Tanker Leak in Summit County TG 48000

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbogs

Just hearing this now...a tanker is leaking. Units are calling for Hazmat...stopping traffic in Lamb's Canyon. Evacuating everyone (including Officers) at least 300 feet. I believe a car chase was going on in Summit County when suspect vehicle hit into a tanker. The driver of the vehicle is echo (dead). They are calling for an outside agency to help investigate the chase and the wreck.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
I-80 Closed Following Pursuit

KSL Web Site News Source

(KSL News) A driver who led Summit County Sheriff's deputies on a high-speed chase through Parley's Canyon this afternoon died after crashing into at least two vehicles.

I-80 through Parley's Canyon is closed while crews clean up from one of the crashes.

Authorities says the driver of a silver sedan refused to pull over and was weaving through traffic.

His car crashed into a vehicle on I-80 westbound in Parley's Canyon at about mile marker 137. He then reportedly drove through the median and crashed into a tanker in the eastbound lanes.

Troopers say the driver of the sedan died in the crash. There is no word yet on any other injuries.

Hazmat crews are on the scene cleaning up from the wreck involving the tanker, which is leaking some sort of fuel.

Westbound traffic is being diverted to I-84, and eastbound traffic is being rerouted to State Road 40.
Just heard them dispatch SLSO to investigate this accident. Rather surprises me since that is UHP domain, unless they were also involved in the original incident. Haven't heard on that yet, but since the pursuit apparently originated in Summit County and was on the freeway it is reasonable to assume the UHP was involved.

Observer1

Every on duty UHP Trooper in SL County (Plus the four Tango Units who were called in on a day off) are all either on scene or enroute to the scene

Probably why they called the SO.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Possible Suicide

KUTV Video Report

Additional info from KSL
The chase started in Park City just before 3:00 this afternoon. The driver apparently began evading a Summit County deputy, and that led to the chase. Troopers believe the man was a contractor who had been paid for some work that had not been completed.

Traffic camera video shows that the chase went on for more than 30 minutes as the man drove down the canyon, reaching speeds of more than 100 miles per hour, only to turn around and drive back toward Park City.

He avoided road spikes. As he headed east again, troopers believe the suspect deliberately crashed into a tanker truck. He was killed in the collision.

Sgt. Harley Watkins of the Utah Highway Patrol said, "He was fairly reckless. We backed off the pursuit to try to allow him to calm down a little bit on several occasions. He chose not to do that. As he did cross the median, we do believe at this time it was intentional. He picked the one tanker truck coming up the road at this time and went head-on into that."

Status
Not open for further replies.