Talkgroups vs Radio IDs & Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

echz

For the last week or so, I've had Win500 set up and recording local Group Wildcards and it's been working pretty well so far, found a lot of unlisted groups on my Pro-106.

I've recently changed the settings for the radio to also log Radio IDs, which seems to be working also.

Thus stems my question, is there really any added benefit, or any difference to scanning RadioIDs vs TGRPs? I'm guessing the only difference is that I'm going to hear one-way communicaiton using the RadioID, correct?

I see no "added" benefit to having the RadioID except for possibly identifying who is using that vehicle/portable at that time ... ie you can assign the RadioID a value of "Ambulance 2" or "Ladder Engine" ... am I understanding this concept correctly?

guitarbrian30

For the last week or so, I've had Win500 set up and recording local Group Wildcards and it's been working pretty well so far, found a lot of unlisted groups on my Pro-106.

I've recently changed the settings for the radio to also log Radio IDs, which seems to be working also.

Thus stems my question, is there really any added benefit, or any difference to scanning RadioIDs vs TGRPs? I'm guessing the only difference is that I'm going to hear one-way communicaiton using the RadioID, correct?

I see no "added" benefit to having the RadioID except for possibly identifying who is using that vehicle/portable at that time ... ie you can assign the RadioID a value of "Ambulance 2" or "Ladder Engine" ... am I understanding this concept correctly?

Yes I love to see when the push the mic and tada I know it is "Baltic FC #2" or "Baltic Engine 2". Makes for easier listening. Unless you want to remember all those Radio ID's. Some of the radio IDS I do not want I just clean my file out of them. And make room for the new talk groups :)

As far as scaning just the radio id's I just have that in my scan list never thought about missing or hearing just one side of the conversation. Good thought !

Astrak

You can also use the radio ID's to set up private calls in the scanner. I also use it to alert when the man down button is pressed on a radio. Here in Phoenix most of the P25 systems a radio ID of 0 will show up when the button is pressed.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You can't set up to scan on radio ID's only. You can alert on specific ones, but there's no way to only hear transmissions from a certain radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.