• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thanks for all your help on G.M.R.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swen_out_west

(yes, I put periods in it so I didn't go to fast and dyslexic-ally spell it like I usually do, even though I know that it's G.M.R.S. . lol)

Anyways, thanks for all your help and yes, I have covered my butt and am now 1 of 24 people left in the entire valley (100 sguare miles) that still has their G.M.R.S. license. Plus, with my in depth research over the last 2 weeks I probably am the SME(Subject Matter Expert) for the whole valley. although nobody believes me or cares, lol.

I talked to a few HAMS over the weekend/today and most are dead set the license was discontinued (which it wasn't, still pending since 2010.) I heard a couple of times that I wasted $70 and should have just got my HAM license for half that. Even after bring them proof that the HAM isn't a super license. HAM is for HAM Bands, VHF Marine is for VHF MARINE (although discontinued) and GMRS is for GMRS, they won't believe me because I am not HAM licensed.

Honestly, I had to teach them that repeaters are not allowed on FRS, but it's okay because a record and playback is not a repeater by FCC standards as I learned the other day,

One even said,'The FCC was around on Friday and apparently they're legal'. I didn't even bring up that it was probably the Base that brought them up. I had a couple of FCC inspections when I was active duty to check our gear on base.

I'm backing off since if I scare them off then I'll have nobody left to talk to. I hope all the HAMS in the valley aren't like this bunch I ran into.

Well at least my butt is covered. They are looking into changing GMRS to 'rule by law'. maybe they are seeing how bad it might get before they make their final decision. Besides, the most traffic is in the FRS/GMRS freqs (interstitial), there really isn't a lot of people using GMRS. The two totally legal repeaters open to the public, with dual licensed HAMS/GMRS are offline even though listed in the GMRS repeater directory,

I'm going to the monthly meeting, I suspect they got these clowns down playing on FRS to keep them off other freqs. Can't do any real damage down there.

(I had to go through all times I typed G.M.R.S. and still typed 3 wrong, lol)

Well, this learning curve is behind me, now it's time to set it up for what I got into it for. One nice thing is that they did tell me a place to get a cheap record and playback for my own use. As for my fear that someone might get all *****y if I do a repeat and playback on interstitial, apparently not, lol.

And yes, you can scream and say 'that's illegal' but for less than $100 I can build a cheap field repeater for use when I am prospecting with my kids. 2 uv-82r's on low power stuck up high and we are good for a few conversations, On low power they probably won't even get out of the canyon anyways.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like a plan.

I gave up trying to educate amateurs years ago. In their own minds they are radio gods, and no one can tell them otherwise. It's kind of sad when an otherwise intelligent human being refuses to learn. Oh well, live and let live.

KD8DVR

(yes, I put periods in it so I didn't go to fast and dyslexic-ally spell it like I usually do, even though I know that it's G.M.R.S. . lol)

Anyways, thanks for all your help and yes, I have covered my butt and am now 1 of 24 people left in the entire valley (100 sguare miles) that still has their G.M.R.S. license. Plus, with my in depth research over the last 2 weeks I probably am the SME(Subject Matter Expert) for the whole valley. although nobody believes me or cares, lol.

I talked to a few HAMS over the weekend/today and most are dead set the license was discontinued (which it wasn't, still pending since 2010.) I heard a couple of times that I wasted $70 and should have just got my HAM license for half that. Even after bring them proof that the HAM isn't a super license. HAM is for HAM Bands, VHF Marine is for VHF MARINE (although discontinued) and GMRS is for GMRS, they won't believe me because I am not HAM licensed.

Honestly, I had to teach them that repeaters are not allowed on FRS, but it's okay because a record and playback is not a repeater by FCC standards as I learned the other day,

One even said,'The FCC was around on Friday and apparently they're legal'. I didn't even bring up that it was probably the Base that brought them up. I had a couple of FCC inspections when I was active duty to check our gear on base.

I'm backing off since if I scare them off then I'll have nobody left to talk to. I hope all the HAMS in the valley aren't like this bunch I ran into.

Well at least my butt is covered. They are looking into changing GMRS to 'rule by law'. maybe they are seeing how bad it might get before they make their final decision. Besides, the most traffic is in the FRS/GMRS freqs (interstitial), there really isn't a lot of people using GMRS. The two totally legal repeaters open to the public, with dual licensed HAMS/GMRS are offline even though listed in the GMRS repeater directory,

I'm going to the monthly meeting, I suspect they got these clowns down playing on FRS to keep them off other freqs. Can't do any real damage down there.

(I had to go through all times I typed G.M.R.S. and still typed 3 wrong, lol)

Well, this learning curve is behind me, now it's time to set it up for what I got into it for. One nice thing is that they did tell me a place to get a cheap record and playback for my own use. As for my fear that someone might get all *****y if I do a repeat and playback on interstitial, apparently not, lol.

And yes, you can scream and say 'that's illegal' but for less than $100 I can build a cheap field repeater for use when I am prospecting with my kids. 2 uv-82r's on low power stuck up high and we are good for a few conversations, On low power they probably won't even get out of the canyon anyways.
Not all hams are like that. I'm well aware of rules and technical requirements of most radio services. It is unfortunate, that an amateur license makes many think they are all knowing.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Hans13

It sounds like you have a good direction. Enjoy playing radio!

Believe it or not, I have held different licenses and run into many amateur operators like that. Frankly, I enjoy GMRS, FRS, MURS, and CB more right now. I paid $0 total for an amateur license. It has its uses, and there are quite a few good people I run into now and then. I really don't think the three license by rule services I mentioned nor the pay-to-play license are really going anywhere. Besides, a lot of us would probably continue to use the frequencies even if they did. Many used the dot frequencies long before MURS. Red Dot, still not MURS, has always been my personal favorite. The same is true of the others at some point in time. Perhaps Uncle Charlie is smart enough to realize that those who want to play radio need a way to do it, otherwise, other services might be affected. In my opinion, having license by rule frequencies in different bands is wise. It probably cuts down on a lot of pirating in other radio services.

Status
Not open for further replies.