Kenwood: TH-D74E - Does it support location based scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggorm

Hi,

I was wondering if the TH-D74E support location based scanning. So that if a channel includes a coordinate, it will lock it out, or open it op, based on my distance to it.

If this is not supported. Are there any other handhelds that do this?

wrath

The closest I can think of to that would be the DMR radio/smart phone hybrid but it only knows what has been crowd sourced or reported by repeater coordinators, and based on proximity it will "self program " if you click on that repeater info on the screen.and it will only work within amateur spectrum frequencies, you could get a frequency counter and "sniff " things out by entering its active hits on a scanner and listening or perhaps the new uniden could sorta do it based on the database on the Sd card ,but as far as I know you have to know where you are and already have the system programmed in order for it to transition based on GPS location.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Hoggorm

The TH-D74 does not have that feature.

Thank you. As I suspected.

I know the radio is not a scanner, but I have the TH D72 and am happy with it. The only reason to upgrade was if it had such a feature. I’ve considered scanners, but then I had to carry two. The scanner and the ham radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you want to do location-based scanning, especially if you want to scan outside the amateur bands or trunked systems, you have 2 handheld choices, the 436HP and the SDS100. The 436HP does not do as good of a job handling simulcast as the SDS100, but for analog and non-simulcast digital stuff, the 436HP works great.

I have a favorite list with repeaters in PA, MD, WV, VA, and DC, all tagged with location coordinates. With GPS enabled, the scanner automatically scans the ones nearby.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...but I have the TH D72 and am happy with it. The only reason to upgrade was if it had such a feature.
I had a TH-D72 and a TH-F6. Getting a TH-D74 allowed me to sell both of those other radios and I still have the functionality (APRS, built-in packet TNC, 222 MHz band, SW and broadcast band listening) that I had in the previous radios, but combined into one package. I also got D-STAR. And, the OLED color display on the TH-D74 puts most other handheld amateur radios to shame.

But, I also understand that different people are looking for different things in the radios they carry. You gotta do what's best for you.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I also have the TH-D74 and love it for same reasons W9BU mentions above. Great SW reception with 15 feet of wire, surprisingly good CW filtering, and decent dual band analog scanning. But I use it mainly for D-Star with my OpenSpot, or more recently, Zumspot.
But for true trunking/location based scanning, the D74 is obviously not a scanner. That's what my 436, and more recently, SDS-100 is for.

Hoggorm

My problem is that no scanner appears to have both features I want:

Location Based Scanning based on GPS (not zip code as I live in Norway) and DMR support.

The Icom IC-R30 has Location based scanning that seem very good, but do not support DMR.

I was also considering the Uniden UBCD-3600-XLT (or 436HP as you call it over there). This scanner has DMR, but only a limited location-based scanning where I would need to avoid and unavoid (?) systems as I travel. Not exactly what I want. I could connect a GPS, but that is not acceptable. I like to travel light.

I had almost decided to buy the Uniden, but I've changed my mind the last few days. I would have to carry two radios and the only thing it really does that the TH-D72 do not is DMR...

If it had had location-based scanning I would have ignored the burden of carrying two radios, but I do not feel the pros outweighs the cons in this case.

That is why I was -hoping- the TH-D74 had at least one of the features I'm looking for :)

wrath

I carry four radios two in dual shoulder holsters one in my pocket and a mobile (K 710GA) sometimes i act as a mobile repeater to enhance coverage at those times i go to EL on my 74 to use the repeater . Or screw around on digital via my 74 , I thoroughly reccomend shoulder and body holsters , i cart around most of my everyday load out in those shoulder holsters ,when I come home I slip it off and hang it on the door and before I leave I slide it back on. Very convienent .i am a bit rusty on this because i use the output on my 710 ,but i believe you can plug the uniden into the 72 , like I say I use the output on my 710G rather than a seperate GPS.

Last edited:

Hoggorm

I carry four radios two in dual shoulder holsters one in my pocket

Although I appreciate your solution it is not ideal for me... I travel a lot by air and only carry a backpack. And all electronics is a hassle to unpack and repack before/after every security check...

wrath

I take my Multitool out but everything else stays in right thru the scanner and then just put it back on never had a problem or question about it ,no unpacking neccesary .Some times I transition to a scotte vest so I can carry more plus Have RFID blocking well carrying papers andctabletscand such , just send that right through scanner no problem.
Although I appreciate your solution it is not ideal for me... I travel a lot by air and only carry a backpack. And all electronics is a hassle to unpack and repack before/after every security check...

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was also considering the Uniden UBCD-3600-XLT (or 436HP as you call it over there). This scanner has DMR, but only a limited location-based scanning where I would need to avoid and unavoid (?) systems as I travel. Not exactly what I want. I could connect a GPS, but that is not acceptable. I like to travel light.

You can install a GPS inside the 436, and then it will do location-based scanning anwhere you can receive a GPS signal:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgu9qYmNHEkfDAuIfNg

Also when you connect a GPS, once the scanner has an updated location, you can disconnect the GPS and the scanner will continue to use the updated location. You only need to leave the GPS connected if you want to scan while you are in motion, and you're traveling far enough that what you can hear will change as you go.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've personally done it to dozens of 436 units. I assume (and you know what they say about assumptions) that the process for the European version would be very similar or identical. I doubt it would be feasible for me to do the mod, with international shipping both ways. But if you know someone with machining and soldering skills, it's not that difficult.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, discussions of how to set up a Uniden scanner really belong in the Uniden support forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.