• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Antenna Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhainor

Hi, guys, I'm new. And I've come seeking advice (or at least ideas).

I have a Cobra 29 WX NW ST, and a 27" Radio Shack magnet-mount antenna. I had everything mounted and working nigh-perfectly in my old car (a '96 Ford Thunderbird); the radio was mounted to the side of the center console, with the antenna cable run back to the trunk and the antenna mag'd onto the trunk lid.

However, I just recently traded in the Thunderchicken (heh, I don't think that word's ever getting old) and got an '06 Toyota 4Runner. I've got a good place to mount the radio, but there's not enough clearance on my garage door to stick the antenna up on the roof. Even on the T-bird, if it was on the roof, it would clip the top of the frame, and the 4Runner's even taller.

So, with what I have now, I've got two options: (a) Get out and lay the antenna down every time I go to pull into the garage, or (b) Park out in the driveway. Neither of those are exactly appealing. I dunno if maybe there's an antenna that's short enough to fit between the roof and the doorframe (I doubt it), or if I'll just have to break down and go with a permanent mount (I'd really rather not), but I figured you guys would have more experience with this sort of thing than I would.

For reference, the truck is a bit over 69" tall, and the garage door has 82" of clearance.

Any suggestions or ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks!

LtDoc

One option would be to relocate the antenna to the hood. May not be as convenient, or the 'best' place to put an antenna, but it will certainly work. Or, there are remote antenna positioners, both electrical and hydraulic that will raise/lower the thing (tilt it over). They are -not- cheap by any means! I think I could do a lot of antenna tilting by hand for that kind'a cost.
- 'Doc

hockeyshrink

One option would be to relocate the antenna to the hood. May not be as convenient, or the 'best' place to put an antenna, but it will certainly work. Or, there are remote antenna positioners, both electrical and hydraulic that will raise/lower the thing (tilt it over). They are -not- cheap by any means! I think I could do a lot of antenna tilting by hand for that kind'a cost.
- 'Doc

that's exactly where I have my cb antenna on my '06 4Runner. It is a base loaded whip with a spring. The mount is an L bracket NMO connected to the inside of the hood seam that mounts the antenna over the cowl....you know what I mean?

Now, I also have my ham antenna mounted to the roof so I do not do garages, but with the cb only I could easily by hooking the whip to the luggage rack.

Last edited:

Rhainor

For now, I think I'm going to put it on the roof, and see how much having to stop and lay it down irritates me. :p

For reference, this is the antenna I have currently. I'm sure I'll wind up getting another one at some point, but that's what I'm working with right now.

Moving to thinking long-term, if/when I get another antenna, I'd rather not put it on the hood. I actually unscrewed and removed my old T-bird's regular radio antenna from its mounting point next to the hood because I think having an antenna up front is an eyesore. :/

One possibility that I'm thinking about is getting a gap/lip mount (it'd have to be one that doesn't have too much reach on the underside) and putting it on the roof at the edge of the rear liftgate. If I do that, though, I'm still stuck with (a) get a quick-disconnect or something for low-clearance situations, or (b) park in the driveway.

Rhainor

Look at this;

Diamond® Antenna ~ K9000TM Motorized Mount

This is just an example of what you can find/make if you do a 'google' with "motorized tilt over antenna mount".
Does it work? Beats me, I don't have one. Would it work for your particular circumstances? That beats me too, would it?
- 'Doc
Nice find, Doc, thanks! This particular one won't work for me (not enough lip on the roof side of the roof/liftgate gap), but I see links for luggage-rack mounts on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.