Yaesu: System Fusion long distance contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadresh

Recently I have been reading online articles and watching videos to understand digital modes. Main D-Star, DMR and Yaesu System Fusion.

In D-Star and DMR, I can use my local repeater and connect to people anywhere in the world. For this I do not need to have internet connection on my radio.

How do I achieve the same using System Fusion? How do I choose the contact from a different state, which is miles away from me?

w2xq

Mentor
I am no expert and haven't purchased a C4FM radio yet, but from the reading I have done and talking with a friend who takes care of a YSF repeater near me...

I think one uses Wires-X nodes to communicate with others *not* on your local repeater. Nodes may be found here: https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/id_usa.php

You will have to look at your user manual to see how to use the keypad to connect to a node.

HTH.

bhadresh

Thanks W2XQ.

This means that with C4FM (System Fusion) I have to buy additional equipment other than the radio to make wide range communication.

Whereas in case of DMR / D-Star, I can use my local repeater to do so.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks W2XQ.

This means that with C4FM (System Fusion) I have to buy additional equipment other than the radio to make wide range communication.

Whereas in case of DMR / D-Star, I can use my local repeater to do so.

No, if your local C4FM Fusion repeater has a WIRES-X node connected, or associated with it, then you won't need to buy any additional hardware. I recommend checking on https://www.repeaterbook.com/ for Fusion repeaters near you. Look for WIRES-X in the listings. Your Yaesu radio will have a separate WIRES-X manual that will explain how to make use of WIRES-X functionality.

If you aren't fortunate enough to have a WIRES-X served repeater near you, you can purchase the Yaesu HRI-200 to set up your own node. You will need either a FTM-100DR or a FTM-400DXR to act as the node radio (if you want to use digital voice). You will also need a computer to run the Yaesu WIRES-X software that controls the HRI-100.

73, Greg

ButchGone

I've used DStar, DMR and Fusion, and Fusion is the simplest to use and has the best audio quality. If you don't have a local Wires-X node or Wires-x enabled repeater, you can use your own hotspot to access reflectors that bridge into the Wires-x system. SharkRF OpenSpot, Zumspot, Nanospot, DV Mega are a few examples. Fusion uses C4FM modulation with error correction, which is also used with DMR and P25. DStar uses Gmsk, an old technology with no error correction, which is why the audio quality isn't up to par and causes digital "garble" noise people call "R2D2".
..BG

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Fusion uses C4FM modulation with error correction, which is also used with DMR and P25.
/QUOTE]

By definition, DMR does not use C4FM in TDMA applications. C4FM is a form of 4FSK (which DMR does use) and one of the qualifications to be considered C4FM is it must be a continuous waveform and due to the nature of TDMA uplinks (you could technically classify the downlink as C4FM though SU's only listen to the timeslot of interest). NXDN is another C4FM based modulation scheme.

wrath

Just a word of caution system fusion is still in its infancy of digital radio ,its a virtual ghost town currently and wires X is a reboot of wires that was out 30 years ago and went nowhere if you want to play digital get an openspot from Shark, but investing in another fusion radio and wires X box is a big investment to watch virtual RF tumbleweeds , play with the DMR and explore the digital realm for awhile, this is the same advice passed to me by some sys ops when I considered doing it investing in digital Node is expensive , you can run an analog Node of of any radio somewhere around here i have destructions to wire an HRI200 into my Kenwood 710GA theres a lot of ins and out of fusion you can play with just the radio, there has also been alot chatter that the FTM 100 & lower priced models do not give you all the features and benefits of FTM400 SO a radio and wires box and cables are gonna set you ,Ssoback just south of $800 to basicly be lonely ( although if you look on all the ham buy sell trade boards periodicly lots of gear and wires boxes show up ,because guys bought the whole 9 yards and couldn't get a QSO so they get frustrated and dump it).
Don't shoot the messenger , so realy stick to what you can do without buying lots of gear until more people get involved , Yaesu fusion repeaters were given away ,the model one was very buggy and incompatible with most things ,so it didn't take off and now the model two is out but people had so much grief with model one they are staying away from model 2.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

gonefishn1

Yaesu system Fusion (C4FM) works just fine. I use it all the time. I have Dstar also, and I like C4FM better. There is nothing wrong with the Yaesu model 2 repeaters. I use them all the time also. I cant speak for the model 1. Its very easy to use, no signing up or registering like with Dstar and DMR. With Yaesu I just turn on the radio and select C4FM or wires-X and run with it.

CQ

Think Again

Just a word of caution system fusion is still in its infancy of digital radio ,its a virtual ghost town currently and wires X is a reboot of wires that was out 30 years ago and went nowhere if you want to play digital get an openspot from Shark, but investing in another fusion radio and wires X box is a big investment to watch virtual RF tumbleweeds , play with the DMR and explore the digital realm for awhile, this is the same advice passed to me by some sys ops when I considered doing it investing in digital Node is expensive , you can run an analog Node of of any radio somewhere around here i have destructions to wire an HRI200 into my Kenwood 710GA theres a lot of ins and out of fusion you can play with just the radio, there has also been alot chatter that the FTM 100 & lower priced models do not give you all the features and benefits of FTM400 SO a radio and wires box and cables are gonna set you ,Ssoback just south of $800 to basicly be lonely ( although if you look on all the ham buy sell trade boards periodicly lots of gear and wires boxes show up ,because guys bought the whole 9 yards and couldn't get a QSO so they get frustrated and dump it).
Don't shoot the messenger , so realy stick to what you can do without buying lots of gear until more people get involved , Yaesu fusion repeaters were given away ,the model one was very buggy and incompatible with most things ,so it didn't take off and now the model two is out but people had so much grief with model one they are staying away from model 2.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

What ever you do, don't try to decipher this incoherent babble.

There's plenty of traffic in different rooms. Going the cheap route with dongles is going to leave you frustrated and a less than stellar Wires-X experience. Unfortunately those dongles have degraded the Wires-X quality.

gonefishn1

What ever you do, don't try to decipher this incoherent babble.

There's plenty of traffic in different rooms. Going the cheap route with dongles is going to leave you frustrated and a less than stellar Wires-X experience. Unfortunately those dongles have degraded the Wires-X quality.

+1

System Fusion works fine and I have more than enough contacts every single day!

Status
Not open for further replies.