manual but the only statements there indicate the system might need to
be changed to Motorola I.

Is the RR information correct ?
So, the real question : Can any other nearby listeners hear both sides
of the conversation for this TGID ?

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
If it is like most local TRS's in NC, the Durham system SHP talkgroups will only broadcast the comm center unless a trooper talks back on an 800 radio for that system. In other words, the SHP comm center will broadcast dispatches for the Durham Co. troopers on the appropriate VHF channel and the 800 TRS. Maybe someone in the Triangle that monitors that system will chime in to confirm this.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Womey-
1st off welcome to RR.com! Firecop is right...here is the rule of thumb for NCSHP communications:
In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, 800 mHz portables have been issued, and the high band systems in the cars, including the vehicular repeaters, are being removed. When the troopers are out of the vehicle, they will utilize the 800 mHz portables in place of the high band radios and repeaters.

In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, the troopers will use the low band when in the car, and the 800 mHz portable when out of the car.

In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, the low band dispatch only is multicast on the 800 mHz system, but the low band mobile-to-base frequency is not repeated over the 800 mHz system.

So there is nothing wrong with your radio or the Durham system...that is just "how the NCSHP rolls"...
I would also suggest reading over the VIPER thread stuck to the top of the forum...it is a long thread but will help you out in monitoring 800Mhz in NC...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall Sherard KE4ZNR

womey

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for Info

Thanks FireCop and KE4ZNR for the info on the Durham TRS. Much appreciated

mhodgson

Durham SHP TG

Actually the reason that you hear only the dispatch side on the SHP's TG on the Durham City system is this:

Previously cars working Troop C, District 7 utilized the City system when in Durham County and the VIPER system when working Granville County. With the VIPER system now being on the same sites as the City of Durham, all cars are working on VIPER in both counties. There is still a radio in the communications center that works the SHP talkgroup on the city system and is simultaneously broadcasting when ever Raleigh transmits on VIPER Troop C, District 7, however when the cars respond, they are on VIPER.

Status
Not open for further replies.