Thinking about getting a Pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Burgdorf

Hey guys (this is my first post! lol)

Anyway. I have a handheld pro-164 scanner from RadioShack. The battery life is just about 5 days and I have rechargable batteries for it. I also have a cord that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter that powers my scanner. I am thinking about using my handheld in my car powered by the cigarette lighter and buying a new pro-163. Anyone have any suggestions? Recommendations?

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Hey guys (this is my first post! lol)

Anyway. I have a handheld pro-164 scanner from RadioShack. The battery life is just about 5 days and I have rechargable batteries for it. I also have a cord that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter that powers my scanner. I am thinking about using my handheld in my car powered by the cigarette lighter and buying a new pro-163. Anyone have any suggestions? Recommendations?

Hi John,

Welcome to RR!

What is your main listening interest?

John_Burgdorf

Just for fun really! Ive had a pro-164 for about a year now and love it. I want to do more professional scanning and get another scanner as well.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
I have the 164, I got it for Christmas last year. It's as good as the 163. Shop around, though. You may find a PSR-400 cheaper, and aside from the bigger volume/squelch knob, it's the same radio.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Things in the DFW metromess are slowly (but surely) changing over to P25, so you may want to think about upgrading to one of the latest digital-capable models.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference!

If you want an analog (rather than digital) desktop/mobile radio, why not compare the Radio Shack 163 that you're considering to the Uniden BCT15XT. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 163 (I've never had one), but with the 163 you will be stuck with only 10 banks, and the BCT15 gives you 100 system quick keys that work like banks but are more efficient in storing your frequencies/systems. It's just something to think about. Also, compare other features of these two, as well as other radios you might be interested in. Here are a couple links to start with:

Pro-163 - The RadioReference Wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15X

Also, note that the BCT15XT comes with a cigarette lighter adapter, making it very easy to use in the car.

Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Police Scanner Radio

Another question to consider is whether there are any digital systems in your area that you'd like to monitor. Take your time, and happy shopping!

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
One more thing!
Keep in mind that the Pro-163 is the base/mobile version of your 164. Therefore, you can just clone your 163 with your 164 via a simple cable and not have to reprogram everything. Any changes you make to one scanner, you dont have to reprogram on the other, just clone. Just wanted to put that out there for ya!...

Manny

John_Burgdorf

One more thing!
Keep in mind that the Pro-163 is the base/mobile version of your 164. Therefore, you can just clone your 163 with your 164 via a simple cable and not have to reprogram everything. Any changes you make to one scanner, you dont have to reprogram on the other, just clone. Just wanted to put that out there for ya!...

Manny

Yes! A scanner friend told me this. What is the name of the cable and where could I get it? Do you know? Thanks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about using my handheld in my car powered by the cigarette lighter and buying a new pro-163. Anyone have any suggestions? Recommendations?

Scanner Master is selling the GRE PSR-400 for $149.99. GRE is the manufacture of the PRO-163. They're identical except for the exterior cosmetic differences, and a minor firmware change in the PRO-163 to show the Radio Shack name. Save yourself $50.00!

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
It's a simple stereo jumper cable. You should have gotten one with your handheld.
Larry

Any stereo audio cable with the mini plug on each end will work. This is the same type of cable many use to connect MP3 players to the AUX jack on the newer cars. This cable is NOT supplied with the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.