TG 310 on Brandmeister Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

My point is, again, that DMR is not only unlike ham radio, it is incompatible with traditional use of ham frequencies and equipment. If you need a phone, then you are not doing ham radio at your location.

Hit_Factor

... If you need a phone, then you are not doing ham radio at your location.

Whether you like it or not the digital modes will continue and evolve throughout the amateur radio hobby.

I use APRSDroid to text my ham buddies, it most definitely is license required amateur radio.

Simple monitoring doesn't require a license, listening to hoseline is just another type of media available on the internet.

You can yell 'get off my grass(dmr)' and lead the hobby to it's demise, you can embrace the digital modes and lead our hobby to new and exciting modes, or just get out of the way.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
My point is, again, that DMR is not only unlike ham radio, it is incompatible with traditional use of ham frequencies and equipment. If you need a phone, then you are not doing ham radio at your location.

Agree on the phone comment, and disagree on the DMR comment.
DMR is radio like any other, not incompatible or any more odd than CW vs AM vs SSB, vs FM, etc. until you start internet linking it. No different than IRLP, AllStar, or EchoLink being used on FM.
It's not that it's DMR, it's how DMR is being used in certain manners. I use DMR on two state/region-wide systems. Neither is connected to DMR-MARC-BandMeister, or any other of the internet hubs/chat rooms. One of the systems is dedicated microwave linked, so is stand alone. I like that it is clear in fringe areas, and has twice the talk paths on a single pair.

"..incompatible with traditional use of ham frequencies..." At one time that was applied to AM, then SSB, then....... What is, and who defines "traditional"? Ten years from now something else is going to come along, and the same may be said by some then. My HF gear will still be up, I'll still be on FM, and still be using digital. I won't technically mis-define the new found mode by how certain users apply it, or because it goes against my idea of traditional ham radio.

We best be busy using whatever we like, and on all of our allocated bands. There's big money out there that would like our spectrum for their own enterprise.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Easy solution would be for you to not use it.

I use DMR and enjoy it for ham radio. It is different, but once the concept is understood it’s easy to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

Who needs a phone? I use DMR repeaters every single day. I don't go through a phone or the internet.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Easy solution would be for you to not use it.
How dare you! He is "The Radio Boss" and whatever he says is canon. So sayeth, so let it be done.

This newfangled voice communication has got to go! It is spark gap or nothing! With that added circuitry to convey phone communication, you are introducing additional points of failure. It does not matter that your cellular phone is using RF. Arrgghh...dang kids get off my lawn.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
It is exactly what you said DaveNF2G, not much like ham radio. The amateur service collectively took something commercial and hacked it into use as a ham radio mode of communication. When you look at the tiered structure of the DMR network its freaking brilliant. But, now we have millions of talkgroups at our disposal and its just out of hand. If you can't program an entire system(or at least a timeslot's worth of talkgroups) into one zone on a commercial radio, its too many talkgroups. Less is more. Let that sink in here. Less. Is. More.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Indeed! Simplex DMR works quite well and no bloody internet is required. :ROFLMAO:

Even going through a repeater, it doesn't have to be hooked through the internet. There are plenty of standalone DMR repeaters that are not. It's great having two timeslots. These old-timers like Dave can give their local weather reports, and rant about their kidneys, and bowels, and latest medical appointments on one time slot while leaving the other open for calling and other comms. On one local repeater, all the nets are conducted on one timeslot while regular traffic is conducted on the other. It's brilliant. Nets no longer monopolize an entire repeater for hours. Best thing since sliced bread.

And they do it all without a phone or internet. And even better yet, you get the added bonus of crystal clear communications, longer range, and massively extended battery life.

I honestly don't know where some people come up with these wacky ideas about DMR. Well...actually I do. They either never used it, or failed programming their codeplug and now just have nothing but bad things to say. There is no other explanation I can think of to explain the ignorance that a phone or internet are somehow required for DMR. Shhhhhhh...don't tell the commercial/business world about that requirement. I'm not sure what the tens of thousands of users would do, since their repeaters are neither connected to the internet nor phone.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
When you look at the tiered structure of the DMR network its freaking brilliant.

It is brilliant. Local, regional, state/provincial, country, international. It’s a simple concept that works reasonably well.

But, now we have millions of talkgroups at our disposal and its just out of hand. If you can't program an entire system(or at least a timeslot's worth of talkgroups) into one zone on a commercial radio, its too many talkgroups. Less is more. Let that sink in here. Less. Is. More.

It’s not ‘millions’ of talk groups. And in my radio I can make a zone rather large. Currently my local DMR-MARC repeater zone has 23 channels in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DaveNF2G

Those of you who don't want to get the point never will. Carry on.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Those of you who don't want to get the point never will. Carry on.
Your viewpoint is clear to me. This forum is great place to share it. Still, if things in the amateur radio world did not move forward with experiments and progress because a few felt it was not in the "spirit" of amateur radio, where would we be? It is an evolving hobby with numerous facets to explore which is what makes it wonderful, in my opinion.

I have heard some operators say, "If it isn't RF, it is not ham radio". I do understand that, but tens of thousands of other licensed operators do not limit themselves to that line of thinking. Are you right, yes. Are others right too, yes. Amateur radio is what you want it to be and that's the fun.

I also understand KC8ESL' point about less is more. To that end, this forum is actually taking away topics that may have otherwise been discussed on the bands. I really do get it, but perhaps being able to adapt to some degree is what helps me go with the flow. I surely do not feel every facet of amateur radio is "wonderful", in truth some I think are lacking in "communication". Still, those that use those particular modes are having fun and that's the point.

Imagine if everyone called CQ every day, or at least every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.