• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

TETRA Takes Another Try at U.S. Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
1,064
Location
Pennsylvania
#1
TETRA technology is making a second push into the North American market after a failed attempt about eight years ago. Several groups of U.S. mission-critical communications users are showing interest in TETRA technology, a trunked radio standard developed in Europe that has been blocked from deployment in the United States because of intellectual property rights (IPR).
http://mccmag.com/onlyonline.cfm?OnlyOnlineID=39
 

citylink_uk

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
254
#3
It works very well for us here. It's all about the infrastructure though as it's limited to 1W output on handsets and 3W output on Mobiles.

I can see it being usefull for small site applications but its really too expensive to put the required infrastructure up for wide area comms. A main private company that owns the system we're on and we rent airtime off it.

To provide good 95% portable street level coverage we have around 45 sites in our county.

Commercial TETRA hasn't taken off here because of two factors. Price and Frequencies. Its simply too expensive to justifty it over a analogue MPT1327 system or conventional that would cost 1/10th of the price and UHF frequencies are expensive and hard to aquire for TETRA in many urban areas.
 

citylink_uk

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
254
#5
JerryNone said:
In 90% of cases we, THE PEOPLE, can listen in.
We do NOT need a system that we CANNOT listen to.
Democracy First.
.....and how do you listen into P25 ENC systems then?

The technology has to progress, not being able to listen in is just an unfortunate side affect.
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,352
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
#8
brey1234 said:
TETRA technology is making a second push into the North American market after a failed attempt about eight years ago. Several groups of U.S. mission-critical communications users are showing interest in TETRA technology, a trunked radio standard developed in Europe that has been blocked from deployment in the United States because of intellectual property rights (IPR).
http://mccmag.com/onlyonline.cfm?OnlyOnlineID=39
Won't happen for public safety. One reason why: Interoperability. No one's going to give up their federal funding because they chose to install a radio system that doesn't play well with all the others.

And in the article itself there's another ray of light (and who would have thought Motorola's lawyers would actually say something we scanner users would LIKE?):

Motorola attorneys told him that Motorola will not license its U.S. patents essential for TETRA, which blocks use of TETRA equipment in the U.S. “We believe it is a violation of U.S. antitrust law,”
Yeah.... Somehow, I think TETRA in the US ain't happenin' anytime soon. Motorola owns the rights and they're not going to budge.

-AZ
 

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
293
Location
Fort Worth, Texas
#9
AZScanner said:
Won't happen for public safety. One reason why: Interoperability. No one's going to give up their federal funding because they chose to install a radio system that doesn't play well with all the others.

And in the article itself there's another ray of light (and who would have thought Motorola's lawyers would actually say something we scanner users would LIKE?):



Yeah.... Somehow, I think TETRA in the US ain't happenin' anytime soon. Motorola owns the rights and they're not going to budge.

-AZ
Check the article again. It wasn't Motoropoly's lawyers that said they believe it to be a violation of U.S. anti-trust laws. It was Warren Havens, who is pushing for TETRA to be allowed in the U.S. Motorola does not want it here because they would end up losing more market share than they have in the past few years. Most of the TETRA infrastructure and radios in Europe is Nokia. Motorola could not compete with Nokia if they were selling into the U.S. public safety market.
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,352
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
#10
fwradio said:
Check the article again. It wasn't Motoropoly's lawyers that said they believe it to be a violation of U.S. anti-trust laws.
Uhh... actually, yes it was:

Quote:
Motorola attorneys told him that Motorola will not license its U.S. patents essential for TETRA, which blocks use of TETRA equipment in the U.S. “We believe it is a violation of U.S. antitrust law,”

As I said, it's not happenin' no matter how loud Havens complains about it. Motorola has made that pretty clear.

-AZ
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top