The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ahh an interop event thing. That is cool. Go ahead and sub it and I will get it worked in... Leaning towards new cat: Federal, Listing as Great Smokey Mountains National Park , Event Command Interop???

trumpetman

Database Admin
Talkgroup 11667 sounds like Great Smoky Mountains Park Rangers testing the system. Few spots were not too good, but for the most part sounded good. Heard unit numbers 609 and 611 and they were all in areas of the Park. They were also talking about how much better this system was in coverage, especially in areas where they couldn't transmit or receive on the 400 system. All transmissions were off the Look Rock tower site.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Never count on anyone to have the proper name for equipment. I've spoke to many a public safety person who called their Minitors "300s", a different county who's "400 system" has been VHF forever, and two separate occasions where the second radio in a car with the private BS channel was called "the low-band" even though it was a VHF P25 simplex channel in one case and a new 800 radio with a dedicated talkgroup for their FD in the other scenario.

Interesting find though, will have to keep an ear on the NPS VHF system more and see if they reference new radios or channels during incidents.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Never count on anyone to have the proper name for equipment. I've spoke to many a public safety person who called their Minitors "300s", a different county who's "400 system" has been VHF forever, and two separate occasions where the second radio in a car with the private BS channel was called "the low-band" even though it was a VHF P25 simplex channel in one case and a new 800 radio with a dedicated talkgroup for their FD in the other scenario.

Interesting find though, will have to keep an ear on the NPS VHF system more and see if they reference new radios or channels during incidents.
Surprised if they don't have interop on VIPER too
Along with BRP.

N2AL

...and two separate occasions where the second radio in a car with the private BS channel was called "the low-band" even though it was a VHF P25 simplex channel...

It’s all fun and games until your agency switches from VHF low-band 40 MHz to the TACN System, your dispatcher sounds and acts like the Wicked Witch of the West, and two, let’s call them units for the purpose of anonymity, switch to the new Car-to-Car talk group and make snide and cursory comments about her behavior.

Oh yeah I almost forgot the best part of this story. Unlike the old low-band Car-to-Car simplex channel, this new one is encrypted, is on the trunked system, AND DISPATCH HAS IT ON THEIR CONSOLES FOR DISPATCH AND FIELD UNITS TO COMMUNICATE! The rude dispatcher replied, “Dispatch copies boys, you’re loud and clear!” That was an “uh-oh” moment for sure. Let’s just say it became a bad day for those two guys, and they got every crap call dispatch could drum up.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Guys calm down, its changing over the rest of this year to NOT ONLY TDMA.. but get yer big boy/girl britches on, Full time strapped ADP Encryption. That's official, ALL THP is going dark over the next six months. By January 2020, they will be a memory. Some of the radios are now using TDMA, but some are still FDMA. The WHOLE system is using Dual Dynamic Mode... DO a little research on this and you will see why you will still see FDMA use for a bit longer. After THP finishes its conversion to TDMA E, the other State Agencies will begin switch to TDMA only. ALL users must begin transition to TDMA only beginning now. Only special use will be granted FDMA usage. No new users on TACN will be allowed FDMA except special use waivers. Again, the entire system is using Dual Dynamic Mode, so you will see FDMA use pop up until all users no longer have FDMA use. THP announced at the onset they were going to be fully E. We got lucky they only implemented this on some TG's... Now, they are flipping the rest over.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Ahh an interop event thing. That is cool. Go ahead and sub it and I will get it worked in... Leaning towards new cat: Federal, Listing as Great Smokey Mountains National Park , Event Command Interop???
Yep, I will when I get home. They are fairly active on testing it. Heard some more today, but nothing major.
Just make sure you leave the "e" out of Smoky when you do the db update. Lol.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
As far as I have heard, ONLY THP, and good chance of TWRA is going fully E (TWRA LE has already shown us what they are going to do with extensive use of ADP already,). TDOT Help, and the rest of TDOT (once they drag themselves on) should be remaining Clear. TEMA Clear...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
You mean you are near to an VHF TACN site. :) Still you hear them P25 for now and pretty soon will not anymore. It was cool being able to hear full THP comms on TACN while they lasted.

N2AL

I can not type here what provoked the change.

I thought it was a change in the command staff and administration. Scuttlebutt I heard years ago was certain people wanted to hear the radio traffic who were not affiliated with THP. I would say some type of trooper safety concern may have played a part in the change.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Officer Safety is not any reason when you already have MULTIPLE encrypted TG's you use for sensitive information. Its someone with suit and tie that decides they do not want what they do in Tennessee known by someone in California. Same thing that happened in Sullivan County, Knox, Williamson, is happening in Davidson as the eventual transition to TACN is set up. But as is fact, THP originally was going to be full E from the get go, so the couple of years we got to hear them was nice.

zachgallop

So question regarding Anderson county. Someone has submitted 8519 as Sheriff Dispatch. ACSO continues to use Ops 1 as always as dispatch. Ops1 is dispatch to my belief and 8519 is not ACSO dispatch. Never even seen it pop up and I listen to ACSO regularly. Can anyone confirm? From my Facebook messages with they said OPS1 is their only clear talkgroup and the rest are encrypted. To my belief the others are also strapped with encryption. But need to confirm.

Sburchf1

I’m picking up 15062 on the Windrock tower in Anderson County loud and clear, but I don’t see it identified in the database. Sounds like law enforcement. Haven’t heard anything like a traffic stop, and earlier someone repeated something like “return to the clinic before the yard shuts down” a few times. Haven’t heard any street names referenced at all.