Swapped out the OEM wire on my Par EF SWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
Love the antenna, it has done wonders in lowering my noise floor in my shack. I recently decided that the 35 foot of wire it comes with was too short to maximize the space I had out in the yard. Ran a new 100 foot wire in an inverted L about 25 feet up in the trees and added a new isolated 6 foot ground bar outside at the feedline. All I can say is wow, this paired with my Drake SW8 I am picking up so many new stations I have never heard before and this combo is a beast on HF HAM reception now. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone that may have dealt with noise in the past.

pjxii

+1 on the EF-SWL. Maybe the best commercial antenna currently available.
I recently picked up a discontinued RF Systems MLB that I'd eventually like to compare to the PAR. I've had RF System products before and they were all excellent products.

nanZor

I'll second that! I use many different antenna wires with it, because I can't bring myself to hack up that nice flex-weave.

The lower frequency response down to about 1 mhz makes it nice for AM BCB and 160m dx'ing. The ground / no ground isolation jumper has come in handy when changing antenna designs. It is a nice binocular-core transformer, with a wide bandwidth, and is not an autotransformer afaik.

Put that in a sturdy chassis - stainless hardware etc means it will last in the real world. Mine even came with some anti-seize grease on the threads, which was a nice touch that shows they care about the product.

Could I build my own for $6 ? Not likely. To me, the cost is worth it, and is the "standard" against which I judge other baluns / ununs / isolators to in the rx-only environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.