Test for P25 Decode Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi Upman,

I've found for years with my BC796D that using FM over NFM does help improve things on our system here, so I expected similar results with the new scanner. Here's how the change worked out for the BCD436HP:

System: Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) Trunking System, Phoenix, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies
Specific site monitored (if known): Simulcast A, by far our worst offender for simulcast problems on the RWC.

Condition before: Decodes well. Most transmissions come in perfect, a few errors reported during P25 adjustment mode ranging from 0 to at most 24 on a particularly bad transmission (lots of simulcast distortion). I'd rate the performance as anywhere from very good to excellent. A huge improvment over my BC796D.

Condition after: Still works much better than my 796D, but I noticed more dropouts and higher error rates using FM over NFM. It's not a huge difference, but it seemed to handle the simulcast issues out here a bit better *before* I made the change than it did *after*. I also tried FMB to see what that might do, but it REALLY didn't like that, so I put it back to NFM.

In summary, though I only spent a few minutes experimenting with this, NFM appears to be the way to go (for this system at least).

Hope that helps! (See? I'd make a good beta tester, hint hint)
-AZ

mancow

Database Admin
Just tested this on the State of Kansas KSICS system (non simulcast). The radio was kept in the same spot during both modulation settings changes and the stock antenna was used.

NFM decode was 100%
FM decode was spotty. Decode would often drop half way though a transmission. I would say it was a 50% decrease in performance.

P25 settings were left in AUTO at all times.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4390
Paola site was monitored with one signal bar at this location.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Last edited:

whsbuss

I sure hope to see some results from those with current poor decoding/missed transmissions. So far only those with good results before/after.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Summary far (FORMATTING FROM SPREADSHEET DOES NOT PASTE...SO THE JUMBLED UP VERSION IS BELOW):
System Site (or Freq) NFM FM
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies 152.5475 Very Bad Excellent
Sedgwick County (Project 25) Emergency Services Radio System Trunking System, Wichita, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies Site 1 Excellent Excellent
Escambia County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference 460.15000/465.15000 KIN947 RM 718 NAC A7 Info Net(Records Check) P25 Law Talk Excellent Excellent
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies "Arlington
Dumfries
Fairfax
Independent Hill
Mobile Site-
Richmond
Richmond
Thornburg
" Excellent Excellent
Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies Unknown Excellent Poor
Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) Trunking System, Phoenix, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies Simulcast A Good Fair (got worse)
Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies New Orleans North Simulcast Excellent Excellent

JoeyC

San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies
Site(s): North and South Cells
Condition Before: Poor
Condition After: Improved

P25 Threshold at Man 10 still outperforms Auto for me on this system. (If that helps any)

Question: Does making the change to the Band Default to FM on the scanner have the same effect as changing the site modulation to FM in the software? Without running 2 scanners simultaneously its hard to say, but I think I had slightly better results when making the change in software as opposed to the hardware change.

Still evaluating though.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
earlpearl: Please update your report to make it complete. I cannot use it in its current form.

whsbuss

San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies
Site(s): North and South Cells
NFM: Poor
FM: Improved

P25 Threshold at Man 10 still outperforms Auto for me on this system. (If that helps any)

Question: Does making the change to the Band Default to FM on the scanner have the same effect as changing the site modulation to FM in the software? Without running 2 scanners simultaneously its hard to say, but I think I had slightly better results when making the change in software as opposed to the hardware change.

Still evaluating though.

Aaah finally, a Motorola Type II SmartZone with issues. Same as seeing it here.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Once again: If you are going to offer a report in this thread use the following
format as was requested by UPMan:

To submit a report:
FORMAT FOR REPORTING (to make my life a little easier):
Link to the system in RRDB.
Specific site monitored (if known).
Condition before: Excellent / Poor
Condition after: Excellent / Poor

Then, put any additional discussion you want to add.
Do not reply unless you use the format above.
Also please do not comment in this thread unless you have a report to pass along.
Help us keep thread "noise" down by only replying if you have a report to pass along.
Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Upman - Here is my report:

Link to the system in RRDB. Louisville Emergency Communications Network: MetroSafe Trunking System, Multiple, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies (Louisville MetroSafe)
Specific site monitored (if known). Jefferson County Simulcast, (800 MHZ)
Condition before: Excellent / Poor Excellent
Condition after: Excellent / Poor Poor

It was a pretty noticeable degradation from from NFM to FM. The audio quality and it "seemed" to miss some transmissions - there was a lot more radio traffic received in NFM than FM (of course it could have been just a quiet period).

I reverted back to the original setting.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Link to the system in RRDB.
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
Specific site monitored: Mt. Weather, Fairfax, Arlington
Condition before: no signal, no bars
Condition after: no signal, no bars

But I can receive two talk groups from this system fine on my PSR-500.
Same results--no signal--with STARS programmed in the 436 as a trunked system and with the one frequency they use--152.7275--programmed as a conventional P25 frequency.

mancow

Database Admin
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.