The sound capturing device is not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtodd76

Feed Provider
I've been using ScannerCast with Windows 10 for a few weeks not without any trouble. Recently, Windows 10 did some updates and when the computer restarted, I'm getting this message when running ScannerCast: "The sound capturing device is not ready. Is Primary Sound Capture Driver Plugged in?" I haven't made any changes and I'm using the latest version of ScannerCast. I've even tried downloading and installing the Radio Feed software and getting a similar error. I've also checked for driver updates and there aren't any available. Not sure where to go from here. When I click on Stop Broadcast, I get an unhandled exception by .NET Framework.
I've been down for almost a week and would like to resolve this asap.
Hope someone else can help.

Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I've been using ScannerCast with Windows 10 for a few weeks not without any trouble. Recently, Windows 10 did some updates and when the computer restarted, I'm getting this message when running ScannerCast: "The sound capturing device is not ready. Is Primary Sound Capture Driver Plugged in?" I haven't made any changes and I'm using the latest version of ScannerCast. I've even tried downloading and installing the Radio Feed software and getting a similar error. I've also checked for driver updates and there aren't any available. Not sure where to go from here. When I click on Stop Broadcast, I get an unhandled exception by .NET Framework.
I've been down for almost a week and would like to resolve this asap.
Hope someone else can help.

Thanks

Windows Update 1803 broke a few things. There are fixes out there involving editing the registry. You may want to google it. A simply fix if you have a line or mic level cable plugged into a port, Windows will think it's a speaker cable. Simply unplug and replug the cable in and Windows will prompt you for the type of cable you plugged in.

jtodd76

Feed Provider
Thanks for your response, Bob...
Can you elaborate on your comment about if I have a line or mic level cable part? I've unplugged it several times and even tried plugging into the mic instead of the line in. Seems like I get a message asking me what I plugged in and I respond properly. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by line or mic level cable? You're definitely right about that particular update (Windows feature update 1803). I'm positive that's the update that caused this problem.

jtodd76

Feed Provider
Okay...I did some more research with your guidance around the 1803 update. I found a few pages referring to this particular update messing with microphone settings and not allowing apps to access the microphone. The steps I took:
In order to get around this issue, it's recommended to enable the microphone in your Privacy settings using these steps:

1.) Open Settings.
2.) Click on Privacy.
3.) Click on Microphone.
4.) Turn on "Allow apps to access your microphone toggle switch."

This seems to work for now. I hope this information will help others that may come across this issue.

Thanks again for your guidance, Bob. You pointed me in the right direction to find the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.