Premium Subscriber
Yeah but now the new Sheriff can work towards getting it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Its a voluntary accreditation.

Maybe so, but it's a question of public perception. The public doesn't generally delve too deeply into what accreditation actually entails, they just hear "lost accreditation"; the fact that BCSO had accreditation and lost it does not look good to the public, ie the voters and taxpayers footing the bill for department operations.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Our Department first became accredited in 1993. I worked on that one and each subsequent "inspection" until I retired. While it's really good to have, not having it does not impair a department in any way. Furthermore, I don't think the public really knows what it is nor what it means to have it (or not).

Furthermore, bringing inspectors from other departments, providing room, board, and a vehicle cost us almost $70,000, not counting the fees paid to CALEA (Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies). There were 5 officers who did nothing but "accreditation" for almost 2 months prior to the inspection, taking them away from regular duties.

While they may have lost their accreditation, they are no less a law enforcement agency by not having it.

a417

Our Department first became accredited in 1993. I worked on that one and each subsequent "inspection" until I retired. While it's really good to have, not having it does not impair a department in any way. Furthermore, I don't think the public really knows what it is nor what it means to have it (or not).
Agreed. Made for a nice 4x6 plaque on the lobby wall.

There were 5 officers who did nothing but "accreditation" for almost 2 months prior to the inspection, taking them away from regular duties.
Ours was 1 ofc for well over 2 years.

Gmork

The general public in South Florida could care less about accreditation let alone what it means for BSO. The public for the most part couldn't tell the difference between green uniforms or dark blue uniforms.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. Made for a nice 4x6 plaque on the lobby wall.

Ours was 1 ofc for well over 2 years.
We had one officer permanently assigned. The additional officers worked the last couple of months before the "assessors" showed up.

One of the "features" of the assessment period is a public hearing. It's advertised with PSAs on radio and TV and the newspaper usually donates a few inches for an announcement. We had to beg people to come. Those who come on their own want to complain about one relative or another who was wrongfully convicted in court or other nonsense. The assessors couldn't care less about these non-police matters.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Though you have to admit Israel screwed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, I read the news article and as it turns out, it was a state accreditation and not national. Typically, state accreditations are not as strict as national (CALEA) but my earlier comments still stand. Broward County SO is no less a law enforcement agency.

Georgia has state accreditation also and some departments are opting to dump the national accreditation in favor of state. Some still do both and some neither. Admittedly, meeting all the applicable standards is an admirable quality for any department but it can be done without accreditation. Personally, I found national accreditation to be a pain in the keister and I fail to see how our department really benefited from it, especially considering the amount of money spent on it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And then add in the rankings from National Ass'n of SO's etc... Only the press and public opinion matter in those lil tidbits of paper... THOUGH,... Our SO has a huge big ole sign on the wall outside bragging on being top tier ranked LOL.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And then add in the rankings from National Ass'n of SO's etc... Only the press and public opinion matter in those lil tidbits of paper... THOUGH,... Our SO has a huge big ole sign on the wall outside bragging on being top tier ranked LOL.
I'll be perfectly honest, I was in law enforcement for over 30 years and I've never heard of that group. Admittedly, I was a deputy for only a couple of years before moving to the PD. Anyway, I still believe accreditation recognition has a fleeting effect on the public. John Q. Public is more concerned about the crime in his neighborhood, whether he's gonna get a ticket for that rolling stop or why the local agency is asking for a pay increase. The public simply doesn't understand what accreditation entails and as long as crime stays away from his neighborhood, he doesn't get that ticket and his taxes don't go up, he's happy.

DJ11DLN

I am guessing that at the very worst the loss of accreditation might be seen as something that could possibly sway some jurors in some cases but that would be about it. Something else for the defense attorneys to make hay with. Broward Co. got a little minor egg on their face to go with the major (and IMHO deserved) black eye they got from the school shooting incident...and as with everything else this too in time shall pass.

wardaddy

I am guessing that at the very worst the loss of accreditation might be seen as something that could possibly sway some jurors in some cases but that would be about it. Something else for the defense attorneys to make hay with. Broward Co. got a little minor egg on their face to go with the major (and IMHO deserved) black eye they got from the school shooting incident...and as with everything else this too in time shall pass.

I would think that the first objection by a prosecutor would be that such evidence is not material, and therefore inadmissible due to lack of relevance. If such evidence were to be found relevant, I would think there would be a very valid argument that the evidence should be excluded due to its probative value being substantially outweighed by its tendency to confuse the issues and mislead the jury.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I can't see it being brought up. I would object because, like was said earlier, it's not relevant. There's nothing in the law that requires a department to be accredited and nothing that requires them to follow the recommendations even if they're accredited.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LOL It would be more of a hit to Tourism than anything Public Safety related... Pass along that WOM... "Don't go there, the sheriff lost accreditation, they can't keep you safe..." That kind of thing. But again. its not any real effect on how life is on the ground.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
LOL It would be more of a hit to Tourism than anything Public Safety related... Pass along that WOM... "Don't go there, the sheriff lost accreditation, they can't keep you safe..." That kind of thing. But again. its not any real effect on how life is on the ground.
That assumes the public knows what accreditation is but they don't. I worked with it for too many years. If I brought it up in a conversation, people would say, "That's nice. Anyway, how 'bout them Braves?"

Status
Not open for further replies.