the SWLing Post Review of the CommRadio CTX-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Seems like a pretty honest review - I appreciate that as a former CR1A rx owner.

I wonder if the 3-cell li-ion pack is intelligently charging each cell individually, rather than taking a "pack" approach? Li-ion battery balancing and individual cell monitoring is very important when using multiple cells. Just placing them in parallel does not automatically balance them. It's a safety thing.

I guess if I had one and didn't know the answer, I'd first charge them in an intelligent 3rd party charger, like an Opus BT-C3100 or equivalent. I'd be impressed if the CTX-10 truly did individual cell charging / low voltage monitoring.

Of course now that this has bandpass filters, and other improvements, I might be interested in a rx-only version again.

But rather than go over the review line by line, I'd just say the reviewer seemed to be on the level.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Seems very expensive for what you get vs. other choices out there.
it sure does. i have the cr1A and love it. dont think i would purchase this one though. great to have an american company though. golden, CO. been there!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Seems like a pretty honest review - I appreciate that as a former CR1A rx owner.

I wonder if the 3-cell li-ion pack is intelligently charging each cell individually, rather than taking a "pack" approach? Li-ion battery balancing and individual cell monitoring is very important when using multiple cells. Just placing them in parallel does not automatically balance them. It's a safety thing.

I guess if I had one and didn't know the answer, I'd first charge them in an intelligent 3rd party charger, like an Opus BT-C3100 or equivalent. I'd be impressed if the CTX-10 truly did individual cell charging / low voltage monitoring.

Of course now that this has bandpass filters, and other improvements, I might be interested in a rx-only version again.

But rather than go over the review line by line, I'd just say the reviewer seemed to be on the level.
What I would like to know is after it is plug'ed in to a power source will it over charge the battery pack.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It is pretty expensive; but it seems to be almost tailor made for running digital, like PSK31 or even FT8. Not having a 2nd VFO for running splits and no break-in isn't really a concern when doing digital modes..;..Mike

slicerwizard

Laptop batteries have used paralleled cells for years. No individual cell monitoring in a six or nine cell laptop battery. No significant safety issues either.

WB2KTG

The battery pack consists of three #18650 Lithium ion batteries in series, not parallel. Each battery has its own internal charge controller which protects the battery from reverse polarity or discharging too low. Additionally, the CTX-10 has a Analog Devices LTC4020 very smart buck/boost charge controller which handles all the rest of the charging functionality. The batteries are well managed to insure maximum life and best performance. LTC4020 Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.