Kenwood: THF6A poor reception and quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a TH-F6A and it sounds a little better than yours on the NOAA weather radio broadcast.

The speaker in this radio is very small. I would not expect it to have audio as good as the Motorola.

If the radio is new, take it back to the dealer.

mbezzlr

Thanks for the feedback.

It's not the sound of the speaker I'm concerned about. It's really just the poor reception -> static. I sent an email to Kenwood. I'll get their take on it and report back.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This was the main reason I sold my last F6A about 5 years ago. It's a great HT but dated design and very low audio output. On walks through town, I had to hold it directly to my ear at full volume just to carry on a conversation.

I replaced it with a VX-6 and didn't regret it. In addition to MUCH MUCH more AF on RX, the AF is also CLEARER. You gain a waterproof and much more robust housing, but lose twin RX and 5 watts on 220, for my needs the trade off was worth it. And the VX-6 is still made in Japan, even the one I just bought last month.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Which VFO were you using, on the F6? I have noticed some minor differences between the A and the B sides.

Do you have the FM mode for wide or narrow?

Sent via Tapatalk

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I am interested to see where this goes. I have one of the very early F6As and I marvel at how good a receiver it has in it. On the B VFO, it will overload more so than the A VFO, but all in all, compared to both ham and scanner radios I have, the F6A, with a decent antenna, is quite a good receiver.

mbezzlr

I was using the B VFO since that is where the "Info" channels default to. So I tested it out on the A VFO. The signal is definitely stronger (goes from a 5 to 9 on the S meter), but there is still a good deal of noise coming through, unlike the Motorola. I would say it is similar to the Wouxun, but still a little worse. And there is a higher pitch whine that comes through on NOAA 3 that makes it particularly irritating. I'm pretty bummed that the receiver isn't better. There are a lot of features I really like in this HT. Still waiting to hear something from Kenwood.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I was using the B VFO since that is where the "Info" channels default to. So I tested it out on the A VFO. The signal is definitely stronger (goes from a 5 to 9 on the S meter), but there is still a good deal of noise coming through, unlike the Motorola. I would say it is similar to the Wouxun, but still a little worse. And there is a higher pitch whine that comes through on NOAA 3 that makes it particularly irritating. I'm pretty bummed that the receiver isn't better. There are a lot of features I really like in this HT. Still waiting to hear something from Kenwood.

I wonder you are running into an desense situation, similar to the GRE designed scanners.

Sent via Tapatalk

mbezzlr

Krokus: I have no idea what that means. I suppose I can ask google.

Well, I switched to band A. That brought some improvement. Narrow banding doesn't seem to make a difference other than raising the overall volume level.

I took another video to show how it sounds on band A. Kenwood tech support just gave me tips on receiving radio stations, which I've found I can actually do with great success. I just had to set the mode to WFM.

Still not sure if all this static is the norm for this HT.

New vid: http://youtu.be/Sud2LvUTMMA

Thanks for feedback/participation!

nanZor

Hello mbezzler -

I have all three of those radios myself and am familiar with what you are experiencing, especially if you have never heard the THF6A before purchase. When I saw the video, I knew immediately. :)

Thing is, it is not a defect, and can be a bit psychological if coming down the chain from a commercial Motorola > Wouxon > tiny Kenwood.

First thing though - make sure that when you are listening to NOAA that you have it set for WIDE. If you push [menu] and scroll to #29, you can change it there even while monitoring to hear the difference. You may also want to change your am internal antenna settings to the external or bar antenna depending.

To be fair - make sure the Wouxon is also in WIDE mode listening to NOAA, otherwise you'll be giving it an unfair "punchy" boost in narrow.

Even if that doesn't make a huge difference for you, just consider that amateur radio audio output has never been exemplary like the Motorolas. Even so, when I heard my first Wouxon, I was blown away at how good it was compared to most amateur gear, especially from the 90's onwards, when speakers got to be about the size of your thumb! Even high-end scanners pretty much suck after hearing a moto or even a wouxon.

Guess what - if you don't like this, you won't like Kenwood's top of the line TH-D7 either. And Kenwood is regarded as the king for good audio quality.

Thing is, you'll want to pick function over sound if that is important to you since we are almost at an apples-to-oranges comparison:

Only the F6 does HF and is basically a dc-daylight rig in the palm of your hand. Pretty amazing really when you consider all the bandpass filtering that goes on just to be sure the amateur bands work ok - that being it's primary purpose. But because of the extremely small size, compromizes had to be made, and I'm amazed it doesn't just fold up and cry in my own rf-dense environment. I wish it sounded as good as a Wouxon, but alas.

The Wouxon while sounding good has really poor image rejection. Some users may not notice it, but if you are above about 480mhz, you'll get swamped by images if T-Band uhf comms are active in your area. Kind of disappointing when unlike the dc-daylight F6, this one only has to cover basically the common vhf and uhf bands. You've noted the simple S-meter. It also makes a pretty poor scanner with no nuisance-delete either. Still, I own two or three models and pretend that the images aren't there. :)

Basically what I'm saying here is that before you get too disappointed with the Kenwood, see if the functions are more important than the audio. For example, I think I'd rather have the Kenwood with me than the Motorola for a bug-out bag or day in the park where my monitoring interests are all over the place. And oh yeah, neither the Wouxon or Moto does airband am monitoring (118-136mhz) - one of my prime interests!

But I would totally understand if you returned the Kenwood due to the audio - it isn't a defect, they just aren't designed for sound the way the Motorolas or even amateur radios from decades past used to be. Then again, in decades past, good sounding handheld radios tended to be huge "bricks" which would pull your pants down in a minute. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mbezzlr

Hertzian,
Thanks for your reply! That's what I needed to know. Honestly, I don't really see myself getting into the wide band monitoring. So I'm going to try and return this if Hamcity doesn't hit me too hard for doing so. I guess the next thing I need to know, and maybe you have the answer, is whether or not the TM-V71a will sound like the THF6. That's the mobile I was planning to get later this year. But if it carries all the static like the THF6, I will be looking for something else.

Also, for a replacement handheld (since I don't actually own one. The motorola and wouxun are my dad's), I've been thinking about trying the Wouxun KG-UV8D. Do you have any experience with it? And as for the kg-uv6d, is there any way to get rid of that 5sec menu timeout? I can't figure anything out on that HT because it boots me out of the menu.

Thanks a bunch!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Desense is when a strong nearby signal, causes your radio to adjust the AGC for a strong signal. That makes the signal you want to hear sound more static filled.

However, what I hear in your videos sounds typical of my radio, and seems to be inherent in the model.

Sent via Tapatalk

My 2 cents

Having had many HT's and still do, mine is just "ok". I agree with some here that it's older technology but what it does is good enough to eliminate carrying 3 or more radio's when traveling. I feel the S/N ratio could be better and yes I've seen some desense too but again for the price I paid, it's a keeper.

nanZor

.... is whether or not the TM-V71a will sound like the THF6.

That's the dual-band mobile correct? Most mobiles sound waaay better because they use external speakers and have room for higher-quality audio output. I have no experience with the V71 though.

I see the problem here. Had you started out with the F6, you probably wouldn't have been bugged by it. But now that you've heard the Wouxon and especially a Motorola, there is no turning back knowing the difference. As you've heard, high-quality audio doesn't have to be loud, although the moto will blow them all away.

Tip: If you do get the V71 mobile, and use it mobile, then you won't be happy with anything but a true motorola mobile speaker - the kind for two-way radio comms and not the dinky little $40 speakers. Beware of scam artists trying to sell these second hand, as the actual cone is usually ripped out and replaced with trash. Just beware.

That motorola speaker will also do fine as a base station, but here another option to consider for fixed base ops is something like a Palstar SP30B, or maybe SP30-H. Yep, all amateur speakers are waaay overpriced, but if you buy a good one, it may amortize itself out over 40 years of faithful and satisfying service. Just my .02C as audio is always a subjective thing.

I've been thinking about trying the Wouxun KG-UV8D. Do you have any experience with it?

Sorry, no. There are reviews here and elsewhere. Look for audio comments for sure, especially if they seem worse than the uv6d.

And as for the kg-uv6d, is there any way to get rid of that 5sec menu timeout? I can't figure anything out on that HT because it boots me out of the menu.

That's a feature, not a defect. :) The good thing is that if your Dad lets you hang on to it for awhile, you'll get really good at it and you won't mind it so much. The manual is kind of funky, but when you know what it is you want to really do, you can just do it by hand with the menu system. Practice makes it second nature, although some live by the software programming package.

Hamcity - I'm pretty sure that is in Culver City. If you are located in socal, and get hooked on the Wouxon's for some reason, consider looking into 220 activity which wouxon makes a dual band 2m / 220 model. I dig my F6, but also don't mind having the vhf/uhf and 2m/220 wouxons going at the same time. Sometimes I just HAVE to have good audio....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.