• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Taking over NXDN trunking system from dealer who is out of business-System Key question

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Our shop is taking over a NXDN system from a dealer who closed up (and is not returning any calls, emails, or lawyer letters from the customer). We are primarily a Moto shop, so the NXDN experience is mostly conventional and hammy stuff. In order to work on this system (read/write the subscribers), it seems we need the system key. Our issue is that the customer does not have his system key, only the old shop who did the system setup and programming. So, can someone point me in the direction of some options? It seems the only solution we have found is to wipe and start over OR swap their entire system to a Motorola. Both of these seem very excessive. Kenwood tech support has told us "no key, no worky, no exceptions" more than once. Is this correct? TT

EWC_BDN

You need a .SKF file. which you make with the System key, .act file and the license key of your software. it will only work for that one license key. You'll need KPG-110SM too which is the management software to make the .skf. It will only open if you have the key inserted in your PC.

No key, no workey is true. You'll need to order a new one. You also need a .ACT file. that contains the model and serial of all the repeaters on the system. The Key and file are from Kenwood.

Kenwood will sell replacement keys, but maybe not to just anything. They have loosened up. you used to have to wait on Japan to do this work for you... the NA offices can probably help dealers now. IIRC they get the customer info when they sell the key, so they probably know what the ID of the system is. I would think Kenwood would be happy to help keep a customer, but they might want you to be a dealer though.

Does Motorola still give out free or very discounted systems to replace Kenwood?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Moto still gives out very discounted systems to nuke their competitors. I have done it dozens of times over the last 20+ years. Email out to Evans. TT

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
So..... customer located 2 USB dongles. Each dongle has a Control No.001-002xx and a System Code 000xxx (with the xxx representing real values). One is labelled Tier 1 and th eother is Tier 2. They show up in the computer as SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro security devices. Working with Kenwood and the local MR to get the next step of making programming keys.

EWC_BDN,
If I understand this process correctly:
-I will need the USB System key (from Kenwood), .ACT file (from Kenwood), and the "license key of my software" (not clear on this, but is the specific key of the specific instance of programming software?))
-Use KPG-110SM to use the above to make the .SKF that is specific to only one instance of programming software
-Import the .SKF file into the specific instance of programming software that it was made for
-Program radios as needed

Am I close?

TT

Last edited: