Switch Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufust

I am looking for suggestions on a way to isolate my radio and scanner antennas.I have to mount them on the same pole but won't use them at the same time.Is the scanner being off good enough or do I have to disconnect it?I don't need to blow the scanner.Is there a manual switch that will isolate it well enough?
Thanks

fyrfyter33

I am looking for suggestions on a way to isolate my radio and scanner antennas.I have to mount them on the same pole but won't use them at the same time.Is the scanner being off good enough or do I have to disconnect it?I don't need to blow the scanner.Is there a manual switch that will isolate it well enough?

Thanks

The scanner being off should be plenty.

If you really want to, they make 3 position switches for antennas, where one position is the ground.

I guess it also depends upon what you are scanning. I use my scanner here on 800MHz while using the radio on 2m & 70cm.

majoco

Stirrer
You say "radio" but what radio frequency and how much power? Up to about 25W 2m/70cm I would think would be safe, but anything above that I would start getting cautious. I've popped front end transistors of an ordinary domestic radio with a whip antenna with 100Watts of HF into a trap vertical from about 20feet away.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
+1 on fyrfyter33 and majoco's advice.

If you can, put the scanner antenna higher on the pole than the "radio" antenna. Vertical separation is your friend.

To carry the project into the extreme, you could install a carrier operated antenna switch that would bring the scanner antenna feed to ground whenever the "radio" is keyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.