Thinking about a new scanner have DMR programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwko

Hello all and Merry Christmas.

The wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a new scanner. Haven't decided yet, but looking at both the Whistler TRX2 and Uniden BCD536HP. Kind of leaning toward the Whistler for the free DMR upgrade.

My question is, will the programming software for either one of these radios automatically set up DMR frequencies for my county? They are listed in the RR database and have read both of these radios use that database for programming. But also read where others say these channels would need to be setup manually. I'm confused and know nothing about todays scanners.

Thanks in advance

James

Jestre

I'm still brand new at this, but when I bought my 436 a few months ago, I had to manually enter the configuration for the local DMR frequencies, but that was also while the DMR upgrade was still in beta.

I've not checked to see whether they are now included by default, or whether their inclusion (or not) is regional.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello all and Merry Christmas.

The wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a new scanner. Haven't decided yet, but looking at both the Whistler TRX2 and Uniden BCD536HP. Kind of leaning toward the Whistler for the free DMR upgrade.

My question is, will the programming software for either one of these radios automatically set up DMR frequencies for my county? They are listed in the RR database and have read both of these radios use that database for programming. But also read where others say these channels would need to be setup manually. I'm confused and know nothing about todays scanners.

Thanks in advance

James
Welcome to RadioReference, James

If your county's system is loaded in the database, with the correct settings, then you would be able to add the system to your scanner either wit software that supports it, or by appending the system from the database for the scanners that have the database on a memory card.

Which county in Arkansas?

jwko

I decided on the Whistler TRX 2. After downloading and playing with the software, I believe I can program it. I'll know in a few days when I receive it.

jwko

Okay, I received it and had a problem right off the bat. Scanner wouldn't load up. Waiting on main unit is all the scanner would display. Did a little research on RR and found the problem which turned out to be the included SanDisk SD card. Dug out another and wa-la!

Did the updates. Loaded the freqs by county via the scanner then inserted the card to my PC and did a little tweaking, deleting and customizing. The only thing DMR related I had to do was change the mode from FM for my county.

Status
Not open for further replies.