The " GoTenna " and other hardware like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5QZS

Today, I was looking up ways to send data to others in my area via a PC. I'm new to packet / data radio on HAM bands. I was trying to find hardware or something similar that I could plug into a USB port on a PC, plug into an antenna ( mine is outside ) and send receive texts via my computer to locals here.

I didn't have much luck with that, but I DID find this

goTenna | No service? No problem.

The GoTenna. It sounds promising.

I just wish there was a way to mount it on my PC, and hook it's antenna up to my tower I already have in place.

Hams, is there a piece of hardware you can buy that will plug into your PC ( via USB or other ) that will transmit and receive data ( text, possible images ) with out a BUNCH of complication involved? I want plug and play.

I got an STL / SDR usb stick, and I play around with it using SDR#. What I have in my head, is a stick device that does the same thing, but can not only receive but send data as well.

prerunner1982

I just wish there was a way to mount it on my PC, and hook it's antenna up to my tower I already have in place.

The problem with GoTenna is that it can only communicate with other GoTenna users. The idea is good but would be better if it could communicate with say FRS/GMRS/MURS type radios..... maybe something like this... Beartooth | Enabling Critical Communication

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
The problem with GoTenna is that it can only communicate with other GoTenna users. The idea is good but would be better if it could communicate with say FRS/GMRS/MURS type radios..... maybe something like this... Beartooth | Enabling Critical Communication

GoTenna is what happens when techies decide to profit off of Millenials who know nothing about radio communications. It is an antenna that connects to your smart phone and allows you to sent text messages using MURS. I've talked with the developers of it because I wanted to carry it on my website and it's a good product for the technologically illiterate and don't know what a two way radio is despite the fact that they have one glued to their ear and thumbs.

If you want to send data using your amateur radio transceiver, you're going to need a TNC or some sort of interface that works with Winlink or Airmail to send e-mails via PACTOR or WINMOR.

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
Today, I was looking up ways to send data to others in my area via a PC. I'm new to packet / data radio on HAM bands. I was trying to find hardware or something similar that I could plug into a USB port on a PC, plug into an antenna ( mine is outside ) and send receive texts via my computer to locals here.

Hams, is there a piece of hardware you can buy that will plug into your PC ( via USB or other ) that will transmit and receive data ( text, possible images ) with out a BUNCH of complication involved? I want plug and play.

I got an STL / SDR usb stick, and I play around with it using SDR#. What I have in my head, is a stick device that does the same thing, but can not only receive but send data as well.

What you need is a Terminal Node Controller. It is difficult to find one if you don't know what to look for. It seems like you are not very familiar with APRS; I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Here's a link to a website that sells what you probably need; just do your homework before you buy anything.

Kantronics KPC-3+ Radio Modem/TNC

Hope that helps.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You can send texts via dmr, dstar(?), fusion, etc. natively on the radio.

Otherwise you'd need a tnc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
You can send texts via dmr, dstar(?), fusion, etc. natively on the radio.

Otherwise you'd need a tnc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, but something like D-star requires an Icom transceiver and I don't know how big the US D-Star network is.

KF5QZS

You had asked distance wanted or needed -

I'm thinking like 1 mile to 10 miles.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yea, but something like D-star requires an Icom transceiver and I don't know how big the US D-Star network is.

I can't speak for DStar. I'm a DMR guy. The network is growing but currently DStar is bigger. However, not locked into an Icom radio with DMR. Haven't done any testing simplex for text messaging though.

Status
Not open for further replies.