• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TC-780 Programming in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

styersdc

Has anyone figured out a way to program an HYT TC-780 in Windows 8? My original laptop died and my programming cable is built on a Prolific USB to Serial chipset PL2303HXA which is not supported in Windows 8 nor will it ever be in the future according to Prolific as Rev A is a discontinued chipset.

It would be a great help if someone as a way around this problem, short of me purchasing a serial cable and a separate USB to serial converter.

cabletech

I think you will find that their is nothin wrong with your cable. It is the software vs OS of the computer.

HYT is not the only radio software with this problem.

All of the manufactors are way behind the ball on updating software to run on Win8 and some times on Win7.

The smartest thing to do, is get another computer and load up Win XP Pro/SP3 and use that as the main radio service computer.

This will cause you a whole lot less headaces. I even run ALL my DOS programs thru DOSBOX on them.

I have a couple of spare Pent computers with Win XP available if needed, all have usb, 9 pin serial, 1 g ram, and ready to go.

styersdc

I appreciate your reply, but it actually is the cable that seems to be the problem here at the moment. The software itself seems to run with no problems on Windows 8. Of course I won't really know for sure until I try to get it to communicate with the handheld.
The problem with the cable is that it uses the Prolific USB to Serial chip-set PL2303HXA which is not and will not be supported in Windows 8 according to Prolific. They do suggest that cable manufacturers using this specific chip-set "Rev A" upgrade to "Rev D" which IS supported by Windows 8 with chip-set PL2303HXD.
Hytera's current solution is to use their serial version of the programming cable with another third party USB to Serial adapter cable that uses a different Windows 8 supported chip-set.
I'm planning on trying this solution. Hytera wants to know what my experience using this solution with the software in the Windows 8 environment is like. I guess they haven't tried it yet. I will try to let everyone know how it works and post my specific setup if successful.

mp3sgt

Premium Subscriber
I was not planning on upgrading to Windows 8 but this is one more reason for my 2 programming laptops to keep to Windows 7. I have found that as you stated, Windows 7 works most of the time. Good luck with your experience with 8. I would be curious to see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.