• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

The gun issue

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker
Or is that the real phrase? Let me explain.

I was on my way out the back patio door ready to meet cigarette to lips when I overheard on the news about a man who was involved with that young reporter that was gunned down while they were doing a news report. Sorry about the lack of names. I just rolled my eyes at what I heard as I passed by the TV so I didn't catch the whole gist. But I heard this man who was in fact selling a book like everyone and their great uncle these days talk about gun violence. So pondering about this I came to the conclusion how it's easy for people to go after the gun because it doesn't require any thought or common sense or even basic logic. It's the gun, it's what killed that person and that's the source of the issue at hand and that's that. It's too easy to come to that conclusion and it requires no real thought.

So what is the root cause of gun violence? It's much deeper than one would think and probably never thought of it at all. I say it's the politician. And it stems on down to society where it culminates to the gun violence issues we have today. Here's just one way. Congress, as we all know spends and spends and spends. Meanwhile the deficit goes up and up thereby depreciating what the dollar is capable of buying. Making it hard to live. So both parents have to work and it's a catalyst for the degradation of the family structure, and because things are so expensive you have drug and crime issues. Or it's due to lack of proper mental health care or we can say this person was misdiagnosed and prescribed all this crap. I could go on with issues we have that culminate to gun violence. In a nutshell, the deterioration of society is at a political level. They are the one's capable of shaping and molding society. Chicago is a great microcosm to this idea. Chicago, as far as I know, doesn't allow you to even own a gun. Yet they have some of the worst gun violence in the world. Now why is that despite the so-called absence of not being able to own a gun? Well, they don't call it the windy city for nothing, and that moniker having other sources to its origin does in large part mean Chicago has windbags for politicians. And I'm sure there are in fact some common sense minded folks in Chicago that would agree the politician is the catalyst to what they face today and continue to face. From the school system and beyond.

Now the left of center people want to grab your gun whether it be for defense, sport or hunting, yet constantly talk about this so-called Nazi crap all the while it is them who are practicing a Nazi-like political philosophy. When one says they want to grab your gun, doesn't that sound totalitarian? Am I in the right country here?

In synopses, it's easy to go after the gun because it's easy to do and doesn't require any thought. But there are indeed deeper problems here and that's where the solution lies.

Chicago is a corrupt city. It has been for all of time. I have lived in Crook County. I cannot blame the Democratic party as there has not been a two party system there. Whoever runs will call themselves a Democrat.

As far as mental health. I have a freind who is an avid gun collector. He is as big on guns as I am with radios. I am not anti-gun, but they have no off switch and are as dangerous as a circular saw and I am not crazy about using those either. (I will say this, I am a pretty good aim with a pistol). Anyway this freind, liked to sing a ditty about his "can gun" and that ditty included every race that had 'can at the end of it, except White Ameri'can for some reason. So after a while I decided maybe he had a screw loose and with all that firepower I was not going to engage him in any political discussions, so I stopped calling on him. I worry to this day he might take that 'can gun out and shoot some xxxxxxx 'cans.

Back to the question of guns. The signers of the US Constitution were very intelligent people. If I could take a trip back in time, and ask, I am certain that they would not want guns in the hands of the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cakes. I think their words "well organized militia" had great import, and no doubt in those times, you could readily identify those reliable people that were able to be well organised into say a "posse" or militia and those "fruit cakes" that the sheriff might call on one night to take their guns for the good of the townspeople.

A solution might be enacting a law that to own a gun you must have $1,000,000 liability insurance. This would weed out a lot of the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases. The NRA could sell this insurance. They like to make money right?

A million dollar liability insurance is no big thing. I have to have it to run a business in case one of my clients gets a paper cut from a 200 page document.

Last edited:
With nearly one gun for every human in the US and possibly more, how do you enforce a new law like your proposing? Then you have the criminal element where they don't follow rules or obey laws. A well thought out law that can save lives, reduce crimes with guns and not infringe on rights would be nice, but how do you get everyone on board with compliance?

If you could reset the clock where there were no guns in the US, then lay down some laws before any were purchased, we might have the perfect scenario.

Chicago is a corrupt city. It has been for all of time. I have lived in Crook County. I cannot blame the Democratic party as there has not been a two party system there. Whoever runs will call themselves a Democrat.

As far as mental health. I have a freind who is an avid gun collector. He is as big on guns as I am with radios. I am not anti-gun, but they have no off switch and are as dangerous as a circular saw and I am not crazy about using those either. (I will say this, I am a pretty good aim with a pistol). Anyway this freind, liked to sing a ditty about his "can gun" and that ditty included every race that had 'can at the end of it, except White Ameri'can for some reason. So after a while I decided maybe he had a screw loose and with all that firepower I was not going to engage him in any political discussions, so I stopped calling on him. I worry to this day he might take that 'can gun out and shoot some xxxxxxx 'cans.

Back to the question of guns. The signers of the US Constitution were very intelligent people. If I could take a trip back in time, and ask, I am certain that they would not want guns in the hands of the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cakes. I think their words "well organized militia" had great import, and no doubt in those times, you could readily identify those reliable people that were able to be well organised into say a "posse" or militia and those "fruit cakes" that the sheriff might call on one night to take their guns for the good of the townspeople.

A solution might be enacting a law that to own a gun you must have $1,000,000 liability insurance. This would weed out a lot of the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases. The NRA could sell this insurance. They like to make money right?

A million dollar liability insurance is no big thing. I have to have it to run a business in case one of my clients gets a paper cut from a 200 page document.

With nearly one gun for every human in the US and possibly more, how do you enforce a new law like your proposing? Then you have the criminal element where they don't follow rules or obey laws. A well thought out law that can save lives, reduce crimes with guns and not infringe on rights would be nice, but how do you get everyone on board with compliance?

If you could reset the clock where there were no guns in the US, then lay down some laws before any were purchased, we might have the perfect scenario.
Hey I am with you on that. My wife would like them all to be collected and melted. I have to explain to her that there are mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases that would be shooting cops at the front door.

But there do need to be some tools to deal with the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases. I cannot drive a car without liability insurance. If I dont have it, its off to jail and in some cases they will seize the car. But you will have a larger subset of the population that will decide its not a good idea to take the car/gun out on the street.

I live in Florida where it is perfectly legal to shoot someone for making a "furtive motion". So I would like fewer mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases carrying a gun. If you have any idea how to keep the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases from carrying guns on the street I am all ears.

While typing this and spell checking furtive motion, I got a pop up telling me I could get a free .380 handgun. Aint amerika great!

I live in Florida where it is perfectly legal to shoot someone for making a "furtive motion". So I would like fewer mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases carrying a gun. If you have any idea how to keep the mentally impaired, drunks, wife beaters, thieves and fruit-cases from carrying guns on the street I am all ears.
For now, I'd settle for a rational well thought out and respectful discussion with gun owners about ideas to keep the guns from traveling from the good guys to the bad guys. But I've yet to see much indication that they are capable of a rational discussion on the subject. Prcguy's comments above are a very rare exception.

I still firmly believe the burden of finding a workable solution needs to come from gun owners themselves.
Very true. I am sure most of them are truly not comfortable with the criminal element being so well armed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker

You do realize this is rife for corrupt litigation, don't you?

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker

Do you propose we enact a law on knives, bats, hammers, etc as well?

Did you forget that there are a lot more good guys with guns?
The biggest single problem with guns is all the good guys with guns that cross over and become bad guys with guns. The second biggest problem is all the guns in the possession of good guys winding up in the possession of bad guys.

There. I summed it up in kindergarten terms that even you can understand. The good guys who want guns need to solve two problems. Ready, GO!

The biggest single problem with guns is all the good guys with guns that cross over and become bad guys with guns. The second biggest problem is all the guns in the possession of good guys winding up in the possession of bad guys.

There. I summed it up in kindergarten terms that even you can understand. The good guys who want guns need to solve two problems. Ready, GO!
We have had a couple of brand new gun stores open here in Central Florida that were burglarized within the first week of opening. The naive owners figure they can put all that firepower out on display without any physical security like burglar bars and a gun safe. The bad guys sweep right in.

No need to break into a pawn shop to steal CD players and iPads and make nothing. They know they can sell for list price plus selling to felons.

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker
There. I summed it up in kindergarten terms

You sure did, because that's what it is. It didn't require any intellectual thought, just go after the gun. That' your lame idea.

The good guys who want guns need to solve two problems. Ready, GO!

Already answered that in my opening. Can you read? It's a trickle down corruption problem that affects society.

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker
How so, by letting the NRA in one the action?

Do you not know about how the bad guy sues the good guy that used a gun on him? Or how the bad guy's family sued the good guy with a gun?

You're overly simplifying the problem. Besides, creating a forced insurance on those that own guns legally doesn't entice the bad guy to get asinine insurance.

You sure did, because that's what it is. It didn't require any intellectual thought, just go after the gun. That' your lame idea.
I didn't say a thing about going after the gun. I guess you don't even comprehend at a kindergarten level.

Already answered that in my opening. Can you read? It's a trickle down corruption problem that affects society.
Your rambling assigns blame, bit doesn't solve problems. You essentially blame the left, but the left isn't traditionally the source of easy to obtain weaponry. Not all gun violence is rooted in socioeconomic inequity. And not all people on the left want to take your guns.

The only point I've ever tried to make here is that gun owners need to create the solution, and conservatives generally stand on the way of any discussion of solutions, and create what amounts to a setup to fail.