tech remote control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

If I understand correctly, the Kenwood TM-V71A (well suited for an operator with a tech license) offers some remote control capability, at least while in cross band repeat mode. I have several but rarely use that feature.

I think the fully remote radio capability is more common with HF radios. Doing so would allow you to operate a station remotely that resides where a suitable HF antenna could be erected. An operator living in a small apartment or condo or an area with HOA antenna restrictions might desire such a setup.

Is that your concern?

Delivers1234

Hi. My apartment is not suitable for an antanne even in the patio2nd floor.

I have access to a hall and was thinking if I get permission to remote control.

bharvey2

I've seen people get pretty creative with a 2M/7cm antenna. They're small enough that they can be readily disguised. I live in an HOA controlled area and suffer much of the usual restrictions associated with them. Granted, I may not be able to compete with an antenna on a tower but I can hit a good number of repeaters in my area. (SF Bay Area) I'm usually good for 40-50 miles of simplex as well.

I'm not trying to discourage your idea of using remote control. I considered it once too. But I found that given the cost, I wouldn't necessarily gain a whole lot. On HF well, that would be a different matter.

Would you be willing to submit a few pics of the area you're working with? You might glean some useful suggestions.

Delivers1234

I've seen people get pretty creative with a 2M/7cm antenna. They're small enough that they can be readily disguised. I live in an HOA controlled area and suffer much of the usual restrictions associated with them. Granted, I may not be able to compete with an antenna on a tower but I can hit a good number of repeaters in my area. (SF Bay Area) I'm usually good for 40-50 miles of simplex as well.

I'm not trying to discourage your idea of using remote control. I considered it once too. But I found that given the cost, I wouldn't necessarily gain a whole lot. On HF well, that would be a different matter.

Would you be willing to submit a few pics of the area you're working with? You might glean some useful suggestions.

03547ec8a7fded0e53afc6cbbf307ec8.jpg
1c3c1aba88a7ee24c0e04f265e72744f.jpg
3b06783e4aa9d3cb69d5622eb06a938a.jpg
1e1c75c933865ef5304e2d8bae3a9165.jpg

bharvey2

It looks like you've got a CB antenna on a barrel. Are you using it and does it perform adequately? You could continue along those same lines with a 2M/70cm antenna. Copper J-Poles seem to be popular and mounting those in a flower pot has been done on a number of occasions. Also, what about placing an antenna in your attic? While none are perfect solutions they'd be worth trying. I suspect you could try other things off of the deck but you appear to be very close to the utility lines. It almost looks like you could reach out and touch them.

Delivers1234

Hi not sure if CB radio antanne works. I don't think I should place the antanne on the wall near the pole. I'm not able to ground. The power pole is at the corner of the patio. There is a dish which I could remove or use. I can see some repeaters along the hills in the distance.

jgallaher

CB antennas are tuned for 11 meters, not 2m or 70cm. While it "might work", you run the risk of the swr being too high. Also, I'm not sure how much power those are rated for since CB runs 4 - 5 watts max.

bharvey2

I think some might have misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that the CB antenna be used for 2M/70cm. As was stated, it is tuned for 11M and both the physical and electrical length are wrong. I was suggesting that a small antenna, such as a dual band 2M/70cm mag mount antenna could be used in place of the the CB antenna or another barrel/large ground plane be set up for the dual band. The dish antenna won't do you any good for the 2M/70cm bands but that spot could be used. As I noted before, do be careful about getting any antennas too close to the utility lines.

jgallaher

Ah ok I stand corrected. You could use an Arrow J-pole Antenna which would work well for a dual band antenna.

jgallaher

To answer your first question, you could remote control a unit using the remotehams.com software for Windows. However, there's really not too many tech band radios on the list.

In regard to your last reply, I'm not sure what the charger is for. Can you clarify please?

Delivers1234

I was using this to power my cobra sb radio and now the bearcat ssb. the amps are too small. I need to get a power supply. radio shack has a 19 amp for 60.00. I've seen some online for about 70 as well.

bharvey2

That charger may be enough for a scanner but it is way under powered for any transmitter. Antron makes decent power supplies. You might look around to see if there is an HRO in your area. They'll have a better selection than Radio Shack would have these days. You're on the right track with a 20A supply.

jgallaher

I doubt that it was enough power for your CB radio. Like bharvey2 says, it might be enough for a scanner, but 500 miliamps is only .50 amps. My transmitter draws out about 1 amp just being on and 4 amps when transmitting on low power (5 watts).

For the correct power supply, you'll need to look at the instructions for the radio that you want to get (You can view those online) and make sure that the power supply you're purchasing supplies enough amps and puts out the correct voltage.

Astron makes linear power supplies that are really good and are US made.

bharvey2

jgallaher;2661437 Astron makes linear power supplies that are really good and are US made.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the correction. I noticed I typed "Antron" instead of Astron. The fingers misbehave sometimes.

wrath

I don't know what your budget is ,but I myself have the Kenwood 710ga mobile and the Kenwood 74a they work really well sepearatelybuttogether you can control the 710ga from the 74a keypad , you can look at the manuals online or download the pdfs from there site in the back you can see what button on the 74a controls what on the mobile.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.