The Official Thread: Live audio feeds, scanners, and... wait for it.. ENCRYPTION!

jj53191

Premium Subscriber
I heard that Fremont County, Colorado encrypted all their main dispatch talkgroups because they didn't want to be "live fed" on the internet. Looks like it worked...

I'm sure there are others...

I have to agree with you on that.
While in a lot of municipalities, it is illegal to monitor a scanner while in a vehicle.
The ratio of scanner owners to those that actually have the unit in their vehicle was probably not a big concern.
With almost everyone having a cell phone, The ability to monitor the live streaming of sensitive police radio while in a vehicle raises
concern for law enforcement.
Eventually, will make scanner listening a thing of the past and for the younger generation, a hobby that dad and grandpa used to enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with you on that.
While in a lot of municipalities, it is illegal monitor a scanner while in a vehicle.
The ratio of scanner owners to those that actually have the unit in their vehicle was probably not a big concern.
With almost everyone having a cell phone, The ability to monitor the live streaming of sensitive police radio while in a vehicle raises
concern for law enforcement.
Eventually, will make scanner listening a thing of the past and for the younger generation, a hobby that dad and grandpa used to enjoy.
:confused:

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
"Eventually, will make scanner listening a thing of the past and for the younger generation, a hobby that dad and grandpa used to enjoy."

Yep. The kinds today have their Citizen app tied into the the CAD systems of the local public safety dispatches, and their Ring and Nest camera networks for crowdsourced real-crime entertainment.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
My kids had some friends over and when the scanner went off they were puzzled why anyone would listen to that. They thought it was illegal and we were freaks.
That seems to be a common thought process. Often when I'm gaming or someone drops by I get the same questions. "Isnt it illegal to have that? Can you talk to them? Why would you want to hear cops? Are you doing something illegal?"

Okay admittedly the last one is usually asked by people online (that can hear the scanners via my headset) when I'm gaming but still. After a while I start replying with stupid answers like yeah I'm a huge deal in the underworld.

But seriously I hope something turns around. Seems a delay from real time for streaming apps would solve basically 98% of the issues but no one is willing to do it ...

ts548

I love encryption and all the systems I manage even down to MOTOTRBO systems that local businesses uses run encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Yep. The kinds today have their Citizen app tied into the the CAD systems of the local public safety dispatches, and their Ring and Nest camera networks for crowdsourced real-crime entertainment.

Hmmm, CAD integration you say........ Good idea ;)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am the only user (my fleet) on my areas MotoTRBO Connect Plus system, and only because I added enhanced privacy to all our radios...the Con+ admins just toss out radios with not even basic privacy enabled.

Paul

I love encryption and all the systems I manage even down to MOTOTRBO systems that local businesses uses run encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ande5

Premium Subscriber
Don,t know where in the user manual explain this, but if you try to use the discover mode and it don't "start" check the batteries, even if it is connected to the power...

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
I understand that attempting to decode or listening to encrypted transmissions is illegal but I am unable to find the law or general statue that says it is illegal. In other words what would you be charged with by decoding encrypted signals what agency would be the one to file charges?

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
Thank you com501 for the reply. I looked and did not see where it references encryption. Please point me it the right direction. I see that it established the FCC so would the FCC be the agency that would charge someone for listening to encrypted signals or would it be the local law enforcement?

ts548

Thank you com501 for the reply. I looked and did not see where it references encryption. Please point me it the right direction. I see that it established the FCC so would the FCC be the agency that would charge someone for listening to encrypted signals or would it be the local law enforcement?

I haven't really looked but along with Federal laws there are most likely state laws against it also.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The encryption law might as well fall under the same category as "illegal to travel at greater than the speed of light"...about as realistic a possibility as freely decrypting AES256 radio comms on the fly.

Paul

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Everybody needs to band together and start standing up to the elected officials if they allow encryption to continue.

Then advise them they can be replaced when re-election time rolls around.

If you squeeze a politician hard enough and wants to keep his/her elected position they will pretty much bow down to the tax payer to be

re-elected.

Just a thought to consider when re-election comes for politicians that support encryption.

David