TDOT NOT Narrow Band Compliant???

Status
Not open for further replies.

2guntom

156.24 is in my list as "TDOT Headquarters". You only have to listen for a few seconds to know they are NOT in compliance with the new narrow band requirements.

Narrowbanding

Anybody heard any news or know WHY they have not complied?

n4yek

They are only required to be no greater than 12.5 kHz wide in bandwidth. Just because they are still using a frequency that was assigned during the 25 kHz days doesn't mean they are still using that much bandwidth.
I don't know if you can tell just by listening to them on a scanner if they are compliant or not. :)

2guntom

They are only required to be no greater than 12.5 kHz wide in bandwidth. Just because they are still using a frequency that was assigned during the 25 kHz days doesn't mean they are still using that much bandwidth.
I don't know if you can tell just by listening to them on a scanner if they are compliant or not. :)

Right. The actual frequency is the same.

Yes; yes you can tell the difference by listening on the scanner. Well, at least you can if you're using older scanners :) .

When agencies first started converting over to "narrow band" you could tell right away because all their transmissions sounded like they were at half their usual volume. It was aggravating for me as a feed provider because I tried to find that perfect middle ground so you could hear the quiet and the loud didn't blow you away (and the loud ones would sound distorted).

Then when most of the agencies I monitored had converted, they were uniformly too quiet. I knew this because someone from RadioReference contacted and told me to turn up the volume (it was an admin of sorts).

So, everything is fine until TDOT starts broadcasting. It not all of their frequencies, just one or two. And it is bad, noticeably bad. It's not loud, it's just operating at the old, non-narrow band volumes. But, compared to the new low volume broadcasts, it's annoying. And their lack of radio etiquette makes it worse...

jfhtm350

I can tell on my scanner (at least on analog) and they are NFM at least the few Ive checked. If you set a frequency to NFM on the pro106 and it is still wideband it will sound weird like its only getting part of the transmission or sounds similar to programming an FM channel to AM mode and listen. Now if you program WFM to a NFM channel you will only loose some volume on the voice so you cant tell that way. There is no way on mine to distinguish if they are using any less than 12.5khz bandwidth.

jfhtm350

Just looked at my frequency list and realized 156.2400 is Hawkins Co Hwy Dept with a PL of 100.0 and not TDOT. I still show it as being NFM. I havent recieved any Green Co Hwy Dept freqs from down here.

Here are some TDOT freqs that Ive picked up from here that you may be able to recieve. There may some more up north.
07/07/13 159.18000 115 DC TDOT Walnut
01/31/13 159.19500 114 DC TDOT Springdale (not used very much)
07/01/13 159.27000 115 DC TDOT Holston
11/14/13 159.81000 114 DC TDOT English
11/13/13 159.97500 115 DC TDOT Mooresburg

jfhtm350

I see that there is a TDOT Headquarters in the database on 156.2400 with DPL of 311. I didnt know it existed. I locked out 156.2400 in my searches so I wouldnt have picked it up if it does exist. Hawkins Co Hwy Dept 100.0 PL is pretty busy during normal working hours and thats why I locked it out. More than likely your hearing Hawkins Co Hwy Dept. The only way to know is if your scanner decodes the repeater codes so you could see which one your picking up.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, ALL TN State Agencies using VHF Hi, and UHF have narrowbanded per the Mandate. We admins may not have got to changing all the listings yet, and the FCC DB is still very backlogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.