• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TERA TR-505 GMRS/MURS Recreational Handheld Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some of the other Chinese radio grants have weird emissions designators like 5K and 9K that seem way to narrow for FM. I don't know what that's all about.

I always wondered if it was running narrower than necessary to cover them if the radio doesn't get aligned properly at the factory. Having a bit more "wiggle room" might prevent the stability issues of these low end radios from causing them to emit out of channel stuff.

bill4long

Amazing how many of these companies will happily ignore the rules to make a few bucks. Integrity is gone, greed and profit has replaced it.

Lacking integrity for breaking idiotic rules? If the FCC would get off their dead rear ends and allow Part 90 certified radios to be used on GMRS and MURS, as long as the technical requirements and limits are met, then nobody would be breaking rules. People do it anyway, so it really doesn't matter what anything thinks of it. Blame the FCC for this. Their position is lazy, stupid and/or corrupt.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Lucking integrity for breaking idiotic rules? If the FCC would get off their dead rear ends and allow Part 90 certified radios to be used on GMRS and MURS, as long as the technical requirements and limits are met, then nobody would be breaking rules. People do it anyway, so it really doesn't matter what anything thinks of it. Blame the FCC for this. Their position is lazy, stupid and/or corrupt.

Rules are rules, regardless if you think they are idiotic or not.

Yes, though, I totally agree there needs to be some updating of many of these outdated rules.

Perhaps, you should (or anyone) should submit a petition for rulemaking to the FCC? Anyone can do this... if they know how to format a proposal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have no problem breaking idiotic rules. Esp when there is zero enforcement. Cry all you want. No harm no foul.

We fully understand there are people like you in the world, and we know there is nothing we can do to change it, so do whatever you want.

But your argument is full of many flaws. Your justification is exactly what is wrong with the world, the "I don't agree with the laws/rules, therefore it's OK for me to ignore them".

Just what we need.

Sparky5019

Yes. They are factory programmed and work that way. I find it might prove necessary one day. Never know if you can help somebody out then. It's a great talk around radio. Almost hate making it duplex for local repeater pairs. Use it for sure talk around to clear busy repeater and close in group operation.

What kind of range do you get in talk around? Also, how easy is it to use for closed group comms?

Thanks!

K6LED

Just FYI, I think they had the radio locked on low power for the FCC tests. It definitely puts out 4W on UHF, 5W on VHF (on hi power), and I've seen guys report that it is actually doing a bit more than that. ERP, of course, is a bit lower, which keeps it under the limits, esp. on low-power (2W VHF and 1W UHF, hence the 1.1W on the FCC test).

I know I can ping repeaters all the way across SoCal from inside my house with the rubber duckie, so it gets the job done. :)

PHRadio

I still wonder how it can pass certification for GMRS use when it also has VHF capabilities.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Seems like a neat handheld that does GMRS (+Repeaters) and MURS with a removable/detachable antenna.

TERA TR-505 GMRS/MURS Recreational Handheld Radio [TR-505] - $104.99

The FCC ID seems to be 2ACK8TR505, but I cannot find any part grants on the FCC database even though the website claims it to be Part 95 compliant.

Cheers,
Kermee
I know this is a bit dated but, this may have been merely a typo by Powerwerx since the Tr505 is merely a 16 channel Gmrs Repeater/simplex radio with no Vhf abilities, according to the specs on their website today. :). 73, n9zas

K6LED

I still wonder how it can pass certification for GMRS use when it also has VHF capabilities.

I think it's fine as long as it comes from the factory with only one service pre-programmed. At least that's the word for now.

As an after-market reseller, I offer the radio with the stock factory programming (all GMRS), but like many two-way radio resellers, I also offer custom programming with alternate settings.

I think if people use it responsibly, it doesn't pose a problem – not sure why we can't have both bands (at the proper power levels) and WX receive included - makes it a great emergency SHTF portable. ;)

PHRadio

I know this is a bit dated but, this may have been merely a typo by Powerwerx since the Tr505 is merely a 16 channel Gmrs Repeater/simplex radio with no Vhf abilities, according to the specs on their website today. :). 73, n9zas

Well okay then. :) They have changed it on their website. Does this mean I have to buy it. Please tell my wife I have to.

K6LED

Actually, if you look closely, they still mention that it's a dual-band radio, but yeah, the factory configuration is just as a GMRS.

I don't think they will last long in this configuration - I know they're working on a way to make the "type-acceptance" less ambiguous. ;)

Until then, I'm grabbing as many as I can (and keeping a pile for myself).

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well okay then. :) They have changed it on their website. Does this mean I have to buy it. Please tell my wife I have to.
Wifey of PH Radio; he has been ordered to purchase the Tr 505 gmrs radio :D. Yeah, upon going to the link the page was removed. But if you scroll down to the Terra brand of equipment then you would see the Tr 505 listed. No Murs ability though... 73, n9zas

nd5y

There are three radios that look identical and three FCC IDs.
TR-500 VHF/UHF commercial
TR-505D GMRS/MURS
TR-505 GMRS only

They might all be the same hardware. I don't know if they are actually selling the TR-505D or if they ever did.

K6LED

The TR-500 is the commercial radio version with Part 90 Cert. It's the same radio guts as the TR-505, but a different model and cert.

The TR-505D is indeed the radio that they are selling now. I'm a reseller and this is the one that I resell as well. There aren't many left though, but they will be replacing it with something that's locked down a bit more. :)

The TR-505 ID is the original/old cert, that didn't include all of the operating specs - It's still technically valid, but it was a screw-up and has been replaced by the TR505D.

Hope this helps.

PHRadio

Wifey of PH Radio; he has been ordered to purchase the Tr 505 gmrs radio :D. Yeah, upon going to the link the page was removed. But if you scroll down to the Terra brand of equipment then you would see the Tr 505 listed. No Murs ability though... 73, n9zas

Hahaha! Thanks! I think I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.