SDR# TETRA IPv4 network decoding and capturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar1

Hello everyone.

I am sorry for the silence in last 3 months regarding this development. I had a personal loss in family and I was not too keen on doing much of anything.

I am now following the development of tetra trunk tracker and tetra net monitor. If the interest in my work is still out there, I will probably resume my work at some time, firstly trying to merge it with all the new work that has been done. So let me know.

Greetings to everyone

sender1

hello polar1, I am very sorry for you.mein condolences.I wish you feel better soon.interested in your work is still very large. all good and lots of power.

tsapers

Sorry for your loss polar1. All of the best! Continue doing what you love when you feel up to it again.

polar1

Hi everyone.

Just to give some heads up about what was going on for the past couple of days.

#1 news - I finally got myself an LNA4ALL (big thanks to Adam 9a4qw for building this great piece of equipment). It helped quite a lot with signal reception since I live in a basement floor and am limited with placing my dipole just outside the window next to the house wall, about 1 meter above the floor.

#2 - I finally started working on a branch of TetraNetMonitor again. I contined my work on 1.0.0.4 release (the last one I was able to access off the TSSDR's git). I am trying to reach @thewraith2008 to pull the latest version of source if he allows this.

#3 - packet capturing is working fine for me at this moment. The issue with wireshark errors has been resolved for now by sending keepalive packets every 5 seconds. Wireshark now no longer complains about no traffic on pipes. There is still some optimizations to be done to speed up the packet processing and handle possible exceptions.

#4 - I have been running 10 (sometimes even 12) active instances of sdr# plugin for last 2 days now 24/7 without single crash. This is, of course, not because of miracle bugfixing, but because of surrounding everything from LLC layer and above into try-catch blocks. Now exception gets cought and logged instead of software crashing. This is not a good permanent solution in processing chain since try-catch blocks negatively affect performance. But I haven't seen any drops for now so it is going to stay like this until I work out the complete functionality.

#5 - after some packet capturing and analysis of UDP packet contents, I managed to decode packets of local public transport dynamic passenger information system which gets data through TETRA IP traffic. This has allowed me to get info when trams and busses arrive at and/or leave certain station. I am still trying to solve the minutes until arrival mystery but it's all coming along nicely. Now I'm following the trams according to static time schedules and mapping IP addresses of public screens to the station names. Finally I will be able to see when my tram is coming closer to the station :) official app of the company still seems to be far off into the future.

#6 - all this will be out there for you to try it out in a couple of days, maybe even today if I manage to do some things I have on queue. Now, of course, I might be very lucky that my local public transport company uses TETRA, doesn't encrypt it at all, sends IP packets through it at all and even updates tram locations through these packets. So don't get too excited just to start capturing and find that you only see those keepalive packets in wireshark. I will try to expose my rtl-sdr as a spyserver from time to time so you guys who don't have this luck can try and play with it, see how and if this works for you. It is going to be relatively rare though, since I only have this one stick and I need it for testing :)
The latest version will be released on the new post here, with new instructions on how to use it and what to be aware of.

Lastly, I am just glad to be working on this little hobby side-project of mine again, in little free time i've got and I am very happy that it really seems to be working. I hope I will find some users around here who will have luck of having some IP traffic in their TETRA networks so we can test this on more than one unique case.

Cheers to everyone, and here's a screenshot of that DPI messages queueing up as a teaser :)

Last edited:

polar1

New release

After a good while, here is the new version of TetraNetMon with IP packet capturing functionality. All the details regarding the process of getting this work done is written in the post above.

In the download I am including TetraNetMonitor (SDR# plugin and exe) together with preconfigured SDR# (latest version downloaded from official site). There is some potential configuration that needs to be done before using this.

Detailed instructions regarding the configuration and usage are included in zip. Please read these carefuly and follow all of the steps, especially to make sure everything was done right before posting any issues here.

Download

Download TetraNetMonitor with IP packet capturing support here

Future work

In the future releases, expect primarily bugfixes and optimizations. Public transport feature is experimental (details in the included readme file) and will probably be separated from the TetraNetMonitor. If you stumble upon any IP traffic and want to write a custom decoder for some internal encapsulated protocols, PM me for details on how to connect with the decoder plugins and grab data for further processing.

molay

nice to see that the development continues active, as soon as I have time I will try the new version. thx.

LA6FRA

I think it is working fine but I do not see anything else happening. What is this monitoring for? Like TTT?

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    200.7 KB · Views: 144

hamradionl

SDR# crash, popup screen see PM

System.dllnotfoundexeption
tetravoicedec
Hresult: 0x8007007E
SDRsharp.tetranetmon.nativemethods.tetra_decode_init()
SDRsharp.tetranetmon.tetra_decoder..ctor(control owner)
SDRsharp.tetrapanel..ctor(|sharpcontrol control, int32 pluginnumber)

at SDRSharp.TetraNetMon.dll.TetraPanel.DecodingThread (IL offset: 0x1c8)
at mscorlib.dll.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (IL offset: 0x14)
at mscorlib.dll.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (IL offset: 0x79)
at mscorlib.dll.ExecutionContext.Run (IL offset: 0x0)
at mscorlib.dll.ExecutionContext.Run (IL offset: 0x2b)
at mscorlib.dll.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart (IL offset: 0x8)

Last edited:

hamradionl

When a standard clean install WIN10-PRO, need to install all below "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable"
If not all is done, get all those errors and SDR# crash. This info is not shared in manual.
Thanks to all... for the support.

"Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)

maxthered

I've upgrade from W7 to W10, add SdrSharp, install.bat, Zalig and worked, also past DLL into directory & magic line in *.config.

Why this error ?

Error.jpg

Ubbe

According to Microsoft that error code seems to popup when there's a mismatch between software and hardware. Sometimes a 32bit file are used when a 64bit are called for, due to that the registry have not been updated properly to change from 32 to a 64bit dll file, usually at a win10 update or in this case upgrading from win7 to win10.

The entry in the registry key needs to be deleted, or perhaps you can register the dll file by right clicking on it and select to register it.
If that fails, use the search function in the registry editor and search for that dll file and see where it exists in the registry and delete it.

/Ubbe

maxthered

What's the registry key to delete ?
Registry and delete DLL with the command ?

I've update all package :
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)

There's this info from Microsoft for error 0x8007007E :

But java is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.