The Ultimate scanner by Bill Cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwylie

A few years ago I purchased this book and I first thought it was a book on frequency information!!!!

Boy was I ever wrong. What this book teaches is to how to modify old scanners from radio shack.

What is your thought?

ecps92

Great book if you own one those legacy [Famous, Awesome and still running] scanners. Bill was the master of Modifications.

A few years ago I purchased this book and I first thought it was a book on frequency information!!!!

Boy was I ever wrong. What this book teaches is to how to modify old scanners from radio shack.

What is your thought?

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Bill's first two books were the better of the three book series. You can still pick them up on Amazon, Scanner Modification Handbook and Scanner Modification Handbook Vol 2. I put together several of the mods from these two books, center tuning meter, signal strength meter, 6400 memory mod. It was a lot of fun to do back in the day. Most of the material from the books were written from his monthly newsletter called "World Scanner Report". These aren't available anywhere as far as I know. I only have three years of worth, I think there were seven years total, and they're only hard copies. I've been wanting to digitalize them, but it's too much work.

The third book was geared more towards his computer interface. I bought one of the early kits from him in the early 90's, referred to as the HB232 at the time. It was really nothing more then a glorified keypad emulator. However, it was very handy to use when there was nothing else out there that could auto-program your scanner.

If you're interested, there is a post from earlier this year by someone that had some circuit boards made up from the book's interface plans.

edit: BTW, I don't think "Off Topic Wireless" is the correct section for this post... just sayin, in case it gets moved, or not...

Last edited:

rbm

I did quite a number of those modifications to my PRO-2006's.
They worked as advertised.

At one time I had 10 PRO-2006's with the CE-232 installed. Until a lightning hit took out most of them.
I wrote a few of the script files for Bill back around 1996.
One of them allowed you to link multiple search ranges which until then just couldn't be done easily.

Rich

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
I keep forgetting how useful the scripting really was. There hasn't been anything quite like it to this day.

rbm

I keep forgetting how useful the scripting really was. There hasn't been anything quite like it to this day.

Yes, the syntax was simple enough and you could find a way to do almost anything you wanted.

Here's a sample script file that linked three different search ranges. (In txt format so it would upload here)

Rich

Attachments

• LINKxyz.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.