Testing antenna coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
I have 4 antenna leads from the attic to my radio shack. Unfortunately the labels are gone and I don't know which is which. What tool or method do your recommend to identify each coax run individually? Thanks.

cmdrwill

But, you would have to disconnect the coax at the antenna and put the 'dongle' on the coax.

There are other ways,

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Ideally? Pros would use a toner and inductive pickup amplifier. A decent set will cost around $100.00

Easier approach is to short one end of one of the cables and use a multimeter to find the short.

I am not skilled is such things but do have a multimeter. How do I short one of the of the coax cable?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am not skilled is such things but do have a multimeter. How do I short one of the of the coax cable?

You can likely use a short piece of wire. Just something to make a good electrical connection between the center pin and the outer shield.

Do one cable at a time. Make sure both ends of all cables are disconnected from the antennas and radios.

Use a continuity checker or multimeter to figure out which cable is showing a direct connection between the center pin and the shield on the far end.

majoco

Stirrer
Actually I wouldn't short the far end of the coax and then measure the resistance from the near end - what would this achieve if the coax is shorted braid-to-centre somewhere along it's length or in one of the plugs? Buy one of those cheap-as-chips 50ohm ethernet terminations and put that at the far end then see if you can measure its resistance plus maybe half an ohm - anything else is suspicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.