The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Okay, need info on a couple of sites y'all. I need the Proper Site Numbers, CC, ACC, NAC's etc for the Washington County Simulcasts. We have no data on any of those 3. In fact, by the FCC listing they are stand alone sites NOT simulcasts. So needing to get these fixed ASAP.

zachgallop

Today on Roosevelt Mountain I received a unknown talk-group (8022). Sounded like Roane County Animal Control. “More traps set over here on pine crest, from the sounds of it there is two adult cats and like three 6 week old kittens. We told them that there is probably a real good chance we are not going to be able to trap them kittens”. “The kittens feral?” “I don’t know I guess they are feral cats they are right about 6 weeks old right around the time they can be tamed down but again if they are six weeks old even if they are six weeks old I do not know if they are big enough to set the trap off.” Will submit it!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
OKAY ONE MORE TIME... There are a few of you that don't get it yet, so here you go:

ALL users of the Knox Simulcast are getting APX radios, and all the now discontinued XTS/XTL radios are going away. The codeplug is pure TDMA (Phase II) in all the new radios. The SYSTEM is using Dual Dynamic Mode, which means you will see FDMA (Phase I) TG's in use sometimes. This will change once everyone has the new APX'es. KFD, and KPD do still have a few of the old XTS HT's, and XTL Mobiles in use. These are being exchanged as fast as possible for the APX family of radios. Once all the OLD radios are gone, there will not be any FDMA on the Knox County, or Knoxville TG's. The entire TACN is slowly transitioning to PURE TDMA use. Until every user systemwide has radios that will do TDMA, you will see FDMA popping up in use. No new users are being allowed to use FDMA except in the case of mutual aid or special use waivers.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Any source you can divulge similar to the SAFE-T website in IN?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I get bits of the Knox "fleetmap" at a time, and if I can find the link to the announcement from TACN that they were going all TDMA and no new FDMA I will post it. Both MSWIN and TACN are at this phase. TACN moving to it faster than MSWIN though lol. SAFE-T is still a bit off from even starting to flip a few sites and test TDMA.

zachgallop

For the THP encryption inquiries, I have recently notified a few state media agencies. Some of us emailed Colonel Stewart and the LT. Miller (statewide PIO) way before doing this, they never responded to the inquiry if they were encrypting. That is their right not to respond. So we felt it might be better for the media to try to get answers. Hopefully it will help to confirm their plans even further!

K2NWC

Premium Subscriber
@buddrousa technical question for you on the encryption piece... Is it possible for the TACN admins to enforce encryption on station-to-station calls (what is referred to as "Private Calls" in the MOTOTRBO world)? As we all know, our LEOs in Washington County/Johnson City decided to encrypt all of their talkgroups some time ago, but I just picked up my scanner for the first time in months and heard two of them on a "private call" completely in the clear. Definitely discussing things that had a genuine need to be encrypted - and I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of the blanket encryption on the primary dispatch channels...

I guess my point is that I'm not sure that encrypting all the talkgroups isn't going to create a false sense of security if it's not possible to also encrypt the "private calls" between two individual radios on the network. "Oh crap! I thought you said EVERYTHING was encrypted!"

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack, but from my knowledge on this... If I recall there is a way to put encryption on I-Calls as they are known (Individual Calls) or Selective Calling (Sel - Calls) which are only one radio to another and NOT shared on any other radios on the system. I have never seen it in use yet, but I am pretty sure you can on P25, just as you can on DMR (MotoTRBO). I believe that its up to each user to set it up for the I-Calls, its not an global radio setting like Talk Groups which can be strapped (Locked) to use encryption, or set to user selectable encryption. Most Public Safety set ups do not use the I-Call features very often at all as it takes up frequencies that could be being used for more important calls. Most Public Safety Agencies usually just use a Talk Around, or Talk, or Car to Car TG for this. If your talking about PSAP to PSAP or Console to Console calling, that can be set just like regular Talk Groups, or if your doing it from one system to another, then you just roll on an ISSI grouping. It sounds like the WashCo/JC folks need to learn to use cell phones or the Car to Car TG's for this or get trained on how I-Calls work. EDIT: You can do a global secure, individual TG selectable, or individual TG strapping for encryption. But a full global encryption would also have the mutual aid 700 MHz, 800 MHz conventional encrypted which is not allowed unless you don't care about nationwide standards for interop.

Last edited by a moderator:

K2NWC

Premium Subscriber
@milf great info, and that absolutely makes sense on the mutual aid. Completely agree on the cell phones, too. Thanks for the clarification & explanation.

I was a pretty avid listener before encryption was enabled on the primary talkgroups. In the ~3 years that I routinely monitored, I probably heard maybe a total of five I-calls... and 100% of those were the same WCSO Lt. Yesterday was the first time I've turned my scanner on in maybe a year or more, and have already heard three I-calls - all with different radio IDs / users. Only one of them very much needed to go to the cell phones, but it's definitely interesting to hear almost as many I-calls in about 24 hours as I heard over a period of years in the past.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
@buddrousa technical question for you on the encryption piece... Is it possible for the TACN admins to enforce encryption on station-to-station calls (what is referred to as "Private Calls" in the MOTOTRBO world)? As we all know, our LEOs in Washington County/Johnson City decided to encrypt all of their talkgroups some time ago, but I just picked up my scanner for the first time in months and heard two of them on a "private call" completely in the clear. Definitely discussing things that had a genuine need to be encrypted - and I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of the blanket encryption on the primary dispatch channels...

I guess my point is that I'm not sure that encrypting all the talkgroups isn't going to create a false sense of security if it's not possible to also encrypt the "private calls" between two individual radios on the network. "Oh crap! I thought you said EVERYTHING was encrypted!"
On the TACN P25 system it is 100% up to each agency but the choice is 100% ENCRYPTED or NONE per channel not user selectable.
As far as MOTOTRBO the TACN has no say so in your local non TACN radio system. Milf explained the other and it should be addressed as milf stated.

zachgallop

So I was within range of the Pigeon Forge Pine Mountain P25 site today, it has apparently not been changed into a TACN site. It is still up ad running but no traffic on it. The site id and other info indicate they did not change it into tacn. Pigeon forge PD primary radio site must be greentop. Wonder if they will later add Pine mountain to TACN, Have that system as backup, or shut it down?

Last edited: