• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TETRA in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDane

Hi,
We are two students from a Danish University writing our thesis, about the future for TETRA on the american market. Due to our lack of knowledge regarding the american market, we would like to have an experts thoughts and opinions on the matter. Therefore we are hoping if someone would willing to help us. Any answer would be of great help.

First of all we would like to know a bit about what opportunities / threats we have to be aware of on the american market compared to the european market for example? Is there different regulations? is there a bigger need for data transfer (i.e. the 2 x 10MHz bands wanted)? Which opportunities / threats do you see being the most important to take into consideration?

Who would you describe as being the competitors of TETRA on the american market?

Regarding the financial crisis, do you see the US government budgeting with a new Public Safety network in the near future? we know that this has been a big subject since the 9/11 where the network fail to some degree. what would you think the most realistic method would be, in order to build a public safety network, nationwide?

We are looking forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
Andreas & Lasse

sharpj

The future of TETRA in the US

Number one, the future of TETRA in the US is totally dependent on Motorola and who they sue. Motorola has intellectual property in TETRA (just like they claim in MPT-1327 & DMR-III). THe FCC has recently approved several waivers (suspention of the rules) to allow TETRA but the problem remains----if I build a system who will sue me. Presently, BC Hydro is planning to build a TETRA system but that is in Canada. There was a pilot TETRA system in New Jersey and one in Green Bay, WI. The Green bay one may expand and may become a commercial system. At this moment a lot of pressure is being put on Motorola to OK TETRA but that is like trying to pressure God to do something. The competitors are Iden, Open Sky which is similar and P-25 which is another Motorola stronghold--------because they have IP in it also. Want to build a P-25 radio, you must pay Motorola and IMBE royalties---so much for an open standard----it is a controlled standard. And of course iden is theirs----legally and ethically. I think the batwing boys are just waiting until you cannot license a 25 KHz channel due to narrowbanding and then they will claim TETRA is free to anybody. If you prefer to sell $3800 portables as opposed to $380 ones---thats the way you do it. The issue in my mind is freedom to chose not specifically being forced to buy a specific product. I've been in this business since 1964 (when I worked for Motorola at 4545 Augusta Blvd, Chicago, IL) and the problem is not the equipement quality but the ethics of the business model. JES

bezking

Gents,

It's extremely unlikely that the US Government would build out a radio system on the nationwide level in an attempt to unify emergency communications across the country. The reasons for that are that it would extremely costly, and the state and local governments who have invested combined billions in their own systems would not be happy if they all had to throw their systems out and switch.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Want to build a P-25 radio, you must pay Motorola and IMBE royalties---so much for an open standard

IMBE is the name of the vocoder not the company. You would have to pay DVSI, the company that developed it royalties.

However, you do not have to pay Motorola anything. There is nothing licenced from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.