• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

The proper way to pick out a PDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently looking at PDA. I found a couple but since I never bought or even got to use a PDA before, I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

First off, I'm not looking for a super-duper PDA that I can run an international business with, that costs like $1,000+. Though, I'm not in the market for one that by doing the following will slow down to a hog or just not work right:

I basically want:

1. Web/WiFi, this is a major want, to access RR and other sites
2. Media (not an iPod replacement) ex. for streaming Shoutcasts (Internet Scanners).
3. Enough memory to run and space to store a fair amount of applications but not an extreme amount.
4. I would really like to get a price of under $500.

I've been looking at the HP iPaq 111 and 211 because they are at my local store but after reading the web, some have said the speakers are not really loud which would make listening to Internet Shoutcasts a tad bit hard.

It's like every PDA you can possibly look at, someone negatively reviews it and it seems like every one I look at ends up having something wrong with it that would make my experiences not that great.

IMO PDAs are kinda going out of bussiness, everyone wants a "smartphone", Palm used to make alot and great ones too they only have 3 on the market now.

HP is going to be your best bet, they also make one that has GPS and Wifi for under $600 IPAQ RX5915

Asus also makes a few, with GPS and Wifi

But you better hurry before Apple takes over the world:roll:

Heres a link to some you might want to look at
http://www.pcmag.com/products/0,,tq...start=0&sort=articledate&dir=desc&stpdinglp=1

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:
IMO PDAs are kinda going out of bussiness, everyone wants a "smartphone", Palm used to make alot and great ones too they only have 3 on the market now.
I must be one of the only people in that does not carry a cell phone or have one. LoL. My life I feel is busy enough with college. I'm not phone guy to begin with.

Are there no more guys like me around? LoL.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I think the best PDA's available today are the Nokia N810, and N800.

I don't use a PDA myself. I've tried several over the years, and resorted to carrying a few index cards in my shirt pocket with a pen. No batteries to charge, no problem in airports, immune to nuclear electro-magnetic shock! :cool:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I think the best PDA's available today are the Nokia N810, and N800.
I was looking at both of these, but I wasn't really sure about how great the application support for them would be. For the Pocket PC I see tons and tons of applications, just like regular Windows. I don't seem to see as much for the Nokia's.

Edit: Now that I look at the N810 again, I may go with that. It's Linux (shouldn't be bad for people to make ports) and it's got GPS, is made for Internet calling (so speakers are probably ok) and more. Just wondering about third-partys apps still.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
When you really start getting into applications for PDA's, you'll find most of them are just novelties and have no real life use.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Yes

GreatLakes said:
When you really start getting into applications for PDA's, you'll find most of them are just novelties and have no real life use.
Yes, I've already noticed that, but it's still nice to have more applications if you don't have to pay more, LoL.

I read that if you want the N810, to really use the GPS, you need to pay $130 for a software upgrade?

EDIT: I think that it's now between the N800 or the HP iPaq 111.

Anyone care to fight as to why not to get either or why to get either?

Last edited:

jpryor

Premium Subscriber
I'll vouch for the Nokia internet tablets. I have the older Nokia 770 model. The best feature of these tablets is the wide screen that allows you to view web pages at a full 800 pixels wide. This provides a decent experience that is more like browsing with a computer as opposed to something with a smaller screen (needing to use a mobile version of a website or just not working very well). Also if you're in to software tweaking and such, the open Linux platform of the Nokia series means plenty of grass roots support and open/free software for download. With a simple bluetooth GPS and free software, you can get basic GPS mapping functionality (and it will pull images from Google Maps, etc). I also use my tablet for listening to live streams and audio is decent, plus a normal head phone jack works well for ear buds. They also have memory card slots for holding additional media, MP3s, general storage, etc.

The following site is a good place to look around for more information on the internet tablets: http://www.internettablettalk.com/

Keep in mind that it is an internet tablet and not really a PDA or MP3 player, but depending on the features you need, it can probably do what you're looking for. The built in Wifi works well, and you can tether to a phone via Bluetooth as well. Also Bluetooth keyboards and other accessories can help if you're wanting to do more chatting, emailing and blogging with the device.

My Nokia 770 does work great as a secondary device. I also have an AT&T Windows Mobile smart phone that has it's own benefits and downsides. But together that make a pretty good pair.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I see

If I get the Nokia N810, can I use free software for the GPS or do I still have to pay $130 more or else?

I wouldn't mind GPS but I feel if I'm going to pay like $400 for the device it self, I don't care to pay another $130, especially just for some software.

If I can't have GPS, I'm fine with just the N800.

Any real advantage other than GPS to getting the N810?

jpryor

Premium Subscriber
The free "Maemo Mapper" software will work with all of the Nokia tablets, see the following for more details:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2006/maemo-mapper/

Also on the N810, I believe the integrated GPS can be used with the built in software to some extent. The optional subscription to the Wayfinder Maps application is for enhanced mobile navigation like routing and such that a real mobile GPS would offer.

So besides the integrated GPS, the N810 also has the slide out full QWERTY keyboard, an integrated web camera, as well as more memory. Considering what you'd need to pay for external/bluetooth optional accessories to get that functionality with the N800, the N810 with all it's integrated components looks tempting.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I see

jpryor said:
The free "Maemo Mapper" software will work with all of the Nokia tablets, see the following for more details:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2006/maemo-mapper/

Also on the N810, I believe the integrated GPS can be used with the built in software to some extent. The optional subscription to the Wayfinder Maps application is for enhanced mobile navigation like routing and such that a real mobile GPS would offer.

So besides the integrated GPS, the N810 also has the slide out full QWERTY keyboard, an integrated web camera, as well as more memory. Considering what you'd need to pay for external/bluetooth optional accessories to get that functionality with the N800, the N810 with all it's integrated components looks tempting.
Well I just mainly would like a program that would just do basic GPS. I just basically want something that will tell me how to get from Point A to Point B.

I would like the GPS "talk" like Turn Left or Right. I will have to look at Maemo Mapper and see what all it can do.

I don't need an extreme GPS, but I would like something that when I go to places like Atlantic City, NJ and New York, NY. I can much easier find things.

I don't normally have a huge problem finding things in NYC, except if I'm on 45th, I know you walk up one street to go to 46th, but it seems so easily to accidental walk the wrong direction and go to 44th. Same with aves basically.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Again

I just got my Nokia Internet Tablet N810 on Thursday and I absolutely love it.

It literally feels like a laptop in your hand because anything I can do on my laptop I can really do on my N810, except like put a DVD in it or something like that.

Anyway, I currently have a Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB that I got from Circuit City with an extra 2 year protection plan. They will most likely be giving me a gift certificate back, so I will have $200 to play with at Circuit City.

I was kinda looking at the iPod Touch, but it doesn't appear to do Divx/Xvid, which most of my videos are encoded in. Though having WiFi in it seems like it would be cool to have, yet I have my N810, so perhaps it would be silly to get it because of that.

So if you already had the N810, would you just get another Zen, iPod Video, or go for the iPod touch?

EDIT: Due to the price and being that I already have the Internet in my pocket (N810), I think it would make more sense to just get the $200, pay a little extra, and get the iPod 160GB. I would rather have more size for music and videos, that have useless features (useless to me) like, I don't believe I need a touch screen to just play music and videos, plus I probably wouldn't really use it for the net, because I would be busy using my N810 most of the time.

EDIT 2: Looks like the Creative Zen Vision:M is discontinued so I guess I almost have to go with the iPod if I want to go to a bigger size than 60GB.

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
How is the iPaq with sound?

I have tried out my N810 and am fairly dissatisfied because the sound is very low when using headphones, which is confirmed by many others all over the net.

All I want to do is this:

1. Play Shoutcast streams
2. Play Streaming media like the Listen Now's on local radio station's websites
3. Browse the web, check email, and do basic Internet stuff
4. Do remote connections like VNC
5. Not truly necessarily but would be cool to have YouTube if I feel like it sometime

I'm looking at the HP Ipaq 111
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=778633

Though it doesn't tell you how good the speakers are and if it's loud though the headphones.

NOTE: I don't wish to blow my ear drums out but I wish to be able to hear the thing when I'm in somewhat noisy areas like on the public buses when everyone is talking and at the bus station when all the buses are making noise.

I have an Ipaq, and love the thing. It's capable of doing all you're asking it to do, but not necessarily well. There's a lot packed into it, so some sacrifices have to be made. Audio power is one. They SOUND ok through headphones, but my Creative Zen is much more satisfying to listen to. The screen is small so, while it plays video, it's much more satisfying on the laptop. It'll hook to the internet, but it's with a pretty crippled browser that's of limited use.

So, you really need to ask yourself why you need one. As a multimedia device, you can do much better. As a means of taking MS Office documents and spreadsheets where ever you go, they're great. I have some spreadsheets that I use to do some engineering calculations, like microwave path design, that I can take on a job walk with me, and do some preliminary calculations right on the spot. I can take notes, record sound files, and sync everything with my desk top. I don't, and won't, depend on it as a multimedia device for entertainment, because in that application, it sucks.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I see....

zz0468 said:
I have an Ipaq, and love the thing. It's capable of doing all you're asking it to do, but not necessarily well. There's a lot packed into it, so some sacrifices have to be made. Audio power is one. They SOUND ok through headphones, but my Creative Zen is much more satisfying to listen to. The screen is small so, while it plays video, it's much more satisfying on the laptop. It'll hook to the internet, but it's with a pretty crippled browser that's of limited use.

So, you really need to ask yourself why you need one. As a multimedia device, you can do much better. As a means of taking MS Office documents and spreadsheets where ever you go, they're great. I have some spreadsheets that I use to do some engineering calculations, like microwave path design, that I can take on a job walk with me, and do some preliminary calculations right on the spot. I can take notes, record sound files, and sync everything with my desk top. I don't, and won't, depend on it as a multimedia device for entertainment, because in that application, it sucks.
I'm glad that I asked before getting one because I'm a real big multimedia guy, so they could not be a real great option for me.

I did noticed though the that N810 (Nokia Internet Tablet) does work pretty darn good for video/multimedia. While you may really get no storage for video/music, you can do streaming media like YouTube, Shoutcast, and even those "Listen Now"'s that are on radio websites that normally popup in another window.

The only big disappointment with the N810 so far is the volume through the headphones. It's really strange because you can hear the volume perfectly through the speakers, not quiet as loud as a portable boombox but enough to hear like a walkman with a speaker. Yet you plug in the headphones and it's like someone is whispering or something for some stuff.

Some people on the net claim that the headphones thing can be fixed with software, but I ended up taking my N810 back for now, because I didn't think it really could be fixed, but I'm not mad I took it back, because I can just wait until the next OS comes out and see if they actually fix it and being that a new N810 or N830 is coming out with WinMax, the price probably will drop down somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.