Thinking about a new SW portable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

I am a believer that having a couple radios is a good thing, but why do you even want a new radio when the 398/909 was such a great radio and you have one?

If you are looking for a radio to be more portable, please reconsider the 7600GR. The battery life alone makes this little rig awesome (something the 909 was not known for and the 909x is just as bad).

It's all about new toys. Something different, something new to play with. Since the 398 I have bought and since sold an R75, great rig. I also have my IC-7000 and my R5000 so it's not about finding something better, just different.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I decided to get my portable radios out and do a side by side to maybe help you. Here is my findings.

Sony ICF-2010
Sony 7600GR
Kaito 1103
CCrane CCRadio2E

On FM the 7600GR, 1103, CCrane are all pretty close. The CCrane has the best sound (not the 2010 strong spot)..

On MW the CCrane is the best with the ICF-2010 running a very close second. Again, the CCrane has much better sound (if that interests you). The 1103 and the 7600GR are very good as well. I would say any advantage in this area is small with anything but the CCrane. The CCrane is very good in this area and stands alone (It's made for MW).

On HF broadcast stations (CCrane leaves now, no HF) the ICF-2010 was the best off the whip with the 7600GR and the 1103 tied for second and 909x last. Now, the 909x heard everything the other radios did, just not with the same amount of signal. Both Sonys were very close.

On SSB the 909x was the best. The 7600GR was close with the ICF-2010 coming in last. All the radios heard the same signal just fine (the ICF-2010 is not as precise). This is where the 909x really strut its stuff. Tuning was really nice with the wheel and SSB is as good as the original. The 1103 is not very fun on SSB IMHO, it works well but the BFO is pretty touchy.

Now on sound. The CCrane just whoops all the radios. The second best is the 909x. The 909x is a mixed bag for me. It can sound a little muddy to my ears, sounding almost like someone is talking with a mouth full. The 1103 might be slightly a tad better then the 7600GR. The ICF-2010 is probably around third place, decent sound.

On overall package? I would say on paper the ICF-2010 is of course the best. But for my uses and a radio I can place on my nightstand and just roll over and use in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep, that goes to the 909x. The display is nice and it has got to be one of the quietest radios I have ever seen. My room is full of electronics and that can cause all kinds of buzzes and such, the 909x plugged into the wall is just quiet as can be. The other radios are nice, but the lack of an always on pleasant light kind of kills the experience with them for the night time use.

The best package goes to the 909x. The best overall performance goes to the 2010. The best sound goes to the CCrane. The best portable radio goes to the 7600GR (because of the portable performance and battery life). And of course the best bargain goes to the 1103. The Kaito is a great radio for the 79 dollars I paid.

I hope this might help somewhat.

Boombox

Relating once more to the DX-398 tuning issue -- mine began acting up a little again. After 5 minutes of use the tuning began to act normal.

This time, I noticed the hanging and skipping when I tune upwards, but the tuner acted normal tuning downwards. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from tuning the radio.

I'm giving it another shot of cleaner down the side of the shaft, maybe that will quiet it down. Then again, it may just be wear...

Still a great radio. With the upper HF bands more active recently, it gives me more reason to pull the 398 off the shelf and tune the 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meter ham bands. And the CB outband as well.

nanZor

If I didn't need to drag out the 35A Astron I would play more with my IC-7000 more.

Ah, then don't overlook the Commradio CR-1a (or CR1 upgraded to the latest firmware to be a CR-1a for the most part) :

http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/256366-new-sdr-commradio-cr-1-a.html

Obviously it is in a whole different league than Tecsuns and the like in both performance and price. But, if you want that type of performance running from only a single internal li-ion battery (or 75-300ma from the 12v input), this might be the ticket. I don't recommend telescopic whips, but real external antennas. Had a blast commissioning mine in the last CQWWDX ssb contest. Blew my mind.

SWL'ing with a Palstar SP30B external speaker was a pleasure.

Super-portable users that only use headsets or external speakers may want to remove the large feet if you want to stuff it into a small bag, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

majoco

Stirrer
You have already reached the pinnacle of cheap portable radios - perhaps you should consider aiming a little higher if you are really serious. SDR? Desktop? Good ones are rare but come up on FleaBay.

Boombox

With that Si4734 DSP chip in it the GP-5 should do o.k., although I myself can't get into small digital portables that look like a handie-talkie. :)

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
With that Si4734 DSP chip in it the GP-5 should do o.k., although I myself can't get into small digital portables that look like a handie-talkie. :)

It does look as though it would tend to tip over rather easily, especially with the AM loop or the FM/SW whip extended!

f2

Seems to stand tall just fine.
smiley_bucktooth.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASjrcjtfS0

majoco

Stirrer
I do wish all those so-called 'reviewers' on You Tube would say where they are and what time of day it is, especially when receiving shortwave stations.

kc2kth

Update - purchased Satellit

So just a quick update on an old thread, I picked up the new Satellit (at a great bargain Amazon Warehouse price - it was a return but is in good shape) and couldn't be happier. I've used this radio pretty much daily since I received it on 7 Jan. It's tiny yet outperforms my dx398 and yb400pe - even with a whip that is maybe half the length. It uses the same chipset and firmware I understand as the PL-880 so has neat features (for a tiny radio) such as adjustable bandwidth filters. I've mainly listened to AM broadcast, 40 and 80 meter amateur bands. Can't express really how impressed I am with the radio considering what I was expecting out of something so small.

Boombox

Grundig does design a sensitive radio. My G2 (which probably has a similar chip in it) pulls in plenty on SW with just 8 inches of the whip extended. I get some MW overload sometimes with it at full length -- depends on conditions.

kc2kth

Renewing this old thread again. In mid-Feb Tecsun released the PL-680. I picked up one of these as well. Even though both radios are built on the same chipset I find I'm spending more time with the Tecsun. From a usability and performance perspective I like the 680, ergonomically the Satellit has some advantages. Don't get me wrong the Satellit is no performance slouch either. Just thought I'd throw it out there since I don't see a lot of talk about the 680. Looks like they are sold out at the moment which I suppose is a good sign!

satellit5000

I find I'm spending more time with the Tecsun. From a usability and performance perspective I like the 680, ergonomically the Satellit has some advantages. Don't get me wrong the Satellit is no performance slouch either. Just thought I'd throw it out there since I don't see a lot of talk about the 680. Looks like they are sold out at the moment which I suppose is a good sign!

I recently received my PL660 and I am VERY IMPRESSED with not just the performance, but the intuitive designs put into this powerhouse. The fast/slow tuning step feature is freaking awesome! SSB and Sync are top notch for a portable at this price. Audio is quite good too. I love this portable and may buy the 680 when it's available again and keep the 660 as my back up.

I know the 680 has the exact same layout, but is more sensitive on SW from what I have read, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.