• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Telescopic antenna or other antenna for a Handheld Midland Portable CB Radio 75-822 to replace stock antenna

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
Seeking recommendations for a Telescopic antenna or other antenna for a Midland Portable CB Radio 75-822. Looking for better performance than the stock antenna. Any suggestions on the best performing model antenna?

Amazon has several listed.

I thought about purchasing several different ones to try but thought someone may have tried some of these already. IIRC years ago - the Telescopic antenna with the center loads were normally on the 3 channel GE model Walkie Talkies and they had performed well.

Appreciate any guidance.

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
It would probably be better for you to buy a few and try for yourself as other people live in different environments and antennas may perform differently.
I came to the same conclusion before posting - but I thought someone else may have already gone down this road.

I watched some reviews of the HYS brand - both of these below and I thought it will not break the bank if I get and keep both.

1708789913046.jpeg

1708789936772.jpeg

Noticed this one but not sure how practical this one is for me - since I didn't need to worry about being in all kinds of different terrain where the antenna could get damaged.

1708789888125.jpeg

Last edited:

prcguy

I have the Abree tactical blade antenna. They are junk and will break well before the stock antenna does. I bought a long telescopic base loaded BNC whip off eBay from a seller in Thailand and it was very reasonably priced like around $17 and works great. The base loading coil is also a spring and takes some strain off the radio connector. I used it once on a CB/10m SSB handheld and talked from So Cal to Ireland with 6 watts.

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
I have the Abree tactical blade antenna. They are junk and will break well before the stock antenna does. I bought a long telescopic base loaded BNC whip off eBay from a seller in Thailand and it was very reasonably priced like around $17 and works great. The base loading coil is also a spring and takes some strain off the radio connector. I used it once on a CB/10m SSB handheld and talked from So Cal to Ireland with 6 watts.
I appreciate your input. Do you have a manufacture name for the antenna on eBay or a link by chance?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I believe it is this seller. I purchased a 6m telescoping antenna from them in 2016. I do not see a 27/28 MHz antenna for sale from them right now. Perhaps reach out to the seller with a message. ( 24hrsradioshop )

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
Do either of you have a picture of the antenna from this eBay seller?

niceguy71

I love the handheld CB's and watch this guy all the time, he does some GREAT video's he has tested many different models of handheld CB's... and I trust his results... he has found the amazon 51" HYS antenna to be the best.... he also tested the 36" Cobra ha-ta extended range antenna ... I bought a few of each and can tell just from listening the 51" hys antenna picks up a much better signal than the Cobra.... the Cobra I thought would be of good quality... but it feels like it will break any second compared to the Chinese HYS 51" amazon model..... I plan to do the same type of video's he's doing. I now have just about every handheld CB ever made in my collection... I just need the time to do these tests. and I have to figure out how to do youtube video's and video editing.... not as easy as it looks.... I've picked out 7 locations from 1 mile.... 1.5 miles.... 2 miles..... 3 miles..... 3.5 miles .... 4 miles... 4.5 .... and lastly 5 miles not sure how many of my radio's will make the 5 mile mark if any?? but I have the Midland 75-822 and I'm looking forward to testing it..... until I get my tests done check out this guys antenna test and as I said he does a lot of different handhelds... pretty impressive to see how far and clear some of them are...

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I purchased the 51" HYS and the HYS 27Mhz Hand Held CB Radio BNC Antenna for Cobra HH50WXST HHRT50 Midland 75-822 75-785 Uniden PRO401HH PRO501HH Portable Handheld CB-Way Radio. Wanted something with more flexible when not in an area where the 51" would be the best choice due to terrain.

Needed a few of these. I have had to return 4 of these are they keep on sending the wrong mount. Ordered the BNC but not always received even on the same package.

5116MzxuGEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
I love the handheld CB's and watch this guy all the time, he does some GREAT video's he has tested many different models of handheld CB's... and I trust his results... he has found the amazon 51" HYS antenna to be the best.... he also tested the 36" Cobra ha-ta extended range antenna ... I bought a few of each and can tell just from listening the 51" hys antenna picks up a much better signal than the Cobra.... the Cobra I thought would be of good quality... but it feels like it will break any second compared to the Chinese HYS 51" amazon model..... I plan to do the same type of video's he's doing. I now have just about every handheld CB ever made in my collection... I just need the time to do these tests. and I have to figure out how to do youtube video's and video editing.... not as easy as it looks.... I've picked out 7 locations from 1 mile.... 1.5 miles.... 2 miles..... 3 miles..... 3.5 miles .... 4 miles... 4.5 .... and lastly 5 miles not sure how many of my radio's will make the 5 mile mark if any?? but I have the Midland 75-822 and I'm looking forward to testing it..... until I get my tests done check out this guys antenna test and as I said he does a lot of different handhelds... pretty impressive to see how far and clear some of them are...

There are some good deals on the Midland 75-822 - saw it for $ 79 and change with free shipping

Here is another video.

I also tried this one and sent it back.

1710445652274.jpeg

Last edited:

niceguy71

Thanks. I purchased the 51" HYS and the HYS 27Mhz Hand Held CB Radio BNC Antenna for Cobra HH50WXST HHRT50 Midland 75-822 75-785 Uniden PRO401HH PRO501HH Portable Handheld CB-Way Radio. Wanted something with more flexible when not in an area where the 51" would be the best choice due to terrain.

Needed a few of these. I have had to return 4 of these are they keep on sending the wrong mount. Ordered the BNC but not always received even on the same package.

5116MzxuGEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Really??? I've bought 20 bnc X 51 inch hys from Amazon and 4 Tnc for my four president randy's again from Amazon ,.. all orders at different times and always got what I ordered ... There are some that are chrome and some black.... The black ones look completely different.. the chrome ones work well and have a 27 mhz sticker on the antenna

niceguy71

niceguy71

This is the one with the wrong connector being sent.

All say RA-27-3 on the antenna.
I buy and (mean to test) a lot of antenna's... I never saw that one... I stopped buying antenna's after the Chrome HYS 51" as it just works so good and doesn't break... Amazon sells the HYS 51" antenna in chrome or black.. but the black ones are a whole different antenna and I have not tested them yet.. it has a HUGE base load.... one of these day's I'll test it out.......I bought a couple Abbree tactical antenna's .. I see them breaking after a few uses.. and they didn't do as well as the Chrome 51" HYS... I love Cobra and thought their products would be great... I bought a couple Cobra HA TA extended long range antenna's... they feel like they will break just touching them and didn't do half the distance as the Chrome 51" HYS... I read the amazon reviews on the one they keep sending the wrong type to you and someone else said they got the wrong one too... I think I'll stay away from it.
enjoy

this is the black 51" HYS antenna that I have no idea what is different? as I said the base load is bigger but both say for 27mhz both are the same price from the same company... just supposed to be a color difference... but you can instantly tell their different.

I would stay away from this Cobra one

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
Amazon did it again. I am done buying the HYS 27Mhz Hand Held CB Radio BNC Antenna for Cobra HH50WXST HHRT50 Midland 75-822 75-785 Uniden PRO401HH PRO501HH Portable Handheld CB-Way Radio. Just received the wrong item again today. Maybe I''ll look around for another antenna list it. I do have the 51" for it which works great.