• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Thieves Steal Man's Life Savings

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
GreatLakes said:
It's a tragic story, and I do feel sorry for this guy. I find it difficult to understand how someone could be so stupid! Watch the video and decide for yourself.

Thieves Steal Man's Life Savings

A Livingston County man is asking for help finding the thieves who stole a safe that contained his life savings while he and his wife were on vacation.
How in the world could a couple of thieves take an entire vault out of a bank?!? Oh, wait...

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Who keeps their life savings in their home? :roll:

Who doesn't lock the doors on their house these days? :roll:

Ok, I know a lot of people will come back claiming they don't have to lock their doors where they live, but trust me, it will only be a matter of time! You might have the best community in the world, and trust all your neighbors with your life, but all it takes is for one of American's most wanted to drive through town, and you're screwed!

I have two friends who keep huge amounts of cash around because they have some kind of aversion to using bank accounts and credit cards. One of them is at least smart enough to keep most of his money in a locked safe which is well-hidden and chained to his bed (and he does lock his door), but someone could probably still steal it relatively easily if they really wanted to and had the proper tools. The other one carries hundreds of dollars in his wallet pretty much all the time, which IMO is just asking for trouble. I'd send them a link to this story but I don't think it would do much good. They won't get it until it happens to them.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
MaxMan1986 said:
I have two friends who keep huge amounts of cash around because they have some kind of aversion to using bank accounts and credit cards. One of them is at least smart enough to keep most of his money in a locked safe which is well-hidden and chained to his bed (and he does lock his door), but someone could probably still steal it relatively easily if they really wanted to and had the proper tools. The other one carries hundreds of dollars in his wallet pretty much all the time, which IMO is just asking for trouble. I'd send them a link to this story but I don't think it would do much good. They won't get it until it happens to them.
Do they realize how much money they're loosing by not investing that money properly?

N

nec208

It simple a big power out,war,disaster or depression you are not getting you money from the bank.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
nec208 said:
It simple a big power out,war,disaster or depression you are not getting you money from the bank.
During a big power outage, war, or disaster, you might not be able to use your cash even if you have it. During a depression, your cash might get you killed.

In any event, while your money has been sitting between the mattress, or in the shoe box, I've watched my money quadruple in fourteen years.

nec208 said:
YOUR CASH in YOUR OWN HANDS is always better than YOUR CASH in SOMEONE ELSE'S HANDS.
My bank doesn't close (ever). It can never deny a withdrawal or subtract a "service" charge.
The Feds or civil courts can't snatch my hard earned dollars from my account, right or wrong.
My bank is ME. I'm the decider.
I wouldn't be dumb enough to put my cash in a safe or mattress, but it is VERY secure.

Although, admittedly I do have a checking account to which I deposit just enough to pay
bills by check - not a penny more. I use the bank. They do not use me.
Amusingly, when I opened the account, the bank was hungry for customers.
It's a free, lifetime, no minimum balance, no monthly service charge account.
I guess they'll have to kill me to get rid of me.

GreatLakes said:
...I've watched my money quadruple in fourteen years.
In real purchasing power or the number of US Federal Reserve Notes you hold that are steadily declining in value??

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
mikepdx said:
YOUR CASH in YOUR OWN HANDS is always better than YOUR CASH in SOMEONE ELSE'S hands.
My bank doesn't close (ever). It can never deny a withdrawal or subtract a "service" charge.
The Feds or civil courts can't snatch my hard earned dollars from my account, right or wrong.
My bank is ME.

Although, admittedly I do have a checking account to which I deposit just enough to pay
bills by check - not a penny more. I use the bank. They do not use me.
Amusingly, when I opened the account, the bank was hungry for customers.
It's a free, lifetime, no minimum balance, no monthly service charge account.
I guess they'll have to kill me to get rid of me.

In real purchasing power or the number of US Federal Reserve Notes you hold that are steadily declining in value??

I have two bank accounts, use ATM's all the time, on-line banking, write checks, use a debit card, transfer funds between accounts, use direct deposit, etc. Never a fee for over a decade now.

Take a look at what your money would have done in the last five years had you used your cash to purchase Exxon stock:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=XOM&t=5y

It is the cash in your hands that you speak of that is steadily declining in value!

GreatLakes said:
During a big power outage, war, or disaster, you might not be able to use your cash even if you have it. During a depression, your cash might get you killed.

In any event, while your money has been sitting between the mattress, or in the shoe box, I've watched my money quadruple in fourteen years.
No kidding. War? Major Disaster? Your bank account is going to be the least of your worries. Keep a month's worth of water and canned goods in your house, and if you're in a situation where civilization has broken down longer than that, it's time to start thinking about whether or not you have enough ammo...

The biggest problem for people during the big NYC blackout a few years back, was having enough money in singles to pay for stuff when peoples' cash registers were broken down, etc. If you live in the country, you don't have this problem, but if you live in the city it doesn't hurt to keep a hundred bucks in singles around.

mikepdx said:
YOUR CASH in YOUR OWN HANDS is always better than YOUR CASH in SOMEONE ELSE'S HANDS.
My bank is ME. I'm the decider.
I wouldn't be dumb enough to put my cash in a safe or mattress, but it is VERY secure.
OMFG. Please tell me you're trolling with this post. I always thought that people who keep their money in their mattresses (figuratively speaking) fell into the same category as the Yeti or Chupacabro. You can't really be a living example of one. Keeping all your money in your house, safety deposit box, wherever, is the absolute worst thing you can possibly do.

If you're concerned about lawsuits, well, as Captain Jack Sparrow would say - clearly you've never been to Singapore. Get an offshore bank account if you want to protect your money from civil judgements, etc. Singapore or Switzerland will be happy to help you.

MaxMan1986 said:
. One of them is at least smart enough to keep most of his money in a locked safe which is well-hidden and chained to his bed (and he does lock his door), but someone could probably still steal it relatively easily if they really wanted to and had the proper tools.

Thanks for the hint... :)

RC54730 said:
The biggest problem for people during the big NYC blackout a few years back, was having enough money in singles to pay for stuff when peoples' cash registers were broken down, etc. If you live in the country, you don't have this problem, but if you live in the city it doesn't hurt to keep a hundred bucks in singles around.
I lived through that blackout and never heard about that problem, but I guess I was lucky in that I didn't need to make any purchases during the blackout because I had enough food and other supplies in the house. Most blackouts are much shorter than that anyway. It doesn't hurt to keep some emergency cash on hand, but I think a few hundred dollars in singles is a little silly.

LordJ said:
Thanks for the hint... :)
I had a feeling someone was going to say that. :wink:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"One of them is at least smart enough to keep most of his money in a locked safe which is well-hidden and chained to his bed (and he does lock his door), but someone could probably still steal it relatively easily if they really wanted to and had the proper tools."

Thanks MaxMan for telling me where it's hidden and all I need is a bolt cutter to get it. I LIKE people like you no matter what your friends and neighbors think of your BIIIIG MOUTH.

"I lived through that blackout and never heard about that problem, but I guess I was lucky in that I didn't need to make any purchases during the blackout because I had enough food and other supplies in the house."

And the rest stocked up BIG time. Thanks Con Edison, I love you too!

"It doesn't hurt to keep some emergency cash on hand..."

Eh, a brick on hand is better and you'll come away with cash on the OTHER hand too!

"Please tell me you're trolling with this post."

To borrow a line from Pennywise, down here they ALL troll. Thanks guys, you're SO much fun!
A trolling we will go,
A trolling we will go,
Hi ho the merry-o
A trolling we will go.

MaxMan1986 said:
I lived through that blackout and never heard about that problem, but I guess I was lucky in that I didn't need to make any purchases during the blackout because I had enough food and other supplies in the house. Most blackouts are much shorter than that anyway. It doesn't hurt to keep some emergency cash on hand, but I think a few hundred dollars in singles is a little silly.
LOL. Me too - I had to sleep in my office overnight. It was pretty cool seeing the whole city shutdown for the night. Of course, the one time that I didn't bring my cell phone to work, and what happens?!?

kb2vxa said:
Thanks MaxMan for telling me where it's hidden and all I need is a bolt cutter to get it. I LIKE people like you no matter what your friends and neighbors think of your BIIIIG MOUTH.
Wait, let me give you his address! It's 123 Sycamore St... ;)

In all seriousness, I did have some reservations about posting such information on a public forum, but I think it's highly unlikely that anyone here would be able to locate my friend based on the information I provided. Even if you know where I live, I didn't specify whether or not he lives anywhere near me. And even if I was to specify what town he lives in, that town has about 35,000 residents so I think you'd be looking for a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
In this day and age you gotta lock everything down, I live in a very quiet neighbor hood where everyone know everyone and a stranger sticks out like a sore thumb. In the last year, people have had everything and anything outside in their yards stolen from Gas grills to steel Rabbit pens. Alot of it is being turned to scrap im sure. I can see keeping some emergency funds on hand, but to keep your lifes savings where it can be had with little effort, is just foolish and fools and their money part...................Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.