The Grumpy Old Man Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Heh, the GOMC has always been there. You just move on to find your own niche.

Back in my day, the big complaint was that "computers" are taking kids attention away from Ham Radio. And I don't mean Apple II's. I'm talking DEC PDP-11's (or early S-100 bus computers) and so forth, where the "kids" are learning how to program in fortran, pascal, unix shell scripting etc with a big computer rather than using a slide rule!

The 3 big ones for the GOMC was incentive-licensing, calculators instead of slide rules, CB, and computers. Quite a few guys I knew "threatened not to renew their ARRL subscription" because of all the useless basic-program listings.

You just move on and find the niche / crowd that supports you.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Oh, my God, I am laughing so hard at the way you have described what I already suspected. Truthfully, many of these GOM might indeed be a bit OCD, possibly to the point of constipation. To each, his own. Not for this fella. After hearing some conversations, I have often thought, "they might have Asperger's Syndrome." LOL.

Asperger's .... yes, Ensnared- I do believe you are on to something.. :sneaky:

And they don't have to be Old... or particularly ...... whatever.....
There is a certain chemistry with so many of these fellows that once it is pointed out, you see it all the time.
This was pointed out to me several years ago when I was flamed by a gang of clowns in RR- I need'd his wake up call, for I never suspected that it was something so akin to Asperger's ...... smiles

Lauri :sneaky:

Another good point... are they grumpy because they are lonely, or lonely because they are grumpy ?
Kind'a of a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" scenario. I dare say, that the two fuel each other, for, personally I don't know any cheerful people that could be called lonely. Cheerfulness comes naturally to some of us, but it is still something that has to be worked at constantly by others. If someone has health issues etc., the efforts unfortunately only multiply.

I am not Saint Lauri - and tho I can understand the dynamics, I choose to avoid the GOM. Having been handed my head back on a platter too often when dealing with these types, I apologized to all their kind, but I won't tolerate rude, bumpkin behavior-- and I take my society elsewhere.

For me, Monty Python says it best... (smiles) in this ---

Last edited by a moderator:

majoco

Stirrer
Whenever we were all called for a 'meeting' with all the managers and the union reps in the big staff canteen, the tunes of hundreds of staff whistling "Always look on the bright side of life" or "Don't worry, be happy" echoed down the long corridors.... :)

Hey, Lauri, I sent you another PM on the 12th Dec - did you pick it up?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As far as the "radio snobbery" thing (a la the CCR's) it isn't just on the Ham side, nor just CCR's. I have encountered people from many Departments who will absolutely sneer at our Kenwood radios because it's apparently handed down on high somewhere that if it ain't Motorola, it don't belong in Public Safety. The Kenwoods have returned excellent service for a fraction of what the Motos cost. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I have to go through this periodically. A few years ago I retired our old Motorola SmartNet system, replaced it with a Kenwood NexEdge system. Had a few months of this exact issue. Still occasionally pops up. Doesn't matter how many times you explain it, I don't think some users get it. Like a Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge thing with muscle car fanatics, unless you side with them, you're wrong.

Okay, I'll bite............ what is a/an NOITALLYM ?
I am usually good up to 3 letters- 4 sometimes, but 9 ?!
Oh wow, that acronym knock'd me into the weeds ;)

If that's not enuff, I am still figuring out this new format- which I like, btw. I have founded out that I am not only a Heathen, buy also a Whiner (my choice of the dark screen display.)
Smashing !.... Makes me a GOW, No ? :giggle:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
As far as the "radio snobbery" thing (a la the CCR's) it isn't just on the Ham side, nor just CCR's. I have encountered people from many Departments who will absolutely sneer at our Kenwood radios because it's apparently handed down on high somewhere that if it ain't Motorola, it don't belong in Public Safety. The Kenwoods have returned excellent service for a fraction of what the Motos cost. Go figure.:rolleyes:
Any radio that does the wanted/needed job, with a clean signal, is good. I admit that I am leery of the CCRs, due to lack of quality control.

Sent using Tapatalk

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Like a Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge thing with muscle car fanatics, unless you side with them, you're wrong.

The same holds (held) true with Apple vs PC or Canon vs Nikon.
And I certainly remember all the "harrumphs" that spewed from the GOMs living in their mothers' basements when no-code licensing was about the become a reality.

bharvey2

Any radio that does the wanted/needed job, with a clean signal, is good. I admit that I am leery of the CCRs, due to lack of quality control.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm of the same mindset. Although I've heard and spoken to a fair number of folks on the ham bands that claim to be using CCRs and they sound pretty good and clean. The big boys aren't problem free. I had one of our older Kenwood HTs at work that started "throwing trash" on adjacent channels. It does happen.

With regard to the GOM syndrome, I've always got the impression that the guys who fall in that category (at least in the ham world) may not have anything else to occupy their time. To me, ham radio is just a hobby. I don't have any ham radio vest, badge or any of that other "cool" stuff. I don't belong to any clubs nor do I really associate with fellow hams outside of talking to them on the radio (nothing against it, I just don't) If things don't go my way, I don't break a sweat. I'll find something else to do. I can't do anything about the OM part, it's too late for that. But at least I have some control over the G part.

N8IAA

Okay, I'll bite............ what is a/an NOITALLYM ?
I am usually good up to 3 letters- 4 sometimes, but 9 ?!
Oh wow, that acronym knock'd me into the weeds ;)

If that's not enuff, I am still figuring out this new format- which I like, btw. I have founded out that I am not only a Heathen, buy also a Whiner (my choice of the dark screen display.)
Smashing !.... Makes me a GOW, No ? :giggle:

kNOw IT ALL You Mean............Could be this. :rolleyes:
Larry

k6cpo

The same holds (held) true with Apple vs PC or Canon vs Nikon.
And I certainly remember all the "harrumphs" that spewed from the GOMs living in their mothers' basements when no-code licensing was about the become a reality.

It's same in any endeavor. When I was riding motorcycles it was "You ain't **** unless you ride a Harley." In photography it was "You ain't **** unless you shoot with a Nikon." Now it's "You ain't **** unless you had to pass a 20 WPM code test."

The nice part is that it seems these attitudes are pretty much limited to online forums or on-the-air on HF (which I don't so a lot of.) all of the hams I've encountered face to face since being licensed are good people with welcoming attitudes

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's same in any endeavor. When I was riding motorcycles it was "You ain't **** unless you ride a Harley." In photography it was "You ain't **** unless you shoot with a Nikon." Now it's "You ain't **** unless you had to pass a 20 WPM code test."

And it's typically something that's no longer possible to achieve, permanently leaving you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.