The Military Monitoring Wiki is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi all; first off, thanx to Lindsay who created this little for the milair folks.

For those that may not know it, we have a nice Military Monitoring wiki page that has numerous links that both the experienced milcommer and newcomer alike should find useful.

For example, we've got pages where you can find frequencies for some areas; mailing lists that are known to welcome military logs; scanner and receiver reviews, with links to other Wiki based pages, EHam and Strong Signals and a great deal more.

Please feel free to change the page around and add links (you have to register first!). The more links with good info we get, the more useful the wiki will become.

To get to it, simply click on the blue text. 73s and enjoy....Mike

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just noticed the new forum. I usually use the "New Posts" button, and I usually don't pay attention to which forum the thread is :)

Looks to be a good place for this sort of info....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FYI all - as soon as I can finish another project here, I'm going to split the Wiki down the middle and add a 3d category. It's become a bit too big, and it's a little hard to search for things. The amount of detail would be overwhelming to a newcomer.

The 3d category will be - SATCOM. All of you that are interested in this category are encouraged to gather your links. My background in this is shaky at best, so - as always - the more information we can glean on the subject, the better.

73s Mike

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Catagories

Any possibility you can setup sub-pages for these catagories:

Mid-air refuelling
UHF ARTCC Frequencies
Command Posts
Base Ops
Training Areas and Ranges
IR/VR/SR Training Routes
Military Demo Teams

I've finally figured out (slightly) this Wiki thing and I'd be glad to post info into the catagories. I don't want to take a swing at editing the entry page myself to create the sub pages as I'm afraid I'll screw it up.

Thanks! - Ted

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some interesting ideas, there, Ted - the UHF ARTCC freqs are covered on the ARTCC page, where both the VHF and UHF freqs are listed (altho as we've seen with the ATA100 discussion, a lot of cleanup is going to be necessary when that becomes the only source of milair information). Military demo teams are always covered by Grove's listing which is updated every year. However, it would be interesting if we could get a comprehensive listing of the other areas in question. CARMA does a great job of covering that area; I wish others would do likewise.

If you go ahead and subscribe to the wiki (free), you will be allocated a user area where you can make (or break) pages without harm to the original. There is also a quick guide to editing available on the main page, and I can show you some other tricks to help you along. I had been considering splitting the article that lists frequencies and mailing lists into seperate articles; perhaps this is a good impetus to get that done.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. Sorry it took so long to respond as work and other things have been distracting me a bit.

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I just wanted to add a little 'thank you' and a tip of the ole editor's cap to eorange, who has added some badly needed content to our Military Monitoring article. In addition, he's put together a nice introductory article on Hearing HF milcom Feel free to check 'em out, and if you have any additions, just jump right in. The more content we can add the more readable it becomes.

73s Mike

ChgoHam

Milcom Questions

At this time, I don't have the capability to do Milcom monitoring, but would like to.
This is a question I asked another group in the past, but many were very tight lipped, so i'll ask here.

What freq coverage would I need and which radios have it?

Are they terribly expensive to buy? Are they easily available on the market?

I'd like to have something with anywhere between 600 to 1000 channels if it's out there, so I can devote just that radio to Milcom and leave the other radios to other monitoring activities.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Many of the answers to your questions are covered in various sections of the wiki. No, they don't need to be terribly expensive - although many of the older scanners - such as the well regarded BC780 from Uniden, now out of production - only have 500 channels, you can even find a BC785 (which would fit your memory request) for well under USD400 if you look (I think I saw one recently for about USD350 or so). I have seen 780s for around USD200 - and if you add a good antenna and coax (say a ScanTenna) - assuming you don't have one now - that's certainly one way to go. The PRO-2055 RS I understand is also a good choice - aside from the display issues widely reported here and elsewhere. I also understand the new BCT15 from Uniden also performs well here, and it's not all that expensive, either.

Use the Wiki to do some basic research first. Watch the for sale forums here and places like Universal Radio (which often sells used equipment) and others. The link for the article is in the first message of the thread, in the blue text. Just click on it and away you go.

73s Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a FYI....
With the new 3.0 implementation, editing the wiki no longer needs a seperate login. If you have a link you think is useful, don't be shy about adding it!

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Liam please refrain from echoing the same message to multiple forums - it's not good practice. This message should go to our satellite forum.

73s Mike

Last edited:

FirefighterMC21

Premium Subscriber
A little bit of advice to any one who's looking to listen to anything ground related, IE. grunts training or out on convoy exercises then you need to look lower. Mainly in the low band, 45.0000mhz and below, 30.0000mhz is actually a big one for PT SF voice for grunts, due to the fact that the main radio used comes with that set as every channel in it and if they have a lazy COMM chief that won't write up a guard chart then that's what is used to avoid confusion between the radio operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.