• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The "InTenna" covert CB antenna by Microwave Filter Co. The unboxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPR1981

Sweeping that RG-58 would be interesting.

I have an MFJ antenna analyzer. I might do that just for poops and laughs.

This kit is in extremely good shape and has not been exposed to the elements. Do you think the coax is likely still stable?

And, upon studying the instructions, I am going to have to adapt the mounting procedure, so as not to land me in divorce court after drilling holes in my wife's beloved Honda Pilot. I may also swap out some of the original mounting gear with 3M Command stuff, as it is less likely to leave any "evidence" behind.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I've installed a lot of those things, maybe 30 or 40 of them. The larger the car the better and a Honda Pilot car body will not radiate as much as a Ford Excursion. You MUST ground the tuning box on one side of the window and you MUST ground the wire at the opposite side of the window. That's how the antenna works, its basically a gamma match across a large opening in sheet metal making a "slot antenna", and the circumference of the window opening and the skin of the vehicle becomes the antenna.

FPR1981

I've installed a lot of those things, maybe 30 or 40 of them. The larger the car the better and a Honda Pilot car body will not radiate as much as a Ford Excursion. You MUST ground the tuning box on one side of the window and you MUST ground the wire at the opposite side of the window. That's how the antenna works, its basically a gamma match across a large opening in sheet metal making a "slot antenna", and the circumference of the window opening and the skin of the vehicle becomes the antenna.

Any suggestions on identifying and utilizing ground points in the least intrusive manner possible?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I installed these in the mid 70s until the early 80s and cars were a bit simpler then. I would usually peel back the window rubber and headliner material around a window to inspect the sheet metal to see if its safe to drill then after drilling I would see how deep the hole is and if its safe to actually put the screw in. I would usually drill the hole with headliner material out of the way in case the hole was too shallow and I had to move further away from the window opening and hide the first hole. Some cars had very little space between the inside and outside sheet metal right at the window.

I would then mount the tuning box as close as possible to the window rubber and the same for the wire lug on the opposite side without cutting the wire yet. Then I would carefully determine the length of wire needed to make the wire taut across the window buy cutting and stripping the end, sticking the stripped end into the lug while its screwed down, then taking off the lug and soldering the wire in the lug with some heatshrink over the connection and finally screwing the lug with attached wire back down.

Sometimes I could loop the coax from the tuning box towards the rubber window seal and tuck it under the rubber until its off to the side and can take another route to the radio. These almost always went in a back window but I had to put a few in the front window per customer request. I also put some across big sliding windows in motor homes and campers.

Any suggestions on identifying and utilizing ground points in the least intrusive manner possible?

FPR1981

This recommends the front windshield.

Attachments

• received_4114148441953055.jpeg
    received_4114148441953055.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18

FPR1981

In my Accord, I can peel back the headliner and make contact with the metal body panel lip pretty easily. I'm going to do a temporary install at most, so as long as I can ground out for the demonstration I'm good

FPR1981

What about making use of a moon roof instead of the windshield

FPR1981

I scored myself a 1995 Chevy K1500 pickup with the Z71 package, a downright belligerent 350 with a 2-chamber Flowmaster and think this would be the perfect vehicle to put the InTenna to work in.

Could I install it in the back window?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've got one that adapts the stereo antenna for a CB. Doubt it would work on todays more "stubby" antennas, but have thought about using it on my Dodge Ram just for kicks.

FPR1981

I actually have three NIB Turner Signal Kicker disguise CB antennas that are a direct replacement for your AM/FM antenna, but made for CB. I am also going to test one soon.

slowmover

I scored myself a 1995 Chevy K1500 pickup with the Z71 package, a downright belligerent 350 with a 2-chamber Flowmaster and think this would be the perfect vehicle to put the InTenna to work in.

Could I install it in the back window?

Naw. Need a SIRIO BIG BULL L.E.D. Trucker Antenna.
Key up, and light ‘em up

Th
ats until you’ve got the green for a pair of QUAKE led triple-color cb antennas. Co-phase redneckin’ with a gennywine Bubba Fred old school splatterbox

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.