Tcas...dive Dive!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Provider
(www.avweb.com) The FAA says it will likely investigate the complaints of a couple of pilots who say they were intercepted and shadowed, at close range, by an F-16 over Arizona earlier this month. Pilatus PC-12 pilot Patrick McCall and Beech Premier pilot Scott Laromee have both filed near-collision reports with the agency after they say they were aggressively pursued by an F-16 on March 21 in the Gladden Military Operations Area, a training area used by pilots from Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix. The area is open for use by civilian aircraft. In a podcast interview with AVweb, McCall said that when his TCAS activated about 10 a.m. that day while he was cruising at 16,500 (VFR with flight following) he ended up having to dive his aircraft as the target kept closing on him. The target followed him in the dive and when McCall leveled at about 14,000 feet, he was amazed by the view from his side window. “I then looked to my left side of the aircraft and saw an F16 aircraft off of my left wing,” he said in a written report sent to the FAA. “The F16 was no more than 20 feet off of my left wing.” AVweb contacted the media relations department of Luke Air Force Base on Friday and provided copies of both McCall’s and Laromee’s complaints but military officials did not respond to our request for comment by our deadline on Sunday

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Thats all we need is a joker in a hot rod fighter pulling stuff like this. Hopefully discipline will prevail and the proper sanctions will be placed on the pilot of the fighter. Wonder if the pilot even knows what the meaning of "Court Martial" is.

Just an opinion

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I know it's allowed but maybe the civies need to remain outside the MOA. I think if the MOA's are hot, and they are listed on an FAA website, then the civies need to plan another route. Kind of like going to swim in shark infested waters with chum floating all around you.

zguy1243

If he had flight following from ATC and they allowed him to enter a active MOA within the active block altitudes the controller is at fault. ATC should never allow aircraft to enter into a active block of MOA airspace. If in fact the pilot disregarded ATC and entered the MOA the viper driver was getting his N number and reporting his ass for wondering around in a active MOA. There is more to the story i'm sure...

illini52

Thousands of dollars in fuel alone are wasted by military aircraft waiting for civilian aircraft to exit the active MOA. Not to mention wasted training. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Would you walk across the baseball field during the game to get to the other side?

Wonder if the pilot even knows what the meaning of "Court Martial" is.
Yes, because court martialing someone for doing their job makes sense....

Just an opinion.

Last edited:

jerk

davidp124 said:
Thats all we need is a joker in a hot rod fighter pulling stuff like this. Hopefully discipline will prevail and the proper sanctions will be placed on the pilot of the fighter. Wonder if the pilot even knows what the meaning of "Court Martial" is.

Just an opinion
I think it was a "stupid" pilot in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not monitoring the "right" frequencies.

I'm sure the real story will be out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.