The Desk Rack of 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich,

Is that a Herman Miller Chair? If my room looked like that I'd never be leaving it, so it would have to be a great chair!
Yes, it is an Aeron chair. I bought several of these for our 9-1-1 center before I retired and they worked out great there. When I moved here I found a store that sold them so got one. I liked it so much we gave one to my son for Christmas that same year.

Expensive but it is the only chair that has lasted more than a year or two!

ra7850

Yes, it is an Aeron chair. II bought several of these for our 9-1-1 center before I retired and they worked out great there. When I moved here I found a store that sold them so got one. I liked it so much we gave one to my son for Christmas that same year.

I just got mine yesterday! :) I agree, expensive certainly, but well worth it if you're in it for most of the day.

ka1njl

Rich, you continue to set the standard for a well organized, and well equipped, shack. Thank for sharing your latest, and likely not your last, project.

CanesFan95

Hey Rich, that stack of radios is jaw-dropping! How about some photos of the antennas.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
love there racks.got AUDIORAX site bookmarked. If you had went to a full front type rack you could have mounted the 2 home patrols also. And stayed at the same height maybe. Great shack....

N9JIG

Sheriff
love there racks.got AUDIORAX site bookmarked. If you had went to a full front type rack you could have mounted the 2 home patrols also. And stayed at the same height maybe. Great shack....
I thought about that but I was pretty enthralled with the one I bought. It was a little higher and deeper than I really need for scanners as it was designed for audio equipment and the overhang turned out to be higher than I thought it would be. I was worried that the HP's would be too high to fit in there comfortably, as it turned out they can recede more than halfway back. I actually have horizontal room for a third HomePatrol should I come across one.

I am thinking about putting some external speakers under the overhang behind the Home Patrols. I rarely use external speakers but this presents a good opportunity to start as there is plenty of room.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Yes, it is an Aeron chair. II bought several of these for our 9-1-1 center before I retired and they worked out great there. When I moved here I found a store that sold them so got one. I liked it so much we gave one to my son for Christmas that same year.

Great looking shack.

I agree about Aeron chairs. In fact, my employer bought one for every office on campus. I love it. I just wish I had my chair here while I am working from home.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
If your employer failed to provide you with a chair, "after you requested one" or you are an LLC, S Corp, Sole Proprietor, etc. then yes a desk chair would be tax deductible. Get the money back and buy more radios. (y) :LOL:

CanesFan95

Only attic antennas? Isn't that a bummer having such a great setup but not having anything outside for better receive. Staying in apartments I've always had the same issue cause apartment are very mean and refuse to let you put up an outdoor antenna.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Only attic antennas? Isn't that a bummer having such a great setup but not having anything outside for better receive. Staying in apartments I've always had the same issue cause apartment are very mean and refuse to let you put up an outdoor antenna.
I had an apartment years ago that the manager let me put an outside antenna on the roof, the fact that we were dating I am sure had nothing to do with it! My last home was a townhouse and before that I had an apartment with attic access so have lived with only attic antennas for 35 years.

We love the house we are in and I knew going in that I would be restricted to attic antennas here so I checked out the attic before we put in a bid. It is in the foothills so I have some elevation but also some mountain blockage from the city. All in all the reception I get is better than I expected.

We figured on 5-10 years here and then deciding what to do next. We are now in that timeframe and are passively looking pending some family situations. The locale I really want has no HOA restriction and the lots available butt up to a small airport. I would be restricted to just under 100 feet AGL there due to the proximity of the airport so I would be fine with a tower and antennas. Due to its elevation a 50 foot tower would clear the roofline and provide great coverage for my needs. I would use a similar patch panel but with outside antennas I would use Polyphazers as the pass-thrus. I figure I would use all LMR400 on all the antennas, with N-connectors for uniformity. Most of my antennas are now in their 2nd or 3rd attic and some of them are over 30 years old. 2 of my ST-2's are almost 40. I think the new house will have all new antennas and coax...

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, I made a couple changes already. Although I usually do not use external speakers I thought since i had the room for them I would give it a try. I had one of the 2x4 inch speakers in the garage already so I tried it out and it fit nicely in the cubby behind the HomePatrols. I bought a few more and mounted them with Velcro under the overhang behind the HomePatrol.

I actaully have enough room for a third HomePatrol there so maybe one of these days if they ever come out with an HP3...

I also swapped around the 996's so that they are stacked and the 536's are stacked. I also got my wife to paint the Volume knobs on each of the radios so I can easily find them. She used maroon nail polish and it worked out great.

IMG_5004.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.