Systems in Saudi Arabia Some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlmr

even if i programme the Motorola system or something else ?

Correctly programming in the Motorola system (or whatever trunking system) would put your scanner into the correct mode to receive, convert from digital to analog, and provide the audio to you.

But -

If that audio is encrypted there is "NO" equipment available to scanner enthusiasts that will undo the encryption. And in answer to any question about "will there ever be scanners that can undo encryption?" - NO.

If the system has any digital talkgroups that are not encrypted, setting your scanner up correctly will help you listen.

Sudyal

Correctly programming in the Motorola system (or whatever trunking system) would put your scanner into the correct mode to receive, convert from digital to analog, and provide the audio to you.

But -

If that audio is encrypted there is "NO" equipment available to scanner enthusiasts that will undo the encryption. And in answer to any question about "will there ever be scanners that can undo encryption?" - NO.

If the system has any digital talkgroups that are not encrypted, setting your scanner up correctly will help you listen.
ok one of my friends works in Police dept ,, so if i got the model number for his mobile radio and some info will help me to programming my scanner from the radio model ?

cubn

Database Admin
Here is an article about a type of ANI called MDC1200. It can be used to tell the dispatcher who is transmitting (among other uses):
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/MDC1200

And about voice inversion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_inversion

I've heard two things about police communications in the KSA from the Saudi guys I know. I don't know if there info is accurate or just rumors but I'll pass it along nonetheless.

1) They've all said after seeing my scanners "those are illegal in my country".
2) My friend from Riyadh told me that in KSA, the police encrypt their radio signals so even with a scanner, you wouldn't be able to listen.

Again, I don't know any other details besides what they've said when they ask about my hobby.

mancow

Database Admin
It kind of makes you wonder why. I mean if you can beat a confession out of anyone you like anytime you want then who needs secure traffic?

Sudyal

Here is an article about a type of ANI called MDC1200. It can be used to tell the dispatcher who is transmitting (among other uses):
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/MDC1200

And about voice inversion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_inversion

I've heard two things about police communications in the KSA from the Saudi guys I know. I don't know if there info is accurate or just rumors but I'll pass it along nonetheless.

1) They've all said after seeing my scanners "those are illegal in my country".
2) My friend from Riyadh told me that in KSA, the police encrypt their radio signals so even with a scanner, you wouldn't be able to listen.

Again, I don't know any other details besides what they've said when they ask about my hobby.

well it was illegal now it's not
cause i ordered my scanner from scanner masters and every thing it's ok that's all

Cowthief

Saudi Arabia.

Hello.

The highway patrol are on low band, 70 to 74 MHz, FM, no encryption.
The UHF system you hear is the phase III network.
Phase I is all analog, UHF, DTMF signalling.
Phase II is Motorola trunking.
Phase III is to be a mix of TETRA and P-25, an experiment if you will, encryption is not normally on, perhaps this has changed?
In the 153 to 165 MHz range is all manner of communications, a lot of telephone and the like, marine, everything.
And, yes, voice inversion, DTMF signalling, the whole bit, and way overloaded in the city.
GSM at 900 and 1800 is the norm for cellular.
On 146 to 153 MHz are the security forces and border guards, not to listen! as well as the A side.
Channel numbers for VHF are, 0=156.0, 6=156.3, 16=156.8, to 59=156.95, channel 60 jumps to 156.025, 66=156.325, 241=162.025, jump to 242=155.975, 281=155.0,.
Past 281 it is letter codes, this board will not allow the Arabic figures.
The radio will do trunking in a format called IMTS, except for the marine channels.
The A system is on 148 to 153 and the B system is the other half, 163 to 168 MHz.
I can not explain it in simple terms, it is a duplex system sometimes, and at other times not.
The split for the letter code system is always 15 MHz.
For the number code it is always 4.3 MHz.
Now, here is where it gets complicated.
If a public station is involved it will always transmit on the high side, so channel 241 you would listen for 166.325, except that is not the case, that frequency is for the letter code side, so you have to switch to the letter code system.
Radios are programmed for this.
And, to further confuse, some channels are marine only, others government only.
But, the way it is configured, an analog radio will always work.
Find an idle duplex channel, this will have a high pitch tone, transmit and say something, and wait for the operator.
Progarmming a scanner? I would not know where to begin.
Remember, there is this "idle tone" to deal with, a squeal.
And, although it may be legal to listen to police, royal guards are never happy about radios.

Sudyal

Hello.

The highway patrol are on low band, 70 to 74 MHz, FM, no encryption.
The UHF system you hear is the phase III network.
Phase I is all analog, UHF, DTMF signalling.
Phase II is Motorola trunking.
Phase III is to be a mix of TETRA and P-25, an experiment if you will, encryption is not normally on, perhaps this has changed?
In the 153 to 165 MHz range is all manner of communications, a lot of telephone and the like, marine, everything.
And, yes, voice inversion, DTMF signalling, the whole bit, and way overloaded in the city.
GSM at 900 and 1800 is the norm for cellular.
On 146 to 153 MHz are the security forces and border guards, not to listen! as well as the A side.
Channel numbers for VHF are, 0=156.0, 6=156.3, 16=156.8, to 59=156.95, channel 60 jumps to 156.025, 66=156.325, 241=162.025, jump to 242=155.975, 281=155.0,.
The radio will do trunking in a format called IMTS, except for the marine channels.
The A system is on 148 to 153 and the B system is the other half, 163 to 168 MHz.
I can not explain it in simple terms, it is a duplex system sometimes, and at other times not.
The split for the letter code system is always 15 MHz.
For the number code it is always 4.3 MHz.
Now, here is where it gets complicated.
If a public station is involved it will always transmit on the high side, so channel 241 you would listen for 166.325, except that is not the case, that frequency is for the letter code side, so you have to switch to the letter code system.
Radios are programmed for this.
And, to further confuse, some channels are marine only, others government only.
But, the way it is configured, an analog radio will always work.
Find an idle duplex channel, this will have a high pitch tone, transmit and say something, and wait for the operator.
Progarmming a scanner? I would not know where to begin.
Remember, there is this "idle tone" to deal with, a squeal.
And, although it may be legal to listen to police, royal guards are never happy about radios.

can you explain more about this :

thanks

ecps92

156.8000 = Ch.16 VHF Marine , the International Distress Frequency.
Looks like Marine Frequencies.
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/apps18.htm

can you explain more about this :

thanks

i am working in the ministry of defence here in riyadh, to be specific, i am working in EDACS Radio System. in anyway, you cannot here the voice. for sure it is very easy to get the frequency, all you have to do is scan the whole frequency band that somebody gave you. but they (the military) are using a voice encrytion/decrytion device. it is an equipment that load the code to every radios we program. even me as an engineer working here as a programmer for 6 years dont know the hexadecimal combination code they are using.
so forget the idea of listening them, anyway they are always talking nothing...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.