• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

talkgroup capacity and scan options

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm listening to a discussion on OpenSky vs. P25 Phase 1 or 2.

One item tossed out there was that OpenSky provided a more robust talkgroup scanning capability.

On the OpenSky radio I have now at work, you are limited to scanning the current 16 channel profile in the radio and only able to "reliably" scan 3 of those talkgroups (the one your knob is one and whatever you have set as P1 and P2).

I know on the Motorola system (mixed mode analog/digital SmartZone) and EFJ Multinet system that I use for fire service and hazmat organizations I am involved with, you can scan multiple talkgroups throughout the radio banks.

How does this work on pure P25 phase 1 or 2 systems? Are talkgroups stored in banks that are all accessible or are they stored in unique 16 channel profiles (like OpenSky). What are the scanning limitations?

I'm just trying to figure out what information is correct. I was always under the impression that the limit of scanning 3 talkgroups reliably in OpenSky was a limitation that did not exist on other platforms. The way it was exlained in this discussion is that P25 was actually worse because the radio could onl direct the network to drive one talkgroup to it reliably (the on you have selected).

kf8yk

With P25 multisite trunking only the subscribers current transmit talkgroup is affiliated to the site. Different models of P25 subscriber radios have larger or smaller scan lists, but no matter how many talkgroups are in your scan list or how they are tagged priority/non priority only the TG audio you are set to transmit on will be reliably delivered to your site. Any scan activity you hear is purely by chance that another subscriber is affiliated to the same site as you and parked on one of your scan list TG's

OpenSky systems have a unique ability to not only affiliate the subscribers current transmit talkgroup but also two more priority scan list members (P1 & P2), allowing a total of three TG's to be reliably scanned. Additional scan list members can be added with the same caveat as P25 systems, another OS subscriber must be on your site parked on one of your non-priority scan TG's

P25 systems can be programmed to deliver certain TG's to a group of sites regardless if anyone is affiliated, but widespread use of this feature will destroy your loading capacity.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
That's pretty much the same explanation that came up in the meeting later on in the morning after I posted this question. I did not realize that limitation existed on a P25 system.

The primary law enforcement agency using our OpenSky system has previously voiced issues with only being able to reliably scan 3 talkgroups. Looks like the P25 option would not improve upon that limitation.

I guess I was spoiled by the EFJ Multinet system I use at the local level since you can essentially scan every talkgroup in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.