• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The Fantom Dynamics page shows that the Linc gives you the following selections:

-FRS/GMRS Mode

-Amateur Radio Mode

-Business USer Mode

If this were to come to fruition, it would be pretty slick.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have been keeping an eye open for the various devices that will allow you to use smartphones to communicate off network. Today I ran across information on the Fogo. I certainly is unique, being built into a flashlight.

https://fogo.io/

https://www.facebook.com/fogooutdoors

Any idea what band does that use? I can't find that detail on their website. I'd guess FRS (UHF) but it doesn't actually say that.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Sonnet And Gotoky: Beartooth Reviews

There are two others that I have been following, too. The Sonnet and the Gotoky. They are similar, but the Sonnet mentions the following:

In comparison to other off-grid communication brands, Sonnet has the following unparalleled advantages:
1. Sonnet is 40% cheaper than the second cheapest brand;
2. Internet-sharing: If one Sonnet within the network has Internet, it can share that with the entire network;
3. Sonnet powers all forms of data transmission: Not only text, but also voice, image, and ALL files;
4. Sonnet powers 16 mesh hops, far more than all the other brands;
5. Multiple devices can connect to each Sonnet;
6. Sonnet works with your computer and ALL Wi-Fi enabled device;
7. Sonnet can function as a stand-alone relay tower;
8. Sonnet is rated IP66, dust-tight and water-resistant;
9. Sonnet is extensible with the USB port. It supports many USB devices such as webcam, USB drive, GPS dongle, 3G/4G dongle, audio dongle, etc. ;
10. Sonnet has a SMA connector, so you can connect your own directional antenna to increase the point-to-point range even further.
We are proud to say Sonnet is the first to bring these amazing features to the world!

As a radio enthusiast, having an SMA connector is pretty sweet. I suppose it is simply too soon to predict which of these will actually make it to market. And, if any do make it to market, how well they will actually work.

There are some Beartooths in the wild now. A couple of reviews have been posted and they are not great.

Hands-on review of the new Beartooth smartphone radios – Updated and Compared to GMRS walkie-talkies – JenEric Ramblings

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/beartooth-wireless-communicator-review.1168/

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, they must be using an internal antenna on the Beartooth. It is no wonder they are getting poor range. I suspect the range is about what I get with my old Nextels on Direct Talk. Perhaps Beartooth should consider a better antenna. Even an external SMA antenna jack and a 900 MHz rubber duck antenna are bound to improve performance a bit with these. If nothing else, just a retractable antenna, like some of the Nextels used, might be an option. That way the end user could keep them collapsed, if they wanted, and extend them when desired.

https://www.sonnetlabs.com/

Last edited:

WPXS472

Just how FOGO is able to have a 2 watt digital transmitter and be license free is a mystery to me. Their website avoids that question. At $299 a piece, I don't see me getting two. I did spring for a couple of the Beartooth units and haven't tried to use them just yet. When I connected one to my Android phone by Bluetooth, the connection would't hold for more than about 20 seconds and would keep reconnecting. Beartooth claims 1 watt transmit power but the FCC type acceptance test says just under 400 mW. I am skeptical of this kind of thing. I am waiting on Baofeng to market one for $29.99.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Any idea what band does that use? I can't find that detail on their website. I'd guess FRS (UHF) but it doesn't actually say that.

On this page is the FAQs https://fogo.io/pages/faq It does state the following:

"IS THE FOGO WALKIE-TALKIE COMPATIBLE WITH ANALOG FRS/GMRS RADIOS?

No. The Fogo uses a digital radio which is not compatible with FRS/GMRS radios. We extensively researched the radio options, when designing the Fogo, and decided on digital because it provides a much richer user experience. The digital radio works over farther distances, is clearer, and allows you to send text messages, voice messages and share your location. All of these features on not possible with analog FRS radios."

So, since it is digital, I suspect that it might be in the 900 MHz ISM Band (902-928 MHz , like the Motorola DLR/DTR radios.

WPXS472

Not if it is actually a 2 watt radio. Power limits for the 900 MHz ISM band, for license free, is 1 watt. And that is for spread spectrum operation at that. For conventional operation it is, if memory serves, 50,000 uV/M at 3 meters. Not a lot.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There are two others that I have been following, too. The Sonnet and the Gotoky. They are similar, but the Sonnet mentions the following:

In comparison to other off-grid communication brands, Sonnet has the following unparalleled advantages:
1. Sonnet is 40% cheaper than the second cheapest brand;
2. Internet-sharing: If one Sonnet within the network has Internet, it can share that with the entire network;
3. Sonnet powers all forms of data transmission: Not only text, but also voice, image, and ALL files;
4. Sonnet powers 16 mesh hops, far more than all the other brands;
5. Multiple devices can connect to each Sonnet;
6. Sonnet works with your computer and ALL Wi-Fi enabled device;
7. Sonnet can function as a stand-alone relay tower;
8. Sonnet is rated IP66, dust-tight and water-resistant;
9. Sonnet is extensible with the USB port. It supports many USB devices such as webcam, USB drive, GPS dongle, 3G/4G dongle, audio dongle, etc. ;
10. Sonnet has a SMA connector, so you can connect your own directional antenna to increase the point-to-point range even further.
We are proud to say Sonnet is the first to bring these amazing features to the world!

As a radio enthusiast, having an SMA connector is pretty sweet. I suppose it is simply too soon to predict which of these will actually make it to market. And, if any do make it to market, how well they will actually work.

There are some Beartooths in the wild now. A couple of reviews have been posted and they are not great.

Hands-on review of the new Beartooth smartphone radios – Updated and Compared to GMRS walkie-talkies – JenEric Ramblings

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/beartooth-wireless-communicator-review.1168/

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, they must be using an internal antenna on the Beartooth. It is no wonder they are getting poor range. I suspect the range is about what I get with my old Nextels on Direct Talk. Perhaps Beartooth should consider a better antenna. Even an external SMA antenna jack and a 900 MHz rubber duck antenna are bound to improve performance a bit with these. If nothing else, just a retractable antenna, like some of the Nextels used, might be an option. That way the end user could keep them collapsed, if they wanted, and extend them when desired.

https://www.sonnetlabs.com/

The irony, the pricing on Motorola DTR650's is close to the same as a Beartooth…but we know the DTRs work and put out a full 1W (and are even capable of text messaging).

Who knows, maybe Motorola will potentially see a reason to expand upon the DTR line with a Bluetooth based option and/or an IP based AP in the future.

I will note, 900 MHz is not the best frequency for the outdoorsy. It's well documented to suffer tremendously in pine-forests to the point some departments have entirely switched systems (Bastrop County).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JASII

Memory Capacity
Now that winter is almost over, I am getting interested again in something for off-network comms. Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't much new in this area since I posted last year.

JASII

Memory Capacity
did this ever come to market?

It looks like the LINC is still in the concept stage. I would love to see it come to market, but I don't think that there is any guarantee that it will.

The Beartooth radio has been out long enough that there are some on Ebay. Although, some brand new things show up on Ebay right away, so I guess that really doesn't mean much. The reviews that I have seen on it haven't been great. Hopefully, improvements will be made.

The Sonnet Labs devices appear to be getting close to being available. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonnet/sonnet-decentralized-mobile-communication/posts/2225778

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Its vaporware. They started with the Alianza DXB back in like 2012/2013 and have been pitching this ever since. They're some random outfit in NJ that re-sells those ePTT devices as their own - and I think that part of their business is even gone.

I have tried to talk to them several times, through several parts of their several product developments and never got anything more than the typical marketing hype BS out of them. Too bad - if they could have showed a little more technical knowledge they might have received some more funding for their development.

Status
Not open for further replies.