ten meter amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Okay, I am sitting here in my basement. Just because I hate to see any antenna go unused, I have an old discone, with the top whip removed.. hanging from the ceiling of my basement. The butchered discone is attached to an old PRO 94. That ridiculous rig lit up on 29.6200. I am listening to two gentleman right now, one in Lake City Florida, the other in Upstate New York communicating. I know this is no fluke because I have my better rigs running the same thing, very cool....

AlphaFive

Still here

It is nearly 12:00 p.m. EDT in Asheville. 29.6200 is still active on my butchered, basement discone. I love it...That's going on an hour for this reception

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
6 meters too!

You're right. Great opening today on east coast. 10 and 6 meters both hot this afternoon

yaesu_dave

There are several repeaters on 29.620, and it doesn't doesn't take much of antenna to hear one when conditions are good. During the peak of the solar cycle in the 1990's, I regularly copied the W1OJ repeater near Boston with a Uniden BC55XLT handheld and the stock antenna. The repeater is about 2,300 miles from my location in Ogden, UT, and the F layer propagation was very good that year!

millrad

Premium Subscriber
During the late '80s solar peak, I used to regularly work the 10-meter repeater on St Thomas, VI, - It had a distinctive "door bell" courtesy tone. There was also the W5DFW repeater in Dallas-Fort Worth, which had a professionally produced voice ID proclaiming "From the Lonestar State - This is the W5DFW Repeater, Dallas - Fort Worth." The good old days.

nd5y

There was also the W5DFW repeater in Dallas-Fort Worth, which had a professionally produced voice ID proclaiming "From the Lonestar State - This is the W5DFW Repeater, Dallas - Fort Worth." The good old days.
It's still on the air. The ID should play when you go to the web site. W5DFW

I heard 3rd hand information years ago that the VI repeater was damaged in a hurricane or tropical storm and the owner moved back to the US.

AlphaFive

W5DFW

Since you mention it, I listened to my recordings last night. W5DFW was very strong here in Asheville N.C. Now the recording prompt for the repeater says "From the Republic of Texas"... Sounded great.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's still on the air. The ID should play when you go to the web site. W5DFW

I heard 3rd hand information years ago that the VI repeater was damaged in a hurricane or tropical storm and the owner moved back to the US.

Actually that VI repeater was destroyed twice by 2 hurricanes, and both times the club that I used to belong to (the Baltimore Radio Amateur TV Society) helped put it back on the air, altho for a time it sounded really horrible. It was a shame it went off the air, as it was a good indicator for southern 10m propagation

Mike

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I can usually hear 29.62 and 29.64, 29.68 but today I only heard 29.66 ID today and key up, from Price UTah

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

N1GMV

I pulled my 20 year old Antron99 out from under the deck and put in on a push-up pole today. Got some great reports, in some cases better than my Mosley TA-33!

AlphaFive

10 meter

Ha, I guess if life were like television, a person could simply put their finger up in the air right now, and a transmission would come out of the fillings in their teeth.... It's a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.