• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

the best coax cable base station antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Back to the OP, personally with the A99. I'd just go with good ole Belden RG8 and be done with it...It's a CB radio. You're not building a rocket!!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
So the 175ft run in LMR400 has about 1.1dB loss .
prcguy
I calculate closer to 1.4 dB cable loss, even so that is pretty low.

I'm used to dealing with 440-480 MHz, and forgot that this is low band we're speaking of... :wink:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The CBers I grew up never worried about losses. Their answer was just to push more power!! ;)
With a properly tuned antenna system I can work the world on true QRP (5 watts max).

Power isn't the answer to everything! Do more with less... :D

TheSpaceMann

With a properly tuned antenna system I can work the world on true QRP (5 watts max).

Power isn't the answer to everything! Do more with less... :D
Well that's all most CBers ever had! They could talk all over the country with just 5 watts and a half wave on the roof. The problems started when the CB band became super crowded, and people began competing with each other for the DX by hooking up power mikes, opening up their audio, and adding linear amplifiers!

comoman

Premium Subscriber
how do I waterproofing the antenna connection?
do I just put electrical tape around the connector

Butyl tape is hands down the best product I've used for sealing coax connectors. It's a little missy but well worth it if you don't need to access the connection for long periods of time.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well that's all most CBers ever had! They could talk all over the country with just 5 watts and a half wave on the roof. The problems started when the CB band became super crowded, and people began competing with each other for the DX by hooking up power mikes, opening up their audio, and adding linear amplifiers!

Heh! Back in the early sixties I was able to talk cross-country from
Arlington, VA to San Francisco, CA on a 100mw HT (when skip was good). Those were the days... which will never return, darnit! :(

arkieguide

Length and power, both make a difference in co-ax. OK, I have a 50' run to my co-ax ground connection, then 30' on to my radio etc. may run 250 kicker. What is best in my case ? I do care about cost but want the best I can buy.
Thanks guys

prcguy

A couple tight layers of Scotch 33+ electrical tape will be good for the lifetime of most home installations. One of the best permanent ways to waterproof is an Andrew kit for Heliax connectors where you first put on a layer of thick electrical tape, then a sheet of tar like goo then a couple more layers of wide electrical tape. When its done it looks like a small black football but 40yrs from now the connectors will be just like new.

They key with any sticky tar like monkey snot is never put it directly on the connector or cable, always put a layer of tape down first or you will never get the goo off to make changes or repairs.

Butyl tape is hands down the best product I've used for sealing coax connectors. It's a little missy but well worth it if you don't need to access the connection for long periods of time.

arkieguide

Reading this - I wonder which is best for my run - 50' from antenna down mast to co ax grounding bar. Then 35 ' on to my radio. 3 ground rods in a triangle with my antenna.all connected. ground wire down inside the mast for a direct ground.Ground triangle 8' between grd. rods.

prcguy

If you are grounding for safety look up NEC Article 810 which deals with antenna grounding to meet code. If your grounding for lightning protection, without professional help and a lot of $$ to design a proper grounding system, you cannot survive a direct lightning hit without extensive damage so don't build something that will give you a false hope. If you are grounding to improve antenna performance you are wasting time and money because grounding as you describe will do nothing to improve transmission or reception or reduce noise.

Reading this - I wonder which is best for my run - 50' from antenna down mast to co ax grounding bar. Then 35 ' on to my radio. 3 ground rods in a triangle with my antenna.all connected. ground wire down inside the mast for a direct ground.Ground triangle 8' between grd. rods.

TheSpaceMann

Heh! Back in the early sixties I was able to talk cross-country from
Arlington, VA to San Francisco, CA on a 100mw HT (when skip was good). Those were the days... which will never return, darnit! :(
They just might return! Wait for the peak of the solar cycle!! ;)

arkieguide

PRC guy - I am just using my experience with gov. buildings - we ran grd wire to ever thing on roof, then our down lead went as straight down as possible, and hooked to the outside grd grid. Not a direct grd by itself.I have mine dropped down inside the antenna mast, directly to a copper grd.. rod, that rod connects to two other grd. rods.I am sold on good grounding both electrical and lightning,The ground wire for my gear, cases, also comes outside and hooks to that grid. The co-ax goes thru a grd. bar, that is hooked to this grid.I am not a smart a&&, but can use all the advice I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.