TACN Rhea Co Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4LTC

I'm just listening to the Rhea County public safety and have a question. It may be a stupid one but here goes..

If I'm listening exclusively to Rhea County, do I just need the Evensville Mountain site in the scan list or would I need all of them? For instance, if a sheriffs car were to travel out of the county and out of range of the Evensville Mountain tower, would I still be able to hear their transmissions or would I need the tower of the county they are traveling in added also?

I'm sorry if this comes across as a dumb question but I've wondered this for a while.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As long as there is an radio affiliated with the Evensville Mtn site that is using the TGs you are monitoring, you will hear all unencrypted traffic on those TGs. As long as the Sheriff Unit is able to affiliate to a site and use it, you will hear that units traffic. I am not sure on the TACN use radius, but have to assume that most County Agencies can use every site surrounding their center of operations. We here on SAFE-T have a 2 County radius. In other words, we can use any site in a circle two counties wide around our center of operations.

colbyd1333

Go to TACN in the database at https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6355
Click counties in the header of the sites listing, which should sort them by county. Program all sites for Rhea and surrounding counties, especially Meigs. This worked well for me.

Hey Richard, are you able to pick up Meigs co sheriff from Bradley county? I am not picking up Meigs at all, also in Bradley co. Thanks

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Here's how I monitor Meigs from Bradley County: Allow your scanner to monitor ONLY the Chattanooga Simulcast site. Be sure Meigs talk groups are programmed and not locked out. I emphasize the ONLY because it is tempting to use the Bradley County sites (North Bradley, Oswald Dome, Cleveland, and Chattanooga Simulcast) in an effort to monitor Meigs and Bradley at the same time. Meigs transmissions are infrequent, and you will probably miss them if your scanner is busy checking other sites.

colbyd1333

Here's how I monitor Meigs from Bradley County: Allow your scanner to monitor ONLY the Chattanooga Simulcast site. Be sure Meigs talk groups are programmed and not locked out. I emphasize the ONLY because it is tempting to use the Bradley County sites (North Bradley, Oswald Dome, Cleveland, and Chattanooga Simulcast) in an effort to monitor Meigs and Bradley at the same time. Meigs transmissions are infrequent, and you will probably miss them if your scanner is busy checking other sites.

Ok. I am trying to set up a favorite list for Meigs Co only. I am having a hard time of finding the Chattanooga Simulcast site to put in that favorite. I have always had scanners, but this thing is really confusing me!

Status
Not open for further replies.