telus and radios in gaspesie park

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarcat

Hi

I am wondering if anyone knows how the commercial radios work out there in the wild. In particular, I know that skidoo drivers in the Gaspesie provincial park use Telus commercial radios, which I assume are VHF. I was wondering if there is a way to use those channels in an emergency if you are stuck in a park... My idea is to bring a small radio (e.g. Baofeng uv3r) to join them (or the coast guard, in this case) in case of an emergency.

In general, how do those commercial radios operate?

Are there any working ham radio relays there?

Same would apply for the verendrye park, actually. :)

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure Mike is going away everywhere but Alberta or has gone away. They may be using. PTT over 3G/LTE.

TELUS still has iDEN is still on the air, as confirmed by several sources. (including my old one that powers up and finds the network)

iDEN in Calgary (& Calgary Transit) This was posted in the Prairies and Pacific Coast section.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Again, outside of Alberta it may be shut down, or will be shut down soon. Mike is still operational in Alberta because of AHS and City of Calgary

anarcat

no 3G/LTE

there is no 3G signal out there, at all, and we had a cell phone that was a telus subscriber. the whole point of those radios is that they are *not* cell-phone based, otherwise we could have just made phone calls out in case of emergency.

i am not sure what iDEN is, but it also looks like a cell-based network.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What makes tou think they are Telus then? Out side of some parts of BC i was under the impression they had abandoned anything on VHF or UHF.

anarcat

What makes tou think they are Telus then? Out side of some parts of BC i was under the impression they had abandoned anything on VHF or UHF.

The ski-doo guy explicitely told me it was Telus running the towers. He also told me where the actual towers were.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
so how does that work exactly? any way to figure out what frequencies they use and work them at all?

thanks!

It means that the equipment owners may have an agreement with Telus to have their repeater(s), feed line(s) and antenna(s) installed on their site(s).

If you can determine geographic coordinates for the towers, then do a radius search on each of them while confining your frequency search from 138-500MHz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anarcat

It means that the equipment owners may have an agreement with Telus to have their repeater(s), feed line(s) and antenna(s) installed on their site(s).

If you can determine geographic coordinates for the towers, then do a radius search on each of them while confining your frequency search from 138-500MHz.

unfortunately, i am not currently in the park, and i don't even have that kind of hardware anyways. :)

but thanks!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
unfortunately, i am not currently in the park, and i don't even have that kind of hardware anyways. :)

but thanks!

Go here: http://tafl.jonathanmorgan.net/

For 'Receiver Location' enter exactly like this: 48.9097, -66.3590

For 'Low Frequency' enter 138
For 'High Frequency' enter 3000
For 'Max Distance' enter 40
The results will show pins on a google map. Click on the individual pins and it will bring up a list of of licenses for each location. Most of the ones in or close to the park look like government agencies(French is not very good sorry) but do not appear to be likely candidates for 'Telus' towers. There appears to be nothing licensed to Telus other than a bunch of cellular stuff at one site well north of the park.(less than 40Km away but definitely not hear able in the park, and NOT on VHF.

Hopefully, being local, you can make some sense of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anarcat

excellent stuff, i didn't know about that site, it's pretty amazing!

i'll probably be able to find my way from there, thanks!

i can also report back here if i find anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.