems that work

scannermike11

Banned
this system on in Fremont

what has changed i can now hear this system on in Fremont
have they turn on a new site

Stealthguy05

Heard Mountain View training on the new system today. A few weekends ago, there was some San Jose Fire traffic on a new TG as well. Has anyone heard anymore San Jose fire ops since then? My SDS100 was showing some of the SJ Fire traffic as encrypted. Hopefully, it was just a fluke of the scanner.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
This thread is intended for questions regarding SVRCS. For example;

how to program
reception issues
etc

The other thread is intended for SVRCS updates.
For example;

Discussing users on the system
New talkgroups

Having seperate threads regarding SVRCS will help out some of the clutter in each, which is similar to what we did with the EBRCS thread.

Thanks

I know KMA371 has been MIA, but hopefully another moderator may see and respond. The "other thread" seems to be closed:
https://forums.radioreference.com/t...-regional-communications-system-svrcs.278664/

...do we want to discuss new TGIDs here, or should the other thread be re-opened?

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this thread and database entry. Since so many folks are interested in PS over IG, I don't typically contribute to PS systems. As I saw some more TGIDs trickle in, I became more interested in this system. I live in Mountain View, and can copy the West Cell very well.

I see that there are TGIDs assigned to MV. Does anyone know when they will actively start using the system?

I decided to setup my SDS100 in Trunking Discovery mode to see what else I may be able to contribute. After a couple of days, here is what I found:
1151 - Confirm that it is Los Altos PD. I just missed the DB update for this TGID, and it showed up as "new" on my radio.
1509 - Not present in RR DB. It sounds like Animal Control for Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Altos. It falls near 1501 and 1502, which are TGIDs that are assigned to PAPD.

4790 - Not present in RR DB. It falls within the VTA talkgroup range, between 4781 and 4797. Don't know VTA traffic well enough to know if this is assigned to bus or rail operations.
4794 - Not present in RR DB. Sounds VTA related.
4796 - Not present in RR DB. Sounds VTA related.

Will need to setup another radio to scan VTA frequencies to see what may match up.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to the contributor who contributed to the latest update. I can verify some of the newly submitted TGIDs. The LR2 was announced over the air. And I heard enough of Palo Alto's Animal Control to verify it as well. They seem to cover Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Altos.

Spoke to a Los Altos Police officer today, they told me that they have a bunch of other channels besides their legacy "Dispatch" and "Secondary" frequencies. Been running my SDS100 in discovery mode, but still haven't found anything new.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
A couple of questions for RR.com DB admins and those of you monitoring the rollout of this system. At what point should the conventional systems the SVRCS replaces be "removed"? And what is the appropriate removal?

It is interesting to see just how "obsolete" my HP-1 has become in Santa Clara county. There are only three or four trunked system in the county (LTR, EDACS and 900MHz Moto TII) that I can monitor with the radio. I'm having it monitor a couple of the agencies (LAPD and SCC VTA for now) that I suspect have moved off of their analog frequencies.

How much dead air before we declare it dead?
Better to remove frequencies entirely or change to "Deprecated"?

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
Please excuse my basic question here: I'm upgrading radios to a 996P2 and I'd like to load SVRCS into it. The amount of data for the system is daunting. What's the easiest way to get that into the 996? Up until now I've only been watching the conventional channels, so I have zero experience with the trunked stuff. Is there a Wiki or an article somewhere that lays out how to get it right?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not much up on this system, but you should see this site coming on line pretty soon (if it isn't already, someone let me know)

Copernicus Peak, just above/behind Mt. Hamilton. 120 foot tower was installed a bit back to get over the top of Hamilton. Eventually the two microwave shots will get mounted below the tophat.

K7lBEOR.jpg

ks6pd

Bummer, according to the database updates, SJPD is going encrypted on all of their dispatch channels?

ks6pd

Fortunately plenty of other stuff to listen to still, but SJPD was always been the fun stuff. Been listening to them since 1990 when my step-dad bought be my first Pro-oh i forgot what scanner for my 10th bday. I was the coolest kid in school for a day lol

dougk911

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this thread and database entry. Since so many folks are interested in PS over IG, I don't typically contribute to PS systems. As I saw some more TGIDs trickle in, I became more interested in this system. I live in Mountain View, and can copy the West Cell very well.

I see that there are TGIDs assigned to MV. Does anyone know when they will actively start using the system?

I decided to setup my SDS100 in Trunking Discovery mode to see what else I may be able to contribute. After a couple of days, here is what I found:
1151 - Confirm that it is Los Altos PD. I just missed the DB update for this TGID, and it showed up as "new" on my radio.
1509 - Not present in RR DB. It sounds like Animal Control for Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Altos. It falls near 1501 and 1502, which are TGIDs that are assigned to PAPD.

4790 - Not present in RR DB. It falls within the VTA talkgroup range, between 4781 and 4797. Don't know VTA traffic well enough to know if this is assigned to bus or rail operations.
4794 - Not present in RR DB. Sounds VTA related.
4796 - Not present in RR DB. Sounds VTA related.

Will need to setup another radio to scan VTA frequencies to see what may match up.

Mountain View PD and FD converted to SVRCS on Wednesday morning 11/20/19, FYI.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Trying to find things to do with my SDS100 during the quarantine. I've been running the radio in Discovery mode to try and see if I can find new TGIDs. I've found a few. I'll post when I get my notes organized.

My question (and maybe this should be asked in the DB forum)… How long is a reasonable amount of time to monitor a TGID before it should be marked as "E", instead of "DE"?

I was thinking about this when someone was asking about SJPD. Most of my monitoring is in Search mode, so if a TGID is encrypted full time I won't really know unless it is an agency I'm actively interested in. When someone asked about SJPD, I configured the radio to only scan those TGIDs and over a Saturday afternoon, all of the recordings showed Encryption.

Beyond SJPD and the various city PD tactical TGIDs, I've noticed that the Stanford DPS are Encrypted.

I was thinking of trying to create a master list of full time encryption, scanning/recording them and verifying what I think are full time encrypted are actually full time encrypted.

Thoughts?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
My question (and maybe this should be asked in the DB forum)… How long is a reasonable amount of time to monitor a TGID before it should be marked as "E", instead of "DE"?
The mode column provides us with 2 separate pieces of information (in this case). First, D, means Phase I digital; where a T would mean Phase II digital (for example). The added E (or e for part-time encryption) indicates the channel is encrypted.

Putting only an E in the mode column would eliminate the main reason for the information (what is the modulation mode). So a coulmn should never be marked E instead of DE (or TE).

If you're asking about how long to monitor a TG before deciding it is E, that's up to you. I usually program E TGs in (so they are not stopped on by wild cards if for no other reason) and then soft-lock them after confirmation; or hard lock them out on a TG by TG basis.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
The mode column provides us with 2 separate pieces of information (in this case). First, D, means Phase I digital; where a T would mean Phase II digital (for example). The added E (or e for part-time encryption) indicates the channel is encrypted.

Thanks! I forgot that there was an E/e distinction. In that case, the TGID is properly marked in the database.